• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#1 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:51 AM

Aside from fingerpickinblue's one review, does anyone have any experience/thoughts about Vieux Pontarlier? I ordered my bottle from DUNY tonight, along with some Creme de Violette and Domaine de Canton, and I eagerly await the promised ship date of Monday, December 15.

As they say in Tijuana, "Que es las palabras del calle?"
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#2 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

From what I know, DUNY should have it by the end of next week, or early the following week.

Other than that, I think I'll try it again this weekend. Haven't had one in a month.
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#3 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

I ordered my bottle from DUNY tonight, along with some Creme de Violette and Domaine de Canton, and I eagerly await the promised ship date of Monday, December 15.

I went ahead and ordered a bottle of the Vieux Pontarlier as well, in part because I've enjoyed other products from that distillery...fingers crossed....

Btw, has anyone been down to Best Cellars (Dupont Circle, in Washington DC)? Leopold Brothers website states that their absinthe verte can be purchased there, but I thought I'd inquire about the place before I made the trek into town.
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#4 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

Always call them before you make a special trip. They'll hold a bottle for you, if you'd like. Really nice people there.

You can also get it special order from the VABC if you're in VA.

Cheers.

#5 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:31 AM

As they say in Tijuana, "Que es las palabras del calle?"

I think you mean: "Quales son las palabras de la calle?" or "Qual es la palabra de la calle?"
:pirate:

Btw, has anyone been down to Best Cellars (Dupont Circle, in Washington DC)? Leopold Brothers website states that their absinthe verte can be purchased there, but I thought I'd inquire about the place before I made the trek into town.

It's always a good idea to check our travel guide. :cheers:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#6 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

... any experience/thoughts about Vieux Pontarlier?

Based on this thread, I decided to revisit this. I've been wanting to anyway, since I have experienced some other top absinthes since writing the review.

I just tasted it, and read the review. I also tried dilutions of 4/1 and 5/1. This is what I observed, compared to the review.

At 3/1.

Color - Same
Louche - Seemed faster than before. Still attractive, but completely opaque by 1/1.
Aroma - Anise/fennel much more dominate now, especially when cold. As temperature comes up, it's back to being the worrmwood drink I remember.
Flavor - Same as aroma. More anise/fennel when cold. Really plump fruity anise.
Finish - Same
Overall - Mostly same, except for the shift in anise and fennel. The whole anise and fennel profile is just much less coy than when this was first opened. I am not inclined, at this time, to change any of my ratings for the categories.

At 4/1 there is a very pretty shift to more herbal/floral, and less spice. I'm beginning to realize that what I recognized as spice, in my earlier tastings, may have partially been just over condensed herbals in these better made absinthes, and they need more water.

At 5/1 everything spreads out a little more and that alpine meadow thing becomes apparent.

Since the review, other top absinthes I've tried are Jade Edouard, PF 1901, La Coquette, and Marteau AdlBE. I would say that the VP hangs with this whole group, with it's own attitude. The Jades and Marteau are more tightly wound, dense, sleek, stately. La Coquette, in your face, herbal, just a little wild. The VP is like the curvy blond in the bikini. Instantly likable, plump in all the right places, easy on the eye.

I think for all who are waiting, the end of the trail will be worth it!

#7 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Now available for pre-sale. We expect to have this item in stock on or around yesterday. :twitchsmile:

#8 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

I just got notice that my pre-order was charged to my card yesterday, so I anticipate some shipping info today!
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

#9 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:21 PM

I just got notice that my pre-order was charged to my card yesterday, so I anticipate some shipping info today!

I received a shipping notice today...looks as though they are rolling it out.

#10 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

Odd. I put my pre-order in almost three weeks ago and I haven't heard anything.

When did everybody else place theirs?
I am mot suffering from mental illness
Quite the contrary! I'm enjoying every minute!

#11 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

I ordered just last Friday evening, but I haven't gotten a shipment confirmation yet - just notice that my credit card was charged, which normally they don't do before they ship a pre-ordered item.

#12 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Okay, all is well. Got home from work and there was a message in my inbox saying it has shipped.
Gonna be a green Christmas! :thumbup:

Oh, and a white one, too. Because there's a bottle of La Clandestine in with the other two! :cheers:

#13 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:39 PM

I placed an order for the stuff today along with a couple other things. I hope it makes it. If it doesn't, I reckon I'll be squeezing the last few drops from other assorted bottles.

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#14 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

If anyone out there is willing to trade for a sample, please PM me. :thumbup:

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15 Butch Onufrak

Butch Onufrak

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

I would be happy to send you a sample once it arrives. No trade is
necessary. Poor.. there is a sample of something on it's way to you and
Brooks the offer is still open... Yeah I know.....but thought I would try..
:cheers:

#16 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

The word from Marlow is...

...excellent!

