piper909

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

Here's a brand new opening in downtown Austin:

http://www.austin360...oodmatters.html

"Péché on West Fourth Street serves six kinds of absinthe, including, from left, Lucid, Mata Hari, Le Tourment Vert, Kübler and Pernod. They sell for $7 to $11, or $5 on Sundays."

I wonder where they get their supplies from, especially now that Texas has cracked down on out of state and online sales? I've only ever seen Lucid and Kübler available in local stores.
THIS LIFE IS A TEST.
IT IS ONLY A TEST.
IF THIS WERE A REAL LIFE, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHERE TO GO AND WHAT TO DO.

#2 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,969 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:30 PM

Maybe you can sweet-talk them into getting a few other 'Merican options in. There are very good beverages available from Chicagoland, Denver area and Portland.

#3 piper909

piper909

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:47 AM

Maybe you can sweet-talk them into getting a few other 'Merican options in. There are very good beverages available from Chicagoland, Denver area and Portland.

Just so. I'm going to pay them a visit with Mrs. Piper909 very soon and chat up the staff (and try the Mata Hari, which is the only new tipple to me among this group; my expectations are minimal). What specifically would you suggest I promote to them? I've yet to encounter any domestic product beyond the St. George.
I need to backtrack around these boards and catch up on what I've been missing over the past few months.
THIS LIFE IS A TEST.
IT IS ONLY A TEST.
IF THIS WERE A REAL LIFE, YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN GIVEN INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHERE TO GO AND WHAT TO DO.

#4 cargoplex

cargoplex

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

I had the pleasure of stopping into Péché on a recent trip to Austin, and I must say it is a lovely place. Feels like a traditional absinthe bar but with a modern touch. Fountains are stationed all along the bar, and absinthe bottles line the shelves behind the bar. I finally got a chance to try St. George, and was pleasantly surprised. I think I will definitely be picking up a bottle sometime in the near future. Also tried Pernod for the first time, and I think it will be my last ;)

All in all it was a nice experience and I highly recommend swinging by there if you find yourself in the neighborhood.

BTW, I realize that this post is quite old, but I did find out that they get all their absinthe goods from a wholesaler in Dallas called Bonnecaze & Cie.

Edited by cargoplex, 15 August 2009 - 02:26 PM.

#5 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for the info, i was in Austin several weeks ago. I'll check it out next time.
I wonder if i can order from Bonnecaze without a tax ID.
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#6 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:49 AM

I was less than impressed with Péché. Or rather: it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good.

They got some things right: The fountains (from Frenchman) are nice, the interior decor is very atmospheric and cozy, and the food was basically pretty good (though my croque was fairly non-traditional).

Their absinthe offerings were not stellar, but it's not really their fault. That's just what's available commercially in Texas.

Things that irritated me:
  • Paying 11 bones for a glass of Lucid
  • Lack of self-service. If you can't provide me with a spoon and carafe, then maybe a brouillier?
  • It threw them well off script when I asked for my drink without sugar
  • It's on 4th, so it's right in the nouveau-riche yuppie district.
  • The bartenders need to be better educated and better prepared to field people's questions. Pernod is not the current best on the market, and it is not the sugar cube that causes the louche.

#7 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:42 PM

I was going to ask you if you have been there. Thanks for the review. I think my wife and i can skip it.
"I don't think I should say sorry for things i do in dreams, some people live like they're falling, some people die in their sleep" -Wolf Parade

Balcones Distilling

#8 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:52 AM

Anybody try Annie's on Congress yet? The menu says they serve absinthe, along with several cocktails that contain absinthe including the Sazerac. I'll be there in May, just looking for options.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#9 Gruene Fee

Gruene Fee

• PipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:34 AM

Haven't been, but on a side-note: speedle, you gonna try to make it to the 5/8 Louchefest?
"The collective strength of our Bullshit Detectors is practically a force of nature." -Gwydion

#10 eric

eric

• PipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:24 AM

Speedle, If you are going to be in Austin, perhaps we could all meet up for a drink?
I don’t like hanging round where the gossip is loud
But today I would die for anyone - C Stiles, "Stupid Café"

#11 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

I believe that would be totally awesome Eric. I'll PM you with the details. And Gruene Fee, sorry no, I'm stuck here that week.
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#12 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:47 PM

Never been to Annie's. Food looks amazing, though.

#13 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

Well, it's that, or Péché, and I guess I'll just have to peek my head inside and see. Good you've been there though, that'll at least give me some idea of what to avoid. I've not read all that much good about Annie's though, at least from what I can glean via Yelp. For what THAT'S worth.
- cogito ergo louche

#14 Horn Brain

Horn Brain

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

I love this place. Beyond the absinthe, they're really good with cocktails. Make them make you something that's not on the menu, though. Some of the bartenders are uber-smart. If you get the owner/manager/whatever Rob to like you, (he's an absinthe lover and likes to chat with any others) he sometimes has bottles that aren't on the menu for us snobs. That's how I tried my first glass of Mansinthe (pretty good, I'd say).

