Ken Hallenius

Vieux Pontarlier - What's The Word?

A little DV, VC and VP in the wrong hands could eventually lead to DP, I'm afraid. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact... I'm looking very forward to trying DakiniPaintersinthe

Tonight, I am giving the VP yet another attempt to win my love. I sincerely want to like this, but I cannot get past an over-ripened banana quality in the aroma and taste. Oh well.

That's it! It's the funky banana that's been putting me off. Good call!

I'm looking very forward to trying DakiniPaintersinthe

I can't wait to try It!

The rest of the party sounded like something that would happen at one of our fire dept. parties.

...which is this Saturday! :mbanana: :drunk:

A little DV, VC and VP in the wrong hands could eventually lead to DP, I'm afraid. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Bah, like there's no potential for VD in a circumstance like that.

:laugh: I hereby rescind the irresponsible and perhaps unscrupulous notion that deviant acts such as train-running are without their faults.

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact... I'm looking very forward to trying DakiniPaintersinthe

I think we all are looking forward to a nip. Someone prod the state government to make haste!

so i have been doing my research trying to decide what type i am going to pop my cherry with and i have decided on ordering a bottle of VP from DUNY's. I guess I will give my 2 cents after I enjoy a glass or two.

so i have been doing my research trying to decide what type i am going to pop my cherry with and i have decided on ordering a bottle of VP from DUNY's. I guess I will give my 2 cents after I enjoy a glass or two.

Good choice! :thumbup:

I recently received a batch of VP, Marteau and Leopold from DUNY. I've been letting them breath and sit for a few days (not the entire time), and I just tried the VP now. It's pretty good, better than I was expecting.

Good choice! :thumbup:

i sure hope so! i am just wondering. i see a lot of mention of letting it breathe. what is everyones take on that? should i let it sit open a day or so? im a huge fan of anise, so i know i am going to like it no matter what. im also thinking of a 3:1 ratio with water. any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Not trying to be a hard ass, but... *cough...cough*

post-669-1234656267_thumb.jpg

I did not know people would get offended if I did not use the shift key. My apologies. I left English class 10 years ago...

No problem at all. A lot of people are used to a certain informality in internet forums that suprises them when they come here. It's just part of our rules of decorum here. Now go have some fun!

1. Read the Absinthe FAQ and search the forums before asking questions.

2. Be Polite. Have Respect. Be nice, or go away.

3. Spell-check; use the shift key (capitalize). Refrain from chat-speak; Don't quote the last post.

4. No flaming; No Trolls; No Puppets (aliases).

5. Respect Privacy.

6. Try To Stay On Topic.

7. No Political or Religious Debates or Gibes.

8. Be Hospitable.

9. NO SPAM. Don't join this forum just to sell things.

10. No Hobbyist Distilling Discussion; Don't Ask, Don't Tell. This is not the place for it. This is.

11. No Offensive Avatars or Signatures. They'll be removed at the admins' discretion.

Is V.P. truly a top notch absinthe or is it the case that it gets a lot of bonus points for being avail. in the U.S.? How does it taste compared to Un Emile 68? (better? different?) The Emile Pernot distillery definitely went up a lot in my book with the release of Doubs Mystique & Roquette...

I like it, as I've stated several times in this and other threads. VP has an aroma and a taste that invite you to take your time. The wormwood isn't as assertive as in some other marques (say, for example, Leopold Bros or Duplais), but it seems very balanced and multilayered. It can handle a water ratio of 4:1 without falling apart or losing mouthfeel, which makes for more sips per glass (at the same dose/cost). The color is crystal clear emerald, and the bottle and label are attractive. It's pretty much what I look for in a bottle of absinthe.

The value proposition of VP is what really sells the product for me: at $65, I can have a glass of this tasty beverage every day for just over a month, and save the really good stuff (e.g., Marteau, CLB, Jade PF1901) for weekends and bank holidays, stretching my absinthe dollar to the max!

I see a lot of people recommending a higher water:absinthe ratio for this absinthe (4+:1), but last night I actually watered this stuff closer to 2.5:1 and I thought it was much better. If I water it more than 3:1 there's something in there that reminds me of the Obsello, which I don't care for. The fennel really came forward at the lower dilution, and it tasted wonderful.

I'm actually coming to the realization that I like most of my absinthe stronger than the majority of people do. 2.5:1 is becoming a nice sweet spot for me for most products, and I've found some to be exceptional at 2:1. Jules would probably be horrified.

Just cracked open my new bottle and posted a review. I won't go into much detail here, but man, so far the best I've had. I found it lacking in some areas, but overall absolutely delicious! Now I don't have to waste my money on Pernod just as an alternative to Kübler and Lucid. Truly my first, official, absinthe!!!

I don't have any photographic equipment useful enough to do any absinthe justice--or anything else for that matter. Sorry. But, now that you dragged this thread up to the top I'll have to sample some VP. If just to make sure it's still good.

It is, by the way!