• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#121 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

I'm really curious about the color, and as much as I look, I can't find a picture. Anyone mind snapping a shot of VP in the glass, and maybe even post louche. Thanks.

:cheers:

HH

Ever had something from the Matter distillery? That's how it looked to me. (I really just posted to keep up with pt447, but it's still true).
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#122 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

Good luck, I'm well louched and bored. Bad combination!
Life is moist and stinky

#123 Phoenix

Phoenix

Advansed Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:41 PM

Me too, and I gotta keep up. The mods are ever diligent and wonderful people so....

TITTY SPRINKLES!!!
"He's a politician. It's like being a hooker. You can't be one unless you can pretend to like people while you're f***ing them."

#124 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:46 PM

I almost spewed my Lucid/Pernod concoction on that one. Bravo!

*EDIT* I submit. You win. I'm out!
Life is moist and stinky

#125 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:10 AM

I've never had a Matter-Luginbühl absinthe but I have seen pictures, if there's one thing I can say about Oliver is that he knows how to color absinthe.

:cheers:

HH
HH

#126 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:22 AM

Careful!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#127 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:22 AM

Me too, and I gotta keep up. The mods...

Backtrack. :devil:

#128 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:21 AM

Careful!

Yea I don't get the whole suspicion towards Matter-Luginbühl on the subject of the coloring, is there a thread with that discussion going on. I mean, the only one that is suspiciously green is DV, and even then.
HH

#129 dakini_painter

dakini_painter

Delaware Phoenix Distillery

• 3,823 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:04 AM

It started here.

Regardless of what you want to believe, what matters is how it tastes.
I haven't met a person yet that buys absinthe simply to look at it.
"Good is the only investment that never fails." Thoreau.
"Don't you push me baby cause I'm holdin' low / and you know I'm only in it for the gold" Grateful Dead
Delaware Phoenix Distillery, Walton, NY. www.delawarephoenix.com

#130 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

I haven't met a person yet that buys absinthe simply to look at it.

Where's that quote board?
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#131 vpoppv

vpoppv

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:46 PM

I haven't been to this forum in a while, but the appearance of Vieux Pontarlier triggered a purchase. I have to say that, for what it's worth, it is hands down my favorite absinthe. Of course, I haven't experienced much: 2 bottles Kübler, 2 bottles Lucid, 1 bottle St Georges Spirits. I also had a bottle of Absente (yeah, I know but that was a gift from my mom). It just seems to have no drawbacks. Kübler seems too one-dimensional to me. Lucid has this odd aftertaste I can't describe, sort of like it might have been awesome at one time, but was just kept in the back of a cupboard for too long. I love the St Georges, but it seems a little TOO complex. Very spicy-reminds me of one of my favorite drinks:Chartreuse (which is great, but I don't know that absinthe traditionally has so much going on in terms of spices-like I could swear I taste basil or thyme in it!). I kind of like Absente too, sort of like how I like a dessert wine compared to regular wine. The Vieux Pontarlier though....from the second I opened the bottle I knew I would love it- the smell was terrific. The color was my favorite. The taste was, for me anyway, not too strong in any one category. I didn't taste any mint or bananas that others have found though. Just very easy and pleasant to drink!

#132 pt447

pt447

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:07 AM

It is delicious. My current #2!
Life is moist and stinky

#133 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

I'm still very much on the bandwagon when it comes to Vieux Pontarlier. I've had all of the commercial offerings available in the USA, and it's way up near the top of the list for me. It's a great value, no doubt, and the flavor is delightful.

When Pacifique begins to get more national distribution, then VP will likely take 2nd place in the quality/value race. But as far as the race for the domestic market stands today, VP is tops, in my opinion.
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#134 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:04 PM

I love the stuff. But if Pacifique is going to best VP, I can't wait for my bottle to arrive!
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#135 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,410 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I love the stuff. But Pacifique is going to best VP, I can't wait for my bottle to arrive!

There, that's better. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#136 Bkultra

Bkultra

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:28 PM

Lucid has this odd aftertaste I can't describe

I always describe it as if I drank from a dirty glass (musty) with just a hint of pepper.

