Ken Hallenius

Vieux Pontarlier - What's The Word?

Interesting turn this thread has taken...I prefer Vieux Pontarlier to Pacifique, myself. To me, the former has a more robust flavor, and I guess I like that intensity. This is not to say the latter is bad; just that it makes less of an impression, at least to me.

The VP is really great. It's one of "go-to" absinthes. The Pacifique is amazing, and has an elegance about it and incredibly smooth and balanced. A softer touch absinthe than the VP.

Interesting turn this thread has taken...I prefer Vieux Pontarlier to Pacifique, myself.

I understand what you mean but really it all depends on the mood I'm in at any given moment. Picking only one favorite absinthe would be like picking only one favorite beer. Impossible.

VP is very good absinthe, but that banana-like flavor can get old in a hurry. It's definitely more "full-bodied" than Pacifique, but really, it does come down to mood. My tastes have changed over the years, I think. Pacifique wasn't one of my favorites when it first showed up on the scene, but it's still very good absinthe.

The Pacifique ... balanced.

A fabulously understated descriptor! The amount of work that Marc has put into striking that balance is precisely why it's as acclaimed as it is. I'm glad you're enjoying it! It's a fav of mine too.

A bit of something to suit your mood.
Picking only one favorite absinthe would be like picking only one favorite beer. Impossible.

Truer words have rarely been spoken. Both of you.

VP is very good absinthe, but that banana-like flavor can get old in a hurry

Interesting. I like to describe that aroma and taste more as honey. But now you've put bananas in my brain, I'll have to look for that next time I visit my bottle.

All fair points, to be sure. Pacifique will never be a favorite of mine...there is a hint of white pepper in the flavor that I find a bit distracting. To me, Pacifique is a much more refined version of Lucid, which also has peppery overtones. But of course, this is just my individual taste...there are a couple of very well respected absinthes that I personally just don't care for (Leopold is the other one, for very different reasons).

By the same token, there are a number of absinthes that I think are quite under-rated...Roquette, Duplais, and VP all come to mind.

Which clearly demonstrates why we need more well-crafted absinthes. If we were all the same, we'd only need one brand of soda, toothpaste and automobile. :cheers:

That's a movie waiting to happen.

But seriously, the fact that individual tastes differ, and even tastes of one individual change frequently, it's almost required that there be a variety. I try to never reach for the same bottle twice consecutively.

Oh, I quite agree. But on the subject of VP, it's the one absinthe I've found which fills the role Makers Mark does in the bourbon world: it's very good, and it's reasonably affordable. It has thus become my regular brand.

But, I'm always in the market for Jade, Marteau, Duplais, etc.

Wasn't it Henry Ford that said something like, you can have any color automobile you want as long as it's black?

If it weren't for variety..........I'm lost.

As it is, I just stand and stare blankly into my closet. Keeps me off the street. *smile*

My favorite drink.....is the same as Joe's.....the one in my hand.

Oh, I quite agree. But on the subject of VP, it's the one absinthe I've found which fills the role Makers Mark does in the bourbon world: it's very good, and it's reasonably affordable.

That's how I felt about VP when it came out, best bang-for-buck, but Pacifique has replaced it for me (it's only $1 more than VP at DUNY).

But then, that's how I feel about Buffalo Trace in the bourbon world. :devil:

Different strokes for sure! :cheers:

But then, that's how I feel about Buffalo Trace in the bourbon world. :devil:

Yes, BT does make several very good bourbons...I should have mentioned them!

Just as I was sitting around, reading the forum and wondering what I'm going to do tonight...my order of Vieux Pontarlier arrived...

What can I say? It's been a couple of weeks of exceptional Absinthes.

I think my palate is learning to pull out more of the different flavours now, and I think I might even be understanding the grape vs. grain spirits difference a little...

With a glass of VP in my hand and a splash of it on my tounge I can tell you it is a very well crafted "with love" absinthe. The kind an obsessive chaser of the green fairy would most definatly not be dissapointed in drinking (if there were such thing as most definatly). It is currently my must reorder out of all the absinthes i have, though dont take my advice as expert advice, I just VP. It is simple in its complexity and complex in the simplest of ways. A great way to relax at the end of a hot day. Not overwhelming but never dissapointing. mmmm mmmm good. :3872-DrunkBanana:

It is simple in its complexity and complex in the simplest of ways. A great way to relax at the end of a hot day.

This is a perfect description (and it rhymed, too!) I think VP got overshadowed a bit when the DP absinthes and Pacifique hit the scene, but you'll always find a bottle in my "stash" :cheers: I'll be cracking open a new bottle when summer finally gets here!

open it,have a few glasses and then let it sit for two weeks and try again...it comes into its own in a big way.

...I prefer Vieux Pontarlier to Pacifique, myself. To me, the former has a more robust flavor, and I guess I like that intensity. This is not to say the latter is bad; just that it makes less of an impression, at least to me.
The VP is really great. It's one of "go-to" absinthes. The Pacifique is amazing, and has an elegance about it and incredibly smooth and balanced. A softer touch absinthe than the VP.

Having had Pacifique and seeing how i savored each mouthful as if it were the last breathe i was ever going to take i am looking forward to comparing these two when my package of joy arrives tomorrow with a bottle of each and a Duplais Verte

Edited by Songcatcher

The VP is a really fine absinthe, but my guess is that if push came to shove, Pacifique would be your desert island pick between those two.

I first tried VP in a bar and it was good enough to make me want to buy a bottle, which I did. I enjoyed it well enough but I'm not sure I like it enough to buy again unless there is nothing better available. I prefer Pacifique and Duplais Verte. Those two, and Ridge V, are my favorites.

VP was one of the first absinthes, along with Pacifique, that showed me Grande Absente (my first) was not all that absinthe had to offer. Were it not for these two, I likely would not have continued exploring. Pacifique and VP have been on many occasions what I have introduced newbies to. Without fail, these people have continued on to explore on their own.

VP was one of the first absinthes, along with Pacifique, that showed me Grande Absente (my first) was not all that absinthe had to offer. Were it not for these two, I likely would not have continued exploring. Pacifique and VP have been on many occasions what I have introduced newbies to. Without fail, these people have continued on to explore on their own.

Another virgin with their cherry popped by the "grand absence" eh?

:wave2:

Oh hell i really like this first glass of VP. Been savoring it for about an hour now, which is really unusual for me. I usually have a glass gone in about 30 min. Maybe its the grape base? or just a new absinthe for me but i'm diggin' it. I taste faint hints of flavors i find in Lucid and Pacifique. May change my mind further into the bottle but for now i'm happy with it.

Edited by Songcatcher