185 replies to this topic

#31 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Golly, now you've gone and gotten me more excited than a puppy with two peckers. The Jade PF 1901 is one of those that I've been dying to try, given the overwhelmingly positive response exhibited here on the boards and in the reviews. I haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on a bottle purchase yet (mainly because my bride would disapprove of the expense rather vociferously).

Don't you just hate it when the wimmin' start gettin' all vociferous?

So if the VP is very reminiscent of the PF 1901, and available easily in the US, I can't wait for my order to arrive on Tuesday!

It's gonna be a happy Tuesday!
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#32 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:14 PM

Open the Sirene.
From my experience, it goes from mildly curious to very good after opening and a little time. I was delightfully impressed.

I must concur. At first the grain base kind of put me off, but as that oderiferous sharpness cooled out in days. In the time I've gone through the bottle(not a long time) it has smoothed out considerably smellwise and tastewise as well. Now at less than a third full it's a much smoother product, and in a short time. I will definitely sit on my next bottle a bit longer just for science's sake.

I must say I find Roquette and PF 1901 to be not too similar, the 1797 being a much more forwardly complex and medicinal type thing. It's not bad, I actually like the stuff a lot (although I wouln't drink them with each other).... I just am having an interesting time finding a place for a cross between the two on my theoretical palate.

As far as VP, haven't tried it, I guess it will have to be a sample in trade, if I have anything in stock anyone's interested in. I ain't buyin' any more Absinthe for a while. Too damn much money. Any of y'all producers or other holders of precious bottles willing to do some sort of work trade are of course a whole' nother story.... :dev-cheers:

And spin, if necessary.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#33 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:23 PM

†And spin, if necessary

Yikes! Now that's some vivid imagery!

#34 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:13 AM

The delivery date for my VP is Christmas eve. Won't that be a dandy stocking stuffer! *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#35 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:07 AM

I must say I find Roquette and PF 1901 to be not too similar, the 1797 being a much more forwardly complex and medicinal type thing.

I agree, they are quite different. I wouldn't call the VP a cross between the PF 1901 and the Roquette, exactly. If it's between the two, it's closer to 1901, but neverthess it does share some of the "forwardly complex" qualities of the Roquette. It's not medicinal, but its "herbal" characteristics are more overt than is the case with the 1901, which I at least find very subtle and refined.

At any rate, though I still slightly prefer the 1901, the VP will be a frequent purchase for me in future.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#36 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

At any rate, though I still slightly prefer the 1901, the VP will be a frequent purchase for me in future.

Yesterday, I did a comparative review of the Edouard, and the PF 1901, which are posted on the main site. I have been curious for a while now to do a side by side look at the VP and PF 1901. Should be an interesting eye opener!

#37 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

Should be an interesting eye opener!

I don't normally start the day with Absinthe but I am snowed in...........hmmm....

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#38 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

I don't normally start the day with absinthe either, but for evaluation purposes, I'm never sharper than I am mid-morning to early afternoon.

That oughta' help push you over the edge! :devil:

#39 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

I hear that. My prime tasting time is early afternoon, after a small breakfast, a dog walk and whatever household crap I gotta do that day. Then I can chill and actually PTFA to the Booze. Later in the day I drink stuff I already know and find appropos to the occasion.

Just for the record I've been hittin' the La Coquette on this cold and snowy day, although the Promethee continues to silently beckon from the shelf, today just ain't the day........

#40 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

I'm totally on board with the snow day thing. Actually, I've been on the snow day wagon for the last 4 days. Mostly cool, but I was looking forward to multiple get together and absinthizing opportunities with friends. Oh, well, an excellent occasion to start earlier than usual.

Hopefully I'll have the chance to try the VP in the near future, but until then, I'm saving for a certain verte that should be appearing on local shelves.
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#41 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

Curse your oily hides! A bottle of VP, a Marteau spoon and a bottle of Krahn JUST qualify for free shipping on DUNY. I told myself I wouldn't buy any more until after the new year.

#42 Green Baron

Green Baron

Advanced Decomposition

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

Having so many great absinthe choices is a really nice dilemma to have! :mbanana:
This post has been edited over and over again by Green Baron

Chasing the green fairy in my triplane!

"A decorous absinthe will persuade your whisper away with its hooch essence..."

#43 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

Things are getting better.......better all the time!

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#44 Guy Lupadre

Guy Lupadre

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

I just picked up a bottle of Vieux Pontarlier from DUNY last week. I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet (I'm saving it for Xmas Eve :cheers: ) but I chose it based on the reviews written here.

