Leichenwagen

Clue me in to what I'm tasting

Well, thank you Hiram, but I am still at a loss as to what an "oil trail" is then, you did a good job of contradicting me, and I have no doubt that you are right and correct, however, I would appreciate any actual education anyone here could offer me. I guess this is a big nOOb question? Sorry for pestering...

As to my remark about sipping absinthe neat, such as low-quality oil mixes, I fear that some of you may have gotten the idea of me gulping down large shots, perhaps setting it on fire and the rest? Uh-huh.

I won't lie; once in a while I drink absinthe purposefully to get extremely "hammered", and I see nothing wrong with this, and I see nothing wrong with taking an occaisional sip of absinthe, especially oil mixes. I'm not out to prove anything, but sometimes I appreciate a strong sip, and I have read other threads on this forum and others that relate the same appreciation.

Please, correct me when I am wrong, I appreciate the education in this regard, but don't tell me how to drink my liquor.

We aren't telling you how to drink your liquor. But we'll tell you if you're not using a product the way it was supposed to be used. Absinthe or otherwise.

As for the 'oil trails', it's a term that was basically invented to describe what you see when the water mixes with the absinthe. It's not really oil. You get the same effect if you drip some cold water into scotch. Liquids of two different densities (due to temperature variation) will give you the same effect.

If you've ever gone scuba diving or snorkeling in extremely clear water, you see the same thing when you hit a pocket of warmer water.

The answer is here. Not oil trials. That is a misnomer.

Oh sure, we all like the buzz of a couple of good cocktails or glasses of absinthe but we also try to maintain an atmosphere of responsibility, too. We don't want to appear to be a bunch of sloppy drunks but rather, more refined enthusiasts.

(edit: Shabba sucks for beating my post)

Thank you everyone. I spoke too soon, and in ignorance, I apologize.

Ain't no thing. We're all here to learn. :cheers:

Edit: Shabba sucks for sticking his tongue out at me.

One thing I have noticed with louche is that it doesn't seem to change appearance even as the drink approaches room temperature. Considering that the louche is created with ice cold water, I wonder why ...??? :g:

The chemicals that cause the louche are already out of suspension by that point.

Similar (but in kind of an opposite way) to when you create a sugar solution. In order to dissolve the amount of sugar you need, you must heat the water. But once the sugar is in suspension and the water cools down, it doesn't fall back out.

I've never seen an oil mix louche rise up from the bottom, with turbulence, or clarity, nor that ring of clear absinthe that slowly disappears.

Here ya go. From some Serpis I louched up tonight.

DSC00419.JPG

The chemicals that cause the louche are already out of suspension by that point.

Similar (but in kind of an opposite way) to when you create a sugar solution. In order to dissolve the amount of sugar you need, you must heat the water. But once the sugar is in suspension and the water cools down, it doesn't fall back out.

I searched, to no avail, for pictures of a high magnification image of louche. Anyone know where I could see some?

Geez, there have been such killer pictures from Elf and Wild Bill. Check out the "Show off your gear" thread and then repost them here. I've been drinking and have another project on another window.

I searched, to no avail, for pictures of a high magnification image of louche. Anyone know where I could see some?

I think a lot of them might have been archived, but here are a few.

DSC003121.JPG

DSC003151.JPG

Mesmerizing little bastards. Gawd I love 'em. That is one of my favorite things about preparing a drink.

A slow drip with cold water works very well.

Thank you Shabba.

:cheers:

One thing I have noticed with louche is that it doesn't seem to change appearance even as the drink approaches room temperature. Considering that the louche is created with ice cold water, I wonder why ...??? :g:

Shabba gave a good answer, but I thought I'd mention that I've had glasses un-louche when left out overnight.

Alfred Jarry is the only person who can be credited for enjoying (is that the right word in that context?) his absinthe neat. In the years 1780-1800 absinthe was diluted with white wine, then water came instead. Sugar was the latest addition.

Edit: I, personally, have a small sip of any absinthe (and any other spirit for that matter) neat before I louche it; I want to know what to expect from it neat, how it will change once properly louched.

I, personally, have a small sip of any absinthe (and any other spirit for that matter) neat before I louche it; I want to know what to expect from it neat, how it will change once properly louched.

So do I on every new absinthe I try. :cheers:

Well, its another day and another go at the François Guy. I'm liking it much more tonight than yesterday. I can taste the anise much more clearly than last night. It's peculiar and it led me to wonder if absinthe needs to breathe as a bottle of wine does because even the smell from the bottle seemed different.

Alfred Jarry is the only person who can be credited for enjoying (is that the right word in that context?) his absinthe neat.

Yeah, butt I'll bet it tasted like merdRe.

Well, its another day and another go at the François Guy. I'm liking it much more tonight than yesterday. I can taste the anise much more clearly than last night. It's peculiar and it led me to wonder if absinthe needs to breathe as a bottle of wine does because even the smell from the bottle seemed different.

Absolutely. You'll notice subtle changes through out the bottle's life. Almost always for the better.

I've had glasses un-louche when left out overnight.

I know this will sound ignorant of me but, how could you leave a glass of louched absinthe unattended for so long? :huh: Mine stay filled for barely an hour. :3872-DrunkBanana: :)