piper909

DrinkUpNY not shipping to Texas anymore??!

WTF???

I received an email newsletter from my regular supplier, DrinkUpNY.com, and while announcing two new absinthes (Duplais Swiss Verte and Pernoud Vieux Pontarlier), they also added this note at the bottom of the announcement:

New Texas Shipping Restrictions

Effective immediately, neither DrinkUpNY nor DrinkUpForLess will be able to ship to Texas due to recent state legislation. Please contact info@drinkupny.com if you have any questions.

Huh!?? Wha--?? Does anyone else here in Texas know what's going on? This is shocking and upsetting in the extreme, as you might guess. I've ordered almost exclusively from Drinkupny.com for the past year.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternate US supplier who WILL ship to Texas (why are we being singled out and what has our swine legislature -- which is not even in session at the moment -- done to us NOW?)

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Leave Texas, well, yeah, I'd be happy to (even Austin isn't all it once was, although it's still the only place worth living in this state). But it doesn't look to be in the cards just yet, unless I can find employment. Who has a job out there for a bright, collegial male with lots of practical work experience and who can play the bagpipes?

I've been rooting around and found some other information since this morning's stunner -- aaarrrgghhhh!!! Just when you think all is going well with the green fairy world, Prohibition returns in new clothes. Once again, this state lives down to its culture of puritanism, ignorance, and greed (in roughly equal measures).

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

This hit me like a kick in the crotch. While i was stocking up on guns and ammo, they snuck up and took my Absinthe.

Yes i am bitter, clinging to my Absinthe. Another area where a government entity is restricting my liberties.

I posted this on the City Guides, too:

With absinthe ban lifted, Péché debuts

New bar and eatery on Fourth Street

http://www.austin360.com/food_drink/conten...oodmatters.html

"Péché on West Fourth Street serves six kinds of absinthe, including, from left, Lucid, Mata Hari, Le Tourment Vert, Kübler and Pernod. They sell for $7 to $11, or $5 on Sundays."

There are some reviews on Yelp.com, too.

Edited by piper909

While I don't know this for fact, my speculation is that someone within the TABC or some other similarly evil Texas governmental organization realized they were losing out on Tax revenue due to online liquor sales and is causing us these problems. I also believe that the TABC is why we can only get such a limited selection to purchase locally. But again pure speculation. If I didn't live in Austin, an exodus would be quite appealing.

While I don't know this for fact, my speculation is that someone within the TABC or some other similarly evil Texas governmental organization realized they were losing out on Tax revenue due to online liquor sales and is causing us these problems. I also believe that the TABC is why we can only get such a limited selection to purchase locally. But again pure speculation. If I didn't live in Austin, an exodus would be quite appealing.

Update today:

I received this email from the DrinkUpNY.com folks:

Subject: Shipping to Texas etc

To: kamal@drinkupny.com

Dear Customer:

We were contacted by Texas SLA asking us not ship there any more. This is

applicable with all types of Alcohol. Basically Texas is implementing a

"Direct Shippers Permit" to out of state retailers. However, in order to

obtain that, we need to buy from a Texas Wholesaler.

Our NY license will not allow us to buy from out of state and many of our

products are not available in Texas for us to buy in the first place.

I do apologize for the problem but it is beyond our control. However, we

still live is America. Feel free to contact your congressman about it.

Warm Personal Regards,

Kamal Mukherjee

Founder

I'll gladly send out some protest letters but am still not sure who to direct them to -- what is the "Texas SLA"? I guess a few messages to the local state legislative reps is as good a place as any to begin. Another losing battle looms with unsympathetic state bureaucrats, what fun!

Find out who your state representatives are for your district (based on where you live). Chances are you can send email to them via the Texas Legislature web site.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/

This isn't about political parties, or which is better. 90% of these liquor laws were passed back in 1933 and 1934 and haven't changed. And anytime something new comes along, like microbreweries, or micro-distilleries, or internet sales of wine and spirits, the immediate reaction is to stop it.

They think they'll lose tax revenue. They have this fixed monolithic three-tier system that they're desperate to preserve. It's been this way since 1933 and unless you complain, it'll stay that way.

Complain loud, complain often.

However, we still live is America.

I'm sure they meant to say "Where we still live is America", referring to the Republic of Texas not considering itself part of the US.

What is the "Texas SLA"?

This is the local cell of the Symbionese Liberation Army, that famously kidnapped heiress Patty Hearst back in the mid-seventies.

SLA_GroupShot(400).jpg

I am happy at least to discover that The Jug Shop (San Francisco) is still accepting orders to Texas (cross my fingers this doesn't change immediately) and they carry both Duplais Verte (a known quantity) and now the new Pernoud Vieux Pontarlier that I am so eager to try.

This hit me like a kick in the crotch. While i was stocking up on guns and ammo, they snuck up and took my Absinthe.

That's what you get for not having your priorities sorted out.

-- T

You poor Texans. Believe me, I feel your pain... I live in Canada.

Plenty of booze out there to go around, I keep a well stocked cabinet.

I hate to bring up such an old tread, but I too was getting my absinthe from DUNY when I found out all the BS going on. Only I was going through some rather difficult things at the time, so I've been catching my self up on the situation. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a liquor or spirits shop anywhere in or around the San Antonio, Austin, Temple, or Victora areas? after the last few months I've had I could use a bottle or 2.

There are a number of folks on this forum that live in that area and I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction. Good luck!

Cheers!

I hate to bring up such an old tread, but I too was getting my absinthe from DUNY when I found out all the BS going on. Only I was going through some rather difficult things at the time, so I've been catching my self up on the situation. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of a liquor or spirits shop anywhere in or around the San Antonio, Austin, Temple, or Victora areas? after the last few months I've had I could use a bottle or 2.

We got a couple of shops here! ;)

Sorry, I know that doesn't help much, but I did see Kübler at Walgreens for $45.99 the other day. I think I heard Rod Sterling talking in the background too...

Walgreens really? wow nope not here, I guess if worst comes to worst I'll just call all the local stores around and see what they have. I guess I really should stop being lazy and do some leg work Luscious Oily Lesbians!. Thanks for the luck Bill, surely I'll find some somewhere.

Edited by Stormy