Retrogarde

Absinthe-powered Steampunk Arm

arm1sm.jpg

So this is something I've been working on for a while now (two months maybe?). My brother made me the glove about ten years ago, and I decided it was time to extend the brassy goodness up my arm. It is entirely constructed of metal, leather, glass and cloth-covered vintage phone cord.

arm2sm.jpg

Once I started working on it I thought it would be fun to incorporate some absinthe into the deal. The spoon is held in place by some very strong magnets.

arm3sm.jpg

Yes, I know the absinthe shouldn't be stored in clear glass, but this is all for effect. For long term display I'll either leave it empty or fill it with Absente...

arm4sm.jpg

The small brass pill box holds a couple sugar cubes quite nicely. Shown here are two that I made for the Time Traveller experiments.

On the far left tucked behind some brass tubing you can see the "furnace". It is lit with one of those LED "flickering safety candles" for Jack'O'Lanterns. I was working at one point on making it smoke out the smoke stack, but it was getting cumbersome...

The chain is a self retracting key holder. It adds a nice illusion of mechanization when I move my arm.

Thoughts? :cheers:

You have way too much time on your hands! Well done! Reminds me of something I would see in Bioshock. It would be so cool to wear that at parties just to mess with people. :cheers:

Thanks Derrick!

Too much time? Nah, I work 8-10 hours a day and take care of my nine-month-old son for another 6 hours. The key is simply that I don't watch TV and I don't play video games, so when I have a spare moment I spend it making stuff instead.

Random thought: I wonder if I could take this thing on a plane?

I love it. Mr. Roboto. You should take it further. A whole suit. I know that would get expensive. Probably hard to get dressed too.

I don't care what you say, Retro. You are not getting out enough. Or your wife is ignoring you.

Like the Lady says, that's pretty freakin' awesome! :cheers:

You are not getting out enough. Or your wife is ignoring you.

Good God T, I hope you're not implying I've made a "brass stranger", the world's first articulated steampunk masturbation glove?? :shock:

I'll probably work this into a movie or play at some point and then it won't seem so strange... A full suit Wilson? Sounds good to me!

The possibilities are endless. I have a visual on the Steam Punk Testicles and I am thinking mini-bellows would do the trick.

Wow, you guys have taken this someplace VERY strange. Bellows, Wilson? Yikes...

All the brass plating was free for the taking from my local trophy shop's reject bin. I made friends with the owner and he lets we pick through now and again. So the raw materials wouldn't be an issue, it's just all the doo-dads and whatnots that go on top of it to "steampunk" it up a bit. I would never be able to replicate on a left arm what I've done on the right, but that in itself can be sort of liberating. The whole thing could be very piecemeal.

But I ain't adding copper balls or a brass wang. End of story. We'll just have to integrate the fountain concept someplace else! :devil:

You should take it further. A whole suit. I know that would get expensive. Probably hard to get dressed too.

Not to mention making a hell of a racket in the dryer.

Retro, that is awesome. Great work!