Derrick

Absinthe Spoons

The absinthe spoon is definitely my favorite piece of absinthe paraphernalia. I have collected dozens but only use a few. Some just seen more functional than others. One of the very best places to acquire new reproduction spoons is at Frenchman, LTD.

My favorite spoon so far is a silver Cuillère/Spoon #6 “Les semi Etoiles et Trefles" (star and clover holes). It balances as well on the glass as it does in the hand. Its unique shape allows it to stir freely in a Pontarlier glass while reaching any remaining sugar sediment in the reservoir bottom.

I would like to hear about your favorite spoon(s).

post-142-1124833906_thumb.jpg

Any of Kirk's spoons rock, and are more aesthetically appealing than 99% of the pre-ban spoons out there.

Well, maybe not his elephant spoon, but that's only because I find it personally repugnicant.

I'm not sure if you were aware of this Derrick, but almost all of the spoons on the market are produced by Phil the Frenchman; the exceptions being those that are marketed with a particular brand of absinthe. François Guy, Serpis, La Fée and a few others have their own spoons, but 98% of the ones you find come originally from Phil.

There's a thread here somewhere about spoons and functionality. Les Fleches rocks.

I think the spoons are really interesting, some are beautiful.

But I don't like sugar in my Absinthe.

I have a few for guests, that I've never used myself.

I have a couple Frenchman spoons (#2 and #13) and I like them a lot but I don't use them much, and haven't polished them in ages so they look like they were used for rectal exams now...

It's a dessert topping!!

It's a floor wax!!

It's a dessert topping!!

It's a floor wax!!

Heeeeey, hold on you two! New Shimmer is a dessert topping aaaand a floor wax!

Mmmm yummy!

... and just look at that shine!

I'm in the no sugar camp, myself. Like Jack, I agree it adds texture, but I don't like the extra sweetness (it is more than sweet enough already for me). I'm still looking for an alternative to sugar for adding texture. I do miss the extra drop in temperature as the sugar dissolves (it's endothermic, after all).

As for the spoons, I find them appealing, but since I don't use them, they rarely stray from the liquor cabinet. It would look silly to assemble the fountain, spoon and glass only to stream the water through a sugarless spoon! But then again, it wouldn't be as ridiculous as the flaming ritual.

I figure any flaming ritual fanatic is tempting spontaneous human combustion...

I'm also a no sugar kind of guy. If I had to endure some of the wretched poorer quality absinthes at the bottom of the list I might want to take sugar along though. All the higher quality absinthes that I've had so far are perfectly palatable at one to three parts water. I like the spoons for their artistic beauty, they're quite beautiful.