Leichenwagen

Absinthe fountain ~ any idea what its worth?

post-2253-1225728305.jpg

I noticed that set went for a bit over $1400 on ebay, a few weeks ago, and I thought that wasn't exorbitant.

Were you the winner, perchance?

One of our favorite pubs has an infusion jar that's similar although clear glass. It currently hold vodka and Granny Smith Apples. Pretty tasty, actually.

I'm not the person to answer that. Uranium Glass was popular from the mid-nineteenth century well into the 1930s, at least. It fetches a hefty price at the antique stores and that certainly appears to be very interesting. Beyond that, I'm at a loss. And rest assured, my information could be totally wrong in which case, I apologize. Antiques are not my forte'.

Now, if you want to be bored to tears about theatre lighting design, I'm your man. ;)

I nobody's expert but I'd guess it is an infusion jar for tea, lemonade, etc...

Seems like small glasses for either tea or lemonade. The fellow said that he was told it was made before the turn of the century. You'd figure whatever concoction it was used for must have been potent with glasses that size. Was absinthe ever imbibed in small glasses?

No, absinthe is a long drink, meant to be drunk at relatively mild strength.

From the shape, I'm pretty sure it's a samovar. Turkish tea is drunk in small glasses just like those.

Speaking of things being mistaken for absinthe fountains, it was only a matter of time before things turned around.

I think you're right on the mark with that deduction. look at thispost-2253-1225774811_thumb.jpg

Art Deco Depression Vaseline Glass Samovar. c.1926. Paden City Glass Co. Very Rare. Beautiful green vaseline glass glows under "black light". Complete metal stand (nothing missing). Marked: "Patented U.S. 7/20/26 - Silver Plate". (Plate rubbed down to metal in some areas.) H. appx. 16". This is a museum piece. Not many have survived. Very small flake to back, left shoulder. Price 850$

I went to their site and the way I understood it was, you had to have a business and/or tax I.D. information. I don't have a business. <sigh>

"No, absinthe is a long drink, meant to be drunk at relatively mild strength."

Except for the occasional mominette, which I suppose must have been more of a "ladylike" affectation.

No, absinthe is a long drink, meant to be drunk at relatively mild strength.

There is a precedent for depression glasses. One could fix a glass at the proper ratio

they could be used like those little pastis glasses.

CoupleEnjoyingHerbsaint.jpg

Herbsaintjingle.jpg

Except for the occasional mominette, which I suppose must have been more of a "ladylike" affectation.

Two Ladies, doing ladies things, drinking ladies drinks.......with a lager chaser.

post-1978-1225818620_thumb.jpg

A little Depression Glass fun:

http://www.ndga.net/rainbow/1981/81rrg03a.php

Where have I seen something like this before?

absinthe0381.jpg

Perhaps this?

vintageglass.jpg

The best part:

If you are collecting glasses and this account inspires you to take another look around your basement or attic, keep one thing in mind ... if your search turns up a bottle of absinthe, don't drink it in any kind of glass.