Alan Moss

The Ultimate Guide to Spirits and Cocktails

Several months ago the journalist and wine expert André Dominé decided to craft a book entitled "The Ultimate Bar Book". Claude-Alain provided some wonderful pictures for the chapter on absinthe. The publishers H.F. Ullmann have kindly allowed us to include the absinthe chapter on our site: the link is here. Note when you get there that it's a 3 MB download.

The 816 page book comes out in the USA in November so you have a chance of a free taster. One or two errors but nothing about bars or cocktails on the free extract. Note the book's change of name for the USA (as in the title of this topic).

Not only seemed vague, but containing info I have never read elsewhere.

The excessive and chronic enjoyment of absinthe caused hallucinations and led to both physical and psychiatric impairment.

I think that sentence should start with: It was believed, by some that...

...the fact that too much alcohol prevented the absorption of thujone, while nicotine prevented the effect of thujone.

Was I hallucinating when I read this part of the five books on absinthe I have read so far? Did I miss this somehow?

It seems that the intro section to this chapter was written a long time ago.

This kind of information makes it difficult for me to take the remainder of the piece seriously.

Agreed.

I think this reflects the general ignorance about absinthe in much of Europe. After a decade of absinthe in European shops, we still see articles like this.

At least the photos are good. :twitchsmile: