Sign in to follow this  
peridot

Absinthe in Alabama

Well, the day I didn't think would come has. Today I found Lucid in the ABC store next to my house. The gentleman at the counter indicated some knowledge of the subject, to my surprise, and said that if it sells they'll probably get other brands in. However, it is currently not selling. Mr.Defo had found some absinthe in a package store in town previously, but to me the real sign of changing times is finding it in the state store.

Against my better judgement I picked up a bottle. Mostly because of the coolness factor of buying absinthe in a store within walking distance of my house. Which in retrospect isn't cool at all but extremely lame. However, it is the least amount of money I've ever spent on absinthe and it's a good bit different (meaning a little bit better) than previous times I've had it, none of which were recently. I might even post a new review.

It's a start Peridot. The liquor stores I kept bugging about getting absinthe finally did and I bought bottles from each, just to show them I was serious. That should carry a little weight with the store.

Cheers!

It's more of a choice than I get here in East Bumfuck, Peridot.

I haven't even seen the (dis)likes of Absente in this cultural void.

Well, I could say that I picked it up to help sales, but I didn't actually think about that until reading Bill's post. :)

As I have lamented many times, our booze system here is really screwed, making the fact that we got Lucid shocking enough to begin with. The idea of getting anything else is just too much to hope for.

Patience my friend!

Absinthe has it's foot in the door. Now, it's more important than ever to share quality information with the masses. One at a time or preach to the room. Education is key!

Cheers!

As I've recently discovered, Lucid can make some crucial improvements if left to age for just a couple weeks. I know this brand is not new to you though Peri, so I'll leave you to it. But I know the feeling, I still order glasses of Lucid in bars that I have encouraged to stock absinthe, even though I may rather go home and have a glass of something better. Call it martyrism or what have you, but at least I get a buzz while hanging on the cross.

Well, the problem in this state is that you can either buy at the state stores or buy at package stores for markups between 30% and 200%, depending on the item. Lucid and possibly another brand or two are available at package stores already for prices similar to shipping from overseas during the times when the dollar was weakest. But the state stores suck because in each one, if the first case doesn't sell fast enough, they won't get more and they usually won't get other brands if it's a new type of spirit or cordial. And there usually aren't any second chances. I go through this all the time with them with gins and whiskies.

The problem with this state is you can either buy at state stores, or you can buy at state stores.

At least you have a choice, marginal though it may be.

One of the few aspects of living in New York that I miss is the ability to purchase beer from a distributor, or liquor from a private, independently owned operation.

After just a few days of breathing this bottle of Lucid is very different and actually substantially better than the last several times I've had it. The caramel flavour that I found overwhelming and irritating is all but gone, the overall character is fresh instead of murky, and the anise is more prominent. It's still not very complex at all but it's pretty tasty. Tastes much like a higher ABV F. Guy now.

I asked at the Fultondale ABC store if they were going to carry any absinthe. They told me (and I was surprised the lady knew at all but it turned out she was quite well informed) that their Bessemer store was carrying Lucid. I hope this is a good sign because that means they would have the opportunity to carry the Jade N.O. soon. She went on to tell me they decide in Montgomery which stores carry what.

On another note all this thinking made me look at the ABC website. Kübler, Absente, St George and La Tourment are on their wholesale price list which I assume means they are available to individual stores. I guess we can wait and hope they will carry something better than this list. Other than that we are still ordering from overseas or out of state.

Shoot, you live real close, don't you? Maybe we're starting to have enough Alabama people on here to have a party.

Now we need to get enough people telling ABC what it is we really want to drink. I was going to ride down to Bessemer yesterday on the pretense of visiting my friends at the Chevy store there but didn't make the time.

I actually live in Hayden which is in a dry county. The Fultondale store is my closest ABC store. Package stores on the Jefferson county line are pretty high. My son however works downtown and is going to slip over there and support the cause.

Maybe we're starting to have enough Alabama people on here to have a party.

I don't live in-state, but I know it's an easy drive. About 2.5 hours. My brother lives in Gardendale.

Allright I have done my part. I bought a bottle of Lucid yesterday at the ABC store. I told them they needed to carry more brands and to make it available at a different store as well. They gave me a suggestion card to fill out and send to Montgomery! Better than nothing I guess. Make sure you bama boys and girls send in suggestions.

The downside to this story came at checkout. There were only two bottles left on the shelf so I asked if sales were good. They explained that was left from the first case and they had several. The whole time the gentlemen in front of me buying his pint of Old Rotgut was loudly commenting "$63....for a fifth?? What kind of whiskey is that? I never heard of paying that much. The president don't pay that much for whiskey" Couldn't help but laugh.

Peridot,

We may have a slightly wider array on the store shelves here in Atlanta, but as you mentioned there is a complication: while the likes of Lucid, Kübler (and at one store at least, St. George), the shelves are full of lesser offerings like Mata Hari, Le Tourment, Grande Absente, Absente, and Pernod (yes, that one). I talked to a customer service rep at one of the "Total Wine and Spirits" stores about getting Marteau (they carry House Spirits' Aviation gin). Sadly, I was informed they already carried "a lot of absinthe" and would not be bringing more in any time soon. I recoiled in horror when she said that "great tasting" absinthe like "Le Tourment" should satisfy their customers anyway. If I had not been in such a hurry, I would have encouraged an alternative consideration of the available brands (but that will have to wait on another trip).

On an encouraging note, they did have the Holiday package of Lucid with two etched glasses and a spoon at the same price as the bare bottle (~$55).

I made a rediculous offer to one store manager. I told him I'd buy all his good absinthe if he'd get the crappy ones off the shelf. I'll check on him again today. I don't need that much absinthe but the crappy ones,JMO, are offensive to me. The least he could do was put it on the same shelf as the wild Irish Rose.

There was a hint of sarcasm in there somewhere. *wink*

Good luck Auguru and good to see you again!

Cheers!

The least he could do was put it on the same shelf as the wild Irish Rose

That's definitely not the sarcastic part! :devil:

You need to start the OK chapter of the WS and have monthly/quarterly tastings at the store. Auguru can start the GA chapter. You can do comparative tastings. Not being associated with a particular vendor or distributor you can be more objective. I'm sure you'd get lots of attention and interest.