Ken Hallenius

Lucid Holiday Packs available

Back when I was in college, I had a set of (free) coke glasses which I used to drink wine from. I had only slightly seriously convinced myself that these were good glasses for this usage. the compacted lower portion would keep the wine from breathing too much, while the large bowl at the top would both concentrate the aromas which were being released, as well as to an "a la minute" breathing of the wine in the final second before taking a sip. Of course this was all just as way to save the money it would take to by a "real" set of wine glasses.

Wonder if I should try to dig these glasses out of storage and see how they work with absinthe? :cheers:

Cokefountainglasses.jpg

Nice. I havent thught of those things for some time. Anybody remember the upside down version, for 7up? You know, the Uncola. When I was a kid I found one in our front yard, brought it in, cleaned it up and drank out of it almost exclusively 'til it broke. :laugh:

Nice. I havent thught of those things for some time. Anybody remember the upside down version, for 7up? You know, the Uncola. When I was a kid I found one in our front yard, brought it in, cleaned it up and drank out of it almost exclusively 'til it broke. :laugh:

Back when I was in college, I had a set of (free) coke glasses which I used to drink wine from. I had only slightly seriously convinced myself that these were good glasses for this usage. the compacted lower portion would keep the wine from breathing too much, while the large bowl at the top would both concentrate the aromas which were being released, as well as to an "a la minute" breathing of the wine in the final second before taking a sip. Of course this was all just as way to save the money it would take to by a "real" set of wine glasses.

Wonder if I should try to dig these glasses out of storage and see how they work with absinthe? :cheers:

You mean like this?

Herbsaint1956bottleandglass.jpg

Having used a couple of these glasses as intended, I find that they are one of the best designed absinthe glasses that have been made.

You mean like this?

Herbsaint1956bottleandglass.jpg

Having used a couple of these glasses as intended, I find that they are one of the best designed absinthe glasses that have been made.

You mean, you actually drink absinthe, on occasion? :shock: :tongue:

can you peel or scrape off the lettering? I'd like the glassware but if I couldn't get rid of the lettering that would be like drinking Guinness out of a Bud Lite glass.

I was hoping they'd have the cat eyes too. :thumbdown:

I shudder everytime Impy posts, cuz there's gonna be a picture that makes me cry.

First time out of the box in over fifty plus years:

boxeddripglass.jpg

unwrapped72dpicopy.jpg

You mean, you actually drink absinthe, on occasion?

Once in awhile I force myself to drink a glass or two.

So much for the "Lucid Gift Pack" conversation. Guess we adequately derailed that.

I was being :dry: when I mentioned Reidel saving us all. Not that they're bad, just some times overdone and too specific. To this day, my favorite tasting glass for wine is a fairly basic modest sized Reidel glass from one of their basic collections. Works well with all kinds of wine, and provides each with an even canvass upon which to make their impression. Sometimes those big schmancy glasses just swallow up the wine unless you pour yourself a quarter bottle or so.

I've always been a fan of their glasses. Got some great ones for scotch tasting. I hear Larspeart made out like a bandit at the TotC 2007 with their samples. Wish I would've attended that seminar...

So much for the "Lucid Gift Pack" conversation. Guess we adequately derailed that.

Yeah. That happens around here. I don't mind the tangents too much unless it's someone's Introductory thread.

I like some of their wine glasses, and their Scotch glasses and their Cognac Hennessy glasses, too. It's just when you start telling me I need a different glass to drink a merlot and a zinfandel, well... :huh: !

Yeah. That happens around here. I don't mind the tangents too much unless it's someone's Introductory thread.

Aww heck, that was the whole point of mine...

I think the gift packs are definitely a good idea from a marketing standpoint at this stage. I like that spoon, and that Pontalier glass is both practical and absinthy-looking. However, I find Lucid to be just ok, and I'm not too keen on having that logo etching.

I do have a couple LDF glasses tho...and those Jade glasses are beautiful (but too expensive for me to get and still have enough absinthe budget left for absinthe).

The resevoirs of all of these have different measures.

The cut pontalier is 1 1/2 oz

The Lucid uncut pontalier is 1 oz

The Torsade is 2 oz

And wost of the bunch is the molded pontalier, where the resevoir is less than 1/2 oz, but there is a secondary "marking" that can be used to measure 1 oz.

All of this means that the "quality" (or at least the consistency) of your drink could well be depended on what glass you are using (unless you are using a jigger).

Thoughts? Should this be a separate thread?

Ooh- excellent point!

I've got the cut Pontalier, molded Pontalier, Cordon, and Périgord style glasses. And I've spent a fair amount of time measuring out what 1 and 1.5 oz. doses (and a 3:1 ratio for each) looks like with a small measuring cup (I do need to get myself a jigger) and some water.

In the case of some of the glasses, I've actually used a razor to mark a small notch in the glass if no other features can serve as a reference.

I can pretty much eyeball it with my glassware now, but I'd certainly think consistency might be an issue for anyone who owns a variety of glasses and has not done some measuring- or at least calibrated by experience via eye and tastebud.

I've been through this dilema as well. I find that certain diltutions for certain absinthes suit the drink and bring out better aromas and flavours. For example, when I'm drinking Clandestine, there is a certain dilution, a rather large ratio of water, that I absolutely love to sip on; with cold spring water and a slow drip, this extra-diluted recipe is rich and floral, with a perennial alpine clarity that escapes any attempt at description. With vertes I usually stop dripping the water just when the louche has stopped, when that ring of clear green just disappears. Like you Green Baron, I eyeball it, but this has proved inefficient and not always reproducible. I near shame when I think of getting out my medicinal syringe to measure exact ounces, but I can think of no other way that does not involve splashing absinthe all over my desk.

Beaker, baby. Got a 50 ml and a 30 ml.

My glasses I assume are water glasses, closest thing I have seen to a Torsade for 98 cents at Value Village.

I mark only one of my glasses for official tastingness, using a Sharpie. I keep it in the back when drinkin' all regular like, and the sharpie washes off pretty easy if you need to serve guests.

Beaker, baby. Got a 50 ml and a 30 ml.

I have a variety myself. Precious just smiles when she see me sampling.

Sharpies are half of my labeling supplies. :cheers: