dakini_painter

Bánh Mì

Nice thing about being up here is that I can have that anytime I want as there is a village that has it less than 4 miles away. DELICIOUS!

These are great, I get them all the time down here. Here's my recipe for homemade:

Take some julienned carrot and cucumber sticks (and daikon if you can find it) and place them in a bowl with a small piece of ginger, some rice vinegar, and some water. These can soak for up to a week or so in the fridge.

Take some thin-cut porkchops and, using a rolling pin or meat mallet, pound them to about 1/8" thickness, then cut them lengthwise in half and score the edges to prevent them from curling when cooked. Place your pork into a large bowl.

Place a cup or so of sugar, dry, into a saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar melts and a light brown caramel is formed.

To the caramel add one chopped shallot, the juice from one lime, and a tablespoon of fish sauce (available in Asian markets, or the Asian section of most supermarkets). The caramel will harden into a block at this point -- keep it on the heat and stir constantly until the sugar dissolves again. Then pour this mixture over your meat, and mix it all up to coat well.

Grill it up, and serve it on a baguette with mayonnaise, your pickled vegetables, fresh slices of jalapeno, and a generous squirting of sriracha hot sauce.

There's a place in Seattle (which is already flooded with authentic Vietnamese Pho and Banh Mi) that does an upscale version:

Crispy Pork Belly Banh Mi Sliders

foie gras mayo

pickled carrot and daikon

cucumbers

cilantro

serrano chili

on a brioche style slider bun

RIDICULOUSly tasty.

I hope to be back in Seattle in a month or so. What is the name of this place?

MPC, this is slightly off-topic (and cuisine), but if you're going to be in Seattle, you should try Thai Ginger. It's on the top floor of Pacific Place, downtown. And the AMC theater is on the top floor right next to it. Treat yourself do a movie and a meal.

Thanks for the scoop! I will keep that place in mind. :)

I hope to be back in Seattle in a month or so. What is the name of this place?

Fresh Bistro in West Seattle. Their happy hour bento is a collection of small plates, and just an astounding collection at that.

I'm a bit of a foodie, so if you want to IM me for other recommendations, feel free.