#137 Pontarlier

Pontarlier

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 05:15 PM

I thought it was nice for a change when I first tried it. To be fair, it doesn't have the Wow! factor of some other brands, but I am a fan for the variety. It does not overwhelm and is kind of like a light sipping absinthe. Louching takes longer and doesn't go to the ultrawhites; isn't a quick one.

Some have mentioned an aftertaste of green banana, and I laughed at first, but understand what they mean (hints of everything; don't let that ruin your experience).

But I think it's more that there isn't a strong aftertaste. Others are more pungent to the tongue. I think it is unique and basic, and not so assuming enough to be in the underappreciation arena.

I must come clean about my personal tastes. I still have a great fondness for the French and Swiss absinthes as a general rule. This doesn't cloud my judgement in trying to be objective.

I'm just predisposed to hold off on my trust of the "newest and greatest" American versions and the Mansithes out there (you know those red devils, gothic hyped bottles anything designed purely for the thujone factor that borderlines the home kit variety... that may likely make you very sick). Well, there I go again... off topic.

Enjoy the taste and the fact that there are good quality absinthes out there.
Emile Pernot makes a good product... tempted to give it a 7 out of 10 for tradition.
you can always claim the woodworms did it.

#138 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,410 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

Lucid has this odd aftertaste I can't describe

I always describe it as if I drank from a dirty glass (musty) with just a hint of pepper.

That's a pretty good assessment.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#139 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:56 AM

There, that's better. :cheers:

Agreed. Pacifique stands head and shoulders above VP IMHO. Granted, I'm a member of the minority that doesn't care for VP, but I can appreciate the quality of its craftsmanship. It's just that Pacifique is damn near close to perfection.
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#140 precenphix

precenphix

Dreamer / Noise-maker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

I'll have to post more on this in the appropriate thread later on, but Pacifique is wonderful. Had my first taste last night. Excellent absinthe. Sometime down the line I'll have to have it side by side with VP.
Those with knowledge easily sense the truth of things. Those with egos built up on rumor and fancy, tend to maintain a hard line. - Tatan (Evan Camomile)

#141 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,894 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:48 PM

Pacifique stands head and shoulders above VP IMHO. Granted, I'm a member of the minority that doesn't care for VP, but I can appreciate the quality of its craftsmanship.

I am also a member of that minority and agree completely. VP is well made but Pacifique is much better.

#142 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

I'll do a side by side of the two and get back to you. I liked VP but Pacifique was the last one I tasted and I need a refresher or atleast an excuse. *devil grin*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#143 mesteele

mesteele

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

Santa brought me a bottle of VP for Christmas. I must say it might be my new favorite (with the understanding there are many I have yet to try). I thought it had a great flavor, a nice mouthfeel and just enough bite. Really a good absinthe. Color me impressed.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#144 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

I like VP. It's got a very pleasing and distinct aroma that reminds me a little of honey, and whenever I smell another absinthe with a similar aroma, I immediately think of VP.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#145 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

Pacifique in my opinion is much better than VP..but that is my opinion...
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#146 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:12 PM

Your opinion is a wonderful thing! I wasn't comparing them at all though, just making a comment on the VP. I also like Pacifique, fwiw. Marc knows a little bit about booze.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#147 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:05 PM

...very little. :devil:

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#148 mesteele

mesteele

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

Haven't tried Pacifique yet, it's on the list along with many more like MOL. It's tough to get many absinthe brands in Texas. The local liquor stores only carry Lucid and Kübler along with the swill like LTV and DUNY won't ship to Texas. But I am slowly but surely finding my way.

Happy Holidays!
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#149 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:10 PM

VP is one of those weird ass dream drinks for me.
It doesn't stop me though.. Dripped my first one at 4 today and been non stop since...
It'll be like Alice in Wonderland tonight..

~smile~

#150 StephanieElise

StephanieElise

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Just found out I could get it in Orange County, much to my surprise.
now its VP or Vieux Carre for my next go...
"Let me be mad...
mad with the madness
of Absinthe, the wildest, most
luxurious madness in the world."
~Marie Corelli

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association