I was actually in close enough proximity to drive over there and pick it up from them in person. Their store is officially called Borisal Liquor & Wine and is located on the corner of 4th Ave & 10th St. in Brooklyn. As I pulled up to the store I got scared for a second because they had all of their rolling doors down and it looked closed. Only after I walked up to the front door did I realize that they were in there, closed up and feverishly packing up online orders. Luckily I called ahead and they were expecting me, so they let me in and showed me their selection. They were pretty helpful and nice, they also highly recommended the VP. I was torn between that and the Duplais, but I went with the VP in the end. I'm no Rockerfeller, so it's one at a time for me.

This'll be only my second bottle. My first was the La Muse Verte Especialle, ordered from eabsinthe.com (a.k.a. Asanine Shipping Costs.com).
Music (mostly) produced under Absinthe's cloak of intoxication:

www.myspace.com/guylupadre

www.myspace.com/grumptruck

www.purevolume.com/grumptruck

#45 Tally Ho

Tally Ho

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:03 PM

I just received my order from DUNY 2 hours ago. Now I can get these samples ready for Christmas after all. They are getting air into them as we speak. I'll be having the VP on Christmas Eve.

Upon checking my email I also noticed that they plan on having the Leopold Bros. in stock in a mere matter of days and are taking pre-orders right now. I've been meaning to try the "Fair Maiden" sake as well, and notice that a bottle of each JUST qualifies for the free shipping.

Time to warm the credit card up again...
Porkchops are good

#46 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

The VP is in da glass! :cheers:

While my head is still functional, I believe I'll do a review, but I may not post it until I've had another glass, tonight or tomorrow.
- cogito ergo louche

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. - Neil Gaiman

#47 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

Love your signature! In Verte Veritas!

#48 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

I'm eagerly awaiting the delivery of my VP (and the other delights that DUNY has sent along), but I'm really kind of worried. The weather has been f$cking stuff up in PDX these last few days. My box was scheduled to be delivered to my office tomorrow (Christmas Eve), but my company will be closed due to the weather. What a pisser.

Looks like I'll have the VP to look forward to in the post-Christmas louche-fest...
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#49 Rhonda Weins

Rhonda Weins

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

Mine gets delivered on New Years Eve. Good excuse to go to work!

#50 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

In Verte Veritas!

Tru dat.
- cogito ergo louche

I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it. - Neil Gaiman

#51 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

Mine arrived today and the drip is on!

Cheers!

#52 Greenhorn

Greenhorn

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

Heavens, it's good! I think this might be my new #1.
If you're not part of the louchin' you're part of the problem.

#53 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

After having a couple glasses, I'll probably order more. Pretty nice drink. *smile*

Cheers!

#54 Eric S.

Eric S.

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

My GOD, this is the most tasty out of all the Absinthe's this tongue has tasted. Got my shipment from DUNY alongside a bottle of Mansinthe, and this one by far takes the cake. The Wormwood tastes very fresh like it had just been plucked from the field. With each and every sip it reminds me of heaven opening up, deep down inside my soul.

Compared with the Mansinthe, this one earns a whole extra star or two on my five star system, and will be a friend to have around the home year round. Every sip is a delight, now, the only question I have left to ask is just what could possibly be better?

#55 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

Another bottle?

#56 Eric S.

Eric S.

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Another bottle?

Or two? It even lingers taste wise for 5 minutes, making one continuously want more and more.

#57 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:05 PM

...which is why I ordered my second bottle yesterday, as my first one is just at half-full right now. I really am drinking the VP in sets of three. That makes for lovely evenings, as I've always told people that with absinthe, "One is nice, two is too much, and three is insanity."
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#58 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

"One is nice, two is too much, and three is insanity."

I'd say that makes sense, but...

#59 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,187 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

Welcome to the asylum!

Cheers!

#60 Meatwaggon

Meatwaggon

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:03 PM

So who's going to post a review of this one before I commit to buying a bottle from DUNY? :thumbup:
"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Helfrich verte" - Anthony Hopkinns
"Leave the gun. Take the Rossoni" - Peter Clemenzza
"Give me wormwood, or give me death!" - Patrick Henrry
"I find your lack of louche....disturbing" - James Earl Jjones
"No maceration without distillation!" - Reverend Jonathan Mayhhew
"It is by absinthe alone I set my mind in motion" - Frank Herrbert

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association