102 replies to this topic

#31 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,600 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Nor could I!

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#32 eric

eric

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

I am always up for a get together w/ all of you guys.
I don’t like hanging round where the gossip is loud
But today I would die for anyone - C Stiles, "Stupid Café"

#33 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

Precious and I have been discussing a trip to see you and do a fly by to her brother's place in San Antonio.

I always look forward to visiting Austin. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#34 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:55 AM

My first get-together with friends over a bottle of MoL was a fantastic success! The Delaware Phoenix distillery product was simply amazing. During preparations, I found that Wiggy's (on 6th, west of Lamar) not only has quite a few inexpensive accessories, but also rents out fountains for $10/night. I picked up their 4-spigot fountain and everyone thoroughly enjoyed the evening.

I would like to propose we make Austin absinthe evenings a regular occurrence (maybe monthly?). We could meet at Peche, other local establishments, or at one or another person's place to enjoy a variety of experiences. Anyone else up for this?

- Steve

#35 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:03 AM

It's a good drive but the folks I know in austin make the trip worth while.

Anyone else up for this?

Yes.
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#36 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

I was actually within the edges of Austin last Saturday. Was heading to Fredericksburg and somehow got on 183 in Lampasas instead of keeping on 281. Looking back now it seems funny but i can promise you my wife was unamused :twitchsmile:
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#37 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

I think that this opportunity is long overdue, and I am itching to meet all of you guys (and get drunk doing it)! :pirate:
"The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature." -Gwydion

#38 brewmaster

brewmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

I am intrigued as well, I hope my scheduling allows me to participate. We are about to hit busy season at the music venues. But I am always up to meeting fellow absintheurs.
No excellent soul is exempt to a mixture of madness. - Aristotle

#39 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:16 PM

Well, I'm ready to get started! How about for this first meeting we join up at Peche next Saturday (January 29th) at 8pm? The location would give us all a centralized place to meet that has at least a few options for absinthe enthusiasts. We can also let the owner know who we are, that we support his efforts, and that we would lobby for additional brands as they become available. Who knows, as he gets new labels in, maybe he'll let us know so we can try them out first.

If you'll let me know whether you'll be able to make it, I'll know how many seats to reserve.

- Steve

#40 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 04:57 PM

I'm definitely in for wherever... but I would suggest that we might have better absinthe at another location -- you can't bring bottles to bars, if you get my drift.

If not one of our houses, then perhaps a BYOB restaurant such as Phara's on North Loop or Din Ho?

#41 eric

eric

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 05:08 PM

I am up for next Sat. Would prefer a private venue.
I can host.
Either way, I am looking forward to meeting some of the Austin crew. :cheers:

#42 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

I think I can move some things around and be able to make it. =)
"The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature." -Gwydion

#43 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 06:59 PM

I'm up for meeting at a different establishment this time and someone's place next time. I've never been to Phara's or Din Ho, but right now Phara's looks really interesting. Since, I'm assuming we'd have dinner there, how about we meet there at 7 on Saturday?

#44 brewmaster

brewmaster

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

Unfortunately I have an engagement that day, perhaps I will be able to make the next meet. Have one for me though.

:cheers:
No excellent soul is exempt to a mixture of madness. - Aristotle

#45 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 08:34 AM

I should be cool with Phara's at 7:00 on Saturday! I'll bring a bottle or flask or some such to share.

Plus if we get bored of Pharah's and absinthe, there is a small bar across the street that specializes in prohibition-era cocktails.

Edited by kaseijin, 24 January 2011 - 08:35 AM.

#46 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 07:07 AM

Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I might have some Walton Waters to bring to the shindig on Saturday. :cheers:

#47 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 04:50 PM

Well, crud. Turns out I won't have the WW in time for this weekend. I'll have to make it up to y'all next time we get together. I'm still looking forward to meeting everyone and having a nice meal together.

Edited by Steve Fish, 26 January 2011 - 04:52 PM.

#48 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:43 AM

I hope to make it, but it's looking worser the closer it comes. Babysitter (Grandma) is on vacation in the Virgin Islands. .. must be nice. B)

Trying to find coverage on a Saturday night is like trying to find something that's really hard to find!

#49 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:16 AM

I have the tail end of a bottle of WW that needs polishing off. I suppose I can bring that.

I'll flask up some Vieux Carre, too, and some other fare.

GF - man, you should totally try to make it! That PF is just sitting on the shelf, and it is not going to finish itself!

Edited by kaseijin, 27 January 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#50 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:21 PM

That PF is just sitting on the shelf, and it is not going to finish itself!

You're a poet.

Believe me, I'm trying.

#51 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

Sounds like it's on. Headcount please!!

The Plan:
Phara's Mediterranean Cuisine and Christophers Casbah 7:00PM

Phara's is conveniently located at 111 E. North Loop, Austin, less than one mile east of Lamar Blvd in the North Loop Business District.

Phara's Website
Posted Image

See you there, fellas. BYOBottle!!

Oh, and kaseijin, bring along those three samples. Lets get 'em, polished off.

#52 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

I have access to a bottle of Kübler, but it's the best I can muster for tonight as FedEx has decided to wait until Monday to drop off the WW. I'll be happy to bring the blanche along... it's nice enough, but it's hardly exceptional. Let me know.

One way or the other, the wife (who doesn't drink) and I will be at Phara's this evening at 7!

-Steve

Edited by Steve Fish, 29 January 2011 - 12:12 PM.

#53 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:04 PM

I'll be bringing small quantities of a few things, and I expect that the other(s) will do the same, so bring your palette. There should be plenty of variety, but don't not bring nothing. (<--- Is a triple negative bad grammar?)

I have been saving myself, haven't had any absinthe this week, so I am looking forward to the meet-up.

#54 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

I'm gonna say I"m jealous! Have a great time guys, it's sure true what the imp says, "There are some great people in Austin, seek them out, you'll be glad you did" and I'd head back in a second if I could.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#55 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Pretty sure Steve got to meet the most of them last night. We sampled some Pernod Fils 1910 (Winnetka), Un Pernod c. late 1930s, and Pernod 51 c. 1950s, as well as a few local HG's, VC, PF1901, WW, and La Maison Fontaine. Without a doubt, it was a successful session.

#56 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:00 PM

We wanted to make the trip but the kids and grandkids were here all dang day. My excuse. :)

Sounds like you had a well rounded bunch of absinthe, people and success. :thumbup:

#57 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm still glowing with the memories of all the wonderful samples, meeting so many great people, and everyone's generosity. The HGs were quite delicious and I was blown away by the opportunity to try some older samples. Thanks to everyone for sharing. I'm really looking forward to hanging out again very soon. I'd be happy to grill up some tasty chicken and veggies for everyone. I'll also do my best to find something special to share.

Here's to a wonderfully enjoyable evening for both my wife and I. :cheers:

- Steve

#58 Le Loup

Le Loup

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Sheeeeeee-iiiiite!!! Missed one again :thumbdown:

I really need to pay more attention here.

:twitchsmile:

#59 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:06 PM

Well, I am certainly ready for another get-together if y'all are.

- Steve

#60 eric

eric

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

I am always game to meet up w/ you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association