#15 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:23 PM

Which place?
- cogito ergo louche

#16 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

Snobs? :g:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#17 Attack Accountant

Attack Accountant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

I'm a snob. I like being a snob. Oh, yes. :thumbup:
I think I'm funny but no one else does.

#18 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:50 AM

For what it's worth --

I went back to Peche a few weeks back. The absinthe was still what it was. Nothing to write home about there... But their other classic cocktails were pretty great, and some of their bartenders are quite good at the mixing.

I would not be opposed to going there and just avoiding the absinthe.

I would also not be opposed to just some cold beer at either Ginger Man or Opal Divine's.

Edited by kaseijin, 30 April 2010 - 07:50 AM.

#19 CurtisG

CurtisG

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

I have heard good things about Uncle Billys Brew and Que.

Balcones Distilling

#20 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

I'm a snob. I like being a snob. Oh, yes. :thumbup:

Snobbery has its advantages. Of course, that's easy for us absinthe types to say.
- cogito ergo louche

#21 Horn Brain

Horn Brain

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:47 PM

Which place?

Sorry, I meant Peche. I am used to assuming if you don't quote another post you are referring to the original thread starter.

As far as Peche's absinthe, they have St. George, which is good enough for me. They know better absinthes exist, they just aren't legal to sell in Texas. As I said, they let me sample a bottle of Mansinthe the owner had ordered. They also told me that they will be first in line when Jade's offerings become available here. Just cross your fingers and enjoy their cocktails 'til then.

And I meant snobs tongue in cheek.

#22 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 10:08 AM

Thanks for the clarification, I look forward to going there next week. And snobs, well, either way, it's all good. :)
- cogito ergo louche

#23 kaseijin

kaseijin

• PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:59 AM

I am fine with going to Peche. I'll have a couple of fig manhattans.

They still get under my skin on the absinthe, though. "Louché" just seems strange to me... like I should be pronouncing it loo-SHAY. Pedantic, I know... but I did cringe when I heard them explaining that the sugar was what caused the absinthe to cloud up.

Oh my. I guess I AM a snob! :pirate:

But yeah, like I noted above -- setting aside the absinthe, the some of the bartenders *can* make a mighty fine cocktail.

#24 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

And so you did, at least one anyway. It was great to meet you, and Eric! And, in keeping with the point of this thread, my commentary on Peche would be as follows. The only real downside to the place is the prices are a bit high even for really top shelf cocktails (I paid less at the Violet Hour in Chicago and at PDT in NYC). Otherwise, the cocktails appear to be made of the right stuff, by people to know what they're doing, and served with courtesy and friendliness, y'all.

The place actually has a great atmosphere, appeared to be buzzing even on a Monday night, and while it's clear they serve every CO available in Texas, you'll want to stick to the cocktails unless you really like St. George or Lucid, because those are the only two worth even trying. Sad state of affairs, that.
- cogito ergo louche

#25 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

I stopped by Peche last night. Nice atmosphere. Slightly pretentious menu. High prices (although not much more than is typical in that area).

After I spent a few moments looking at the absinthe section of the menu, my waiter and the owner dropped by to answer questions. Pernod and St George were recommended. Descriptions of both were provided for an audience that simply didn't include me (a little too extravagant and unhelpful, IMO). I went with the St George and was (as someone else above mentioned) pleasantly surprised. I wish they had mixed it at the table so I could watch the louche, but maybe I'm just quibbling. The experience was nice enough, but $12 for a glass of St George, however, left a slightly bitter taste in my mouth.

I had a nice discussion a little later with the owner about drinks and what brand he prefers. He mentioned that many of his favorites were not available here in Texas and referred specifically to the variants made by the Jade distilleries. I wanted to ask why he didn't stock (or even mention) some of the fine domestically-distilled absinthes. I assume those would have entered conversation had we spent more time talking.

Overall, I'd say it's not a bad place to hang out for a few hours. Yeah, the prices are high, but the setting is nice and the staff is helpful. You can obtain less expensive, better quality drinks at home, but then that's not unique to absinthe nor Peche. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say my experience at Peche last night was a solid 7.

#26 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

He can only offer what is distributed in the state.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#27 Ron

Ron

Blind Eye McGee

• Content Team
  • 4,128 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:23 PM

Indeed. And the selection across the northern state line is just as abysmal.
Every hour is green hour. -Hedonmonkey

Sometimes bad just gets so bad that it breaks thru to the other side and becomes good. - Phoenix

#28 Steve Fish

Steve Fish

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

He can only offer what is distributed in the state.

Which is exactly why I gave them the benefit of the doubt on selection.

#29 thegreenimp

thegreenimp

Obsessed Herbsaint Collector

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

Unfortunately that is the way of the distribution system in our state, and why a lot online sites can't ship to TX.

There are some great people in Austin, seek them out, you'll be glad you did.
At the close of the day drink an Herbsaint Frappé,...Legendre Herbsaint, always served when absinthe is called for.
The History of Legendre Herbsaint

#30 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,176 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

There are some great people in Austin, seek them out, you'll be glad you did.

I couldn't agree more. :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association