CajunDaddys_girl

Truth about Le Tourment Verte

In almost all cases, I agree, but when it comes to a visionary absinthe like L' Italienne, there's certainly room for the rare exception to the rule.

I sure liked the bottle but not enough to keep it in my house. That :poop: had to go!

The bottle went with it. It sucketh mightily.

Ya'll have a nice evenin' :cheers:

Yes, but Le Tourment Verte is nowhere near visionary. Of all the new USA approved absinthes, LTV is the most Czech-like dreck I've ever sampled. I don't even consider it absinthe.

Dreck suggests it has a strong, offensive flavor. Instead I think what they were going for is as little flavor as possible. Which is why it came out as a relatively mild version of a very recognizable flavor for the U.S. consumer: dental products.

IMHO, LTV is more offensive for what it isn't than what it is. In and of itself it's a one-dimensional, artificially colored, uninteresting liqueur that lacks any character in its flavor profile. That a marketing department would call it absinthe is what makes it truly offensive, not the unremarkable liquid itself.

For someone who appreciates excellence in a beverage, it represents the anti-thesis of their viewpoint: a beverage specifically designed for mediocrity, with a deliberately malaise flavor the intention of which is to offend as few ignoramuses as possible. It is one thing for someone to aspire for greatness and arrive at mediocrity, I believe that calls for some degree of tolerance, but conversely, those who would strive for mediocrity in the sole interest of mass appeal deserve no quarter.

In almost all cases, I agree, but when it comes to a visionary absinthe like L' Italienne, there's certainly room for the rare exception to the rule.

Fuckin' A.

IMHO, LTV is more offensive for what it isn't than what it is. In and of itself it's a one-dimensional, artificially colored, uninteresting liqueur that lacks any character in its flavor profile. That a marketing department would call it absinthe is what makes it truly offensive, not the unremarkable liquid itself.

See above.

It smells and tastes like men's cologne.

I was surprised to see another absinthe in my ABC, so I decided to buy it. Too bad WWS doesn't have an iPhone app that I could've pulled absinthe reviews from while I was there to save me some money.

tastes like men's cologne.

Dude, just because it has alcohol in it, doesn't mean you're supposed to drink it.

Unless you're Nephrite, of course. ;)

Trid has a good point. Luckily, you can still find the real deal on eBay.

post-1814-1225582218.jpg

Ooh! I see syrup of ipecac has a new label! :devil:

It smells to me like athletic cream. I detect a slight funk in the aroma (but not so much in the taste) that might be the poor quality alcohol base or something trying to be wormwood. To me, these two things combined make the odor reminscent of a locker room.

I picked up a little marketing pamphlet at my bottle shop last week called "flavorpill: Absinthe Cocktails Exposed". It's a slick multi-paneled piece with a history of the drink through the USA ban on one side, and cocktail recipes on the other, ending with an unfortunate two-panel piece comparing the "Classic Ritual" with the "Bohemian Ritual".

Here's a photo from the flavorpill site featuring the foldout pamphlet:

flavorpill.jpg

Upon close examination, flavorpill has a partnership with LTV. Inside the pamphlet, there's an outline of an absinthe bottle which matches the LTV bottle (you can see it right above the girl's ring finger), as well as a panel entitled "The Proof is in the Absinthe": on the left side is a list of several commercial offerings with their alcohol proof, including LTV, Kübler, St. George's, Lucid, and Pernod. I quote the text of the panel here:

Due to variations in palate, varying portions and combination preferences, many absinthes also include a sundry of other mountain herbs. Depending on the makeup of the individual absinthe as well as its alcohol content, some are better for mixing cocktails, while others are better left to be consumed on their own. Cocktailing with absinthes that are 100 proof or less allows flavors to expand.

So, anyway, here's the link to the flavorpill Absinthe site. Might make for some comic reading. I think it's kind of ironic that LTV won't flame according to the "Bohemian Ritual" - it's too low in alcohol to get it going...

Oh, and the stack of these pamphlets was sitting right next to the small selection of absinthes at my bottle shop. They carry LTV, Kübler, Trillium, and Marteau. Only the Marteau was sold out. :cheers:

tastes like men's cologne.

Dude, just because it has alcohol in it, doesn't mean you're supposed to drink it.

Unless you're Nephrite, of course. ;)

I can't help it; I love Kitty Dukakis. :twitchsmile:

No doubt you've all been following the brouhaha about LTV's underhanded comment spamming over the past few days in all the cocktail blogs, but I thought I'd post the following response that they shared with Cocktail Nerd today:

Dear Cocktailing Community,

We very much appreciate your feedback and concern regarding our brand, Le Tourment Vert absinthe. Our efforts to communicate with the online community were clearly misguided and we apologize for inadvertently offending you and your readers. This began with us wanting to convey the positive attributes of Le Tourment Vert and the simple belief that it can be mixed well in a cocktail. We do not pretend to be experts in online communication nor do we have a corporate communications department. We are a small import company and we relied on the recommendations of an outside party and authorized them to communicate to the online community about our product. This decision was ill-advised and we deeply regret the obvious insult that it has caused. We take full responsibility for this and are taking the following actions immediately to address the situation.

We have instructed the outside party to stop any and all further communications representing our company and our brand.

Any online communications on blogs or message boards from this point forward will be will be clearly identified as emanating from our company or representative.

We will seek to personally apologize to any and all members of the online community who have been hurt by unsolicited communication that we or our representatives have caused.

In addition, we would like to ensure that we have addressed any and all of your concerns. We welcome any suggestions or comments whether on an individual basis or as a group. Please feel free to contact us directly at info@vinetege.com.

It is also our hope that we may be able to reintroduce Le Tourment Vert to you, in terms as you see appropriate. We hope you will give us the opportunity to make this right. We appreciate your consideration and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Ashley Garver

Field Marketing Coordinator

Distillerie Vinet Ege SA

Looks like some heads are going to roll! If only they'd use this opportunity to totally reformulate the product, making it into a traditional absinthe. Then we could perhaps all agree that this represents true contrition...

I met several of the representatives, including Ashley at the TotC last year, and again in San Francisco. They are nice people who have, as the letter states, been misguided by some. Maybe in the future we'll see a better product which would reflect them as people. Right now, it doesn't.

If they start making actual absinthe (even a bad one), I'll be okay with them. As long as they peddle their not-absinthe as absinthe, I'm not interested.

I've been mostly staying out of this, but like Brian, I've met the key people behind LTV on several occasions, and while we may have vastly different opinions about what can pass as absinthe, and most definitely disagree on marketing strategy, they're nice folks and I believe they were well-meaning when they set out. I think they just made some very unfortunate choices in terms of consulting on product development and promotion.

And they made a very sweeping apology. That's worthy of acknowledgment.

If they are willing to admit mistakes in marketing, maybe next they'll come to terms with their absinthe. It's been awhile since I tried it but mostly I remember a drink in disparate need of a big dose of anise. Perhaps their next move will be to re-formulate the beverage into a real traditional absinthe.

The next time one of these borderline Czechsinthes make it stateside, we need to scam our way in to their launch party, find our way over to the E! live broadcast, and spit the shit out within camera range.

Simultaneously.

What, indeed, does it all mean? From a personal perspective, it means that I've lost my faith in hot Armenians.

And that I'm disgusted by the quote they feature from absintheology.com "Le Tourment Vert contains the maximum dosage of thujone currently allowed by the United States Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB)." We all know thujone level is irrelevant, but the max amount allowed? As in- technically per TTB definition- none at all? Nice way to quote a (questionable) third party to try and get away with using the thujone hype.