This is by far the best absinthe on the regular US market that I've tried thus far. However, I have yet to sample Leopold, Marteau, St. George or Duplais, so clearly I have a lot of work ahead of me! (Ah, well, I'll try to shoulder that burden as best I can....)

#17 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:22 PM

Yeah, I was always just trying to be conservative when I wrote the review and my follow-up. Thanx for the validation. I have not, as yet, tried the Leopold, but hope to do so soon. The Marteau, as I said, is right in this league. You owe it to yourself!

#18 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Yeah, I was always just trying to be conservative when I wrote the review and my follow-up. Thanx for the validation. I have not, as yet, tried the Leopold, but hope to do so soon. The Marteau, as I said, is right in this league. You owe it to yourself!

I'm trying to put my finger on why I like the VP so much...I think its flavor/aroma profile falls somewhere between two of my other favorites, the PF 1901 from Jade and the Roquette from Emile Pernot. It's clearly a cousin of the Roquette, but on the whole is a much more conventional absinthe, I would say.

As for the Marteau, I'm just waiting for Hiram to get it to DUNY or somewhere local to me. I've been eager to try it for a long time.

In the short term, though, I'm thinking I'll wait for the Leopold to reach DUNY, at which point I can grab a bottle of that and another bottle of VP as well....

#19 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

I would be happy to send you a sample once it arrives. No trade is
necessary.

Yet again, another sign that the WS is full of downright great people. :cheers:

WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#20 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

• Content Team
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Well, a bird told me that Marteau is in the works to get to DUNY, soon.

As for VP, it's funny that you say PF 1901, because I have described it to a couple of other people as having the same general aromatic and flavor profile as the PF 1901, but on a much more voluptuous and ebullient frame. The 1901 is a lot the same as the VP, just more tightly wound.

I have the Roquette, but have not opened it yet.

I did try the Maitresse this past weekend, and the gene pool is similar.

#21 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

I clearly need to spend more time talking to birds.

I have the Roquette, but have not opened it yet.

I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. I think it's wonderful, but I get the sense that it's not an absinthe to inspire a lukewarm reaction, one way or the other.

#22 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:42 PM

As for VP, it's funny that you say PF 1901, because I have described it to a couple of other people as having the same general aromatic and flavor profile as the PF 1901, but on a much more voluptuous and ebullient frame. The 1901 is a lot the same as the VP, just more tightly wound.

Golly, now you've gone and gotten me more excited than a puppy with two peckers. The Jade PF 1901 is one of those that I've been dying to try, given the overwhelmingly positive response exhibited here on the boards and in the reviews. I haven't had the guts to pull the trigger on a bottle purchase yet (mainly because my bride would disapprove of the expense rather vociferously). Even the Jade PF 1901 sample that I received in trade has been lovingly squirreled away for a very special day, when my palate is trained and my house is in order... and that day hasn't presented itself yet.

So if the VP is very reminiscent of the PF 1901, and available easily in the US, I can't wait for my order to arrive on Tuesday!

#23 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:10 AM

has been lovingly squirreled away for a very special day.

I put away my very best for Christmas or if a special guest drops by. I like the PF 1901 quite a bit and need to order more. The bottle isn't empty but why wait. There are some pretty nice CO's becoming easier to purchase here in the USofA.

My VP hasn't been shipped yet so I wait. Tappity tappity!

Cheers!
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#24 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

I'm trying to put my finger on why I like the VP so much...I think its flavor/aroma profile falls somewhere between two of my other favorites, the PF 1901 from Jade and the Roquette from Emile Pernot.

My ears just perked right up! The PF 1901 is (so far) my favorite CO; guess I need to add a bottle of VP to my Christmas list.

Now this thread has my full attention. Looks like it's going to be a very Happy New Year indeed! :cheers:
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#25 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

My order has been shipped. *yippee*

I also sent them a note asking about Leopold #14 and Marteau. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Cheers!

#26 Greenhorn

Greenhorn

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

Just got my shipping notice too. Now if a certain package from Frace arrives at the same time that would be just cosmic!
If you're not part of the louchin' you're part of the problem.

#27 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

When I place an order during the holidays, I expect delays. A couple years ago my order didn't arrive by Christmas but by golly we had a fine New Years eve. *smile*

I'll certainly post as soon as my parcel arrives.

Cheers!

#28 uglybiker

uglybiker

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:36 PM

I also sent them a note asking about Leopold #14 and Marteau. Couldn't hurt to ask.

Now all they need is Sirene and they could be a one-stop shop!

#29 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

I have an unopened bottle of Sirene. The sample a generous member sent to me was less than impressive.....at that moment in time. I ain't skeered, I'll give it another go. Maybe this weekend.

#30 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

Open the Sirene.
From my experience, it goes from mildly curious to very good after opening and a little time. I was delightfully impressed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association