Butch Onufrak

Matter's Christmas Absinthe

With some of their offerings being available domestically now, I can't see myself ordering any of their stuff from overseas, even if it is a special holiday release.

Every year (since 2005), Matter-Luginbühl creates a special Christmas absinthe with a special label. I've designed the 2007 label, and I'm very fond of that absinthe. This year's version (2008) has cocoa in the destillate, which smells and tastes really nice in combination with the other herbs. When I had a sip, it wasn't coloured yet, of course, and I don't know how the chocolatey thing is going to smell and taste afterwards, but I truly hope it's still as strong.

Too bad there's not much if any write-ups on it/them.
Many people on the German absinthe forum say it's a delicious treat; that the 2007 version was a really good one (better than its predecessor); some say they wish they had bought more than one bottle.

Looking forward to trying the Weihnachtsabsinthe 2007; I ordered a bottle only yesterday (when they still had a few bottles left – today I see they are gone!). The 2007 edition contains A.a., anise, fennel, angelica, orange peels, coriander, badiane, cardamom, cinnamon and A. pontica.

I've always thought of the Montmartre as the "Christmas absinthe", with its cinnamon notes; it will be interesting to compare it with this one. :)

Might be a good idea to pick up a bottle (or two) of the 2008 version now, while it's still in stock. Cocoabsinthe... chocolabsinthe... Intriguing, indeed!

Like Data would say, "intriguing." I'm quite curious!

Except it's another Matter offering, so I'm kinda jaded, so to speak.

Aw. I was going to order a bottle of the 2008 batch, because it sounded interesting... but... uh... the link doesn't seem to be there anymore.

They used to still display the item, just labeled "out of stock." I guess they don't do that anymore.

Disappointment ensues.