• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#181 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 09:42 AM

I was just browsing the LCBO website and noticed that Lucid is now available there. Yayyy!!!!!!!!! I'm not surprised its Lucid but this is still +1 for Canada. So when will Lucid be hitting SAQ stores?

#182 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:45 PM

I've seen it at a few Duty-Free's @ border crossings...
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#183 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 04:02 AM

That's how I got my two bottles, about fifty bucks each.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#184 GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

Back in about 2004 or 2005, I tried to get the LCBO to import a case of Doub's for me. They do have a by-the-case special order service, but due to the dreaded thujone they sent me a polite letter declining my request.

#185 Petr_Kropotkin

Petr_Kropotkin

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Well there is absinthe in canada with thujone. The question is quality not quantity. I only seen 3or 4 brands.

#186 Petr_Kropotkin

Petr_Kropotkin

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:30 PM

I just found this post. We Canadians are lucky we've got Alan pulling for us :cheers:

Since I live in Toronto, I have a couple options available to me:

1 - Order high priced absinthe from one of only a few vendors that are still able to ship to Canada. This vendor also sadly lacks the variety that the rest of you sirs find yourselves privileged to, although they do have some good "usual suspects".

2 - Order only from Taboo and the new CLB batch coming in soon on the east coast, in some hope that my little sum of money saturating the pathetic absinthe market here in Canada will make a difference.

3 - Drink Hills and try to enjoy the sodomy that IS the LCBO.

Anyone have any ideas? Would it behest the Canadian absintheur to buy Canadian absinthe only? I doubt that my buck would make a difference.

LCBO ?

#187 GeorgeB

GeorgeB

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

LCBO ?

LCBO = Liquor Control Board of Ontario. It's the government-owned, government-mandated monopoly on the distribution and sale of spirits in Ontario. Given that it's run by the government, well, you can probably figure out what their idea of "selection" is.

#188 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

I see you guys in Ontario have Vieux Pontarlier now. We had it, now its gone. I take it it's not gimmicky enough for the SAQ because that's what they go for. The only new Canadian whisk on their shelf in the last year is this: http://www.coyoteuglywhisky.com/. I still bought it though and its actually pretty good. Made by Highwood. Now i'm off topic. Point is absinthe situation has not gotten much better in the last couple years. And I don't think it's going to unless more people start making it here.

#189 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:56 AM

La Clandestine is now available in Ontario via Vintages Online. It can be ordered for delivery to any LCBO or Vintages shop.

So in Ontario, people can now get La Clandestine, Vieux Pontarlier, Lucid and Herbsaint (or Hills and Versinthe). Pernod was discontinued there recently. I'd say the selection has got somewhat better. At last. 

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#190 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

I read through the thread but it seems most here are from eastern Canada. Any idea of trying to import into BC is likely to have any different outcomes? Seems around here we have Taboo and everything else I've found so far is artificial. (Hills, NV Absinthe Vert, etc)  I'm hoping to put together a special event for some friends and was planning to get Taboo and a couple others if possible.

#191 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:14 AM

Cross the border into Washington and you'll find a few more respectable brands that are not available in Canada.

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#192 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

I read through the thread but it seems most here are from eastern Canada. Any idea of trying to import into BC is likely to have any different outcomes?

There are a few cases of La Clandestine in BC and Alberta, but mainly in bars and restaurants, I believe.

www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#193 AndrewMTO

AndrewMTO

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

La Clandestine is now available in Ontario via Vintages Online. It can be ordered for delivery to any LCBO or Vintages shop.

So in Ontario, people can now get La Clandestine, Vieux Pontarlier, Lucid and Herbsaint (or Hills and Versinthe). Pernod was discontinued there recently. I'd say the selection has got somewhat better. At last. 

The LCBO is now out of Vieux Pontarlier. I e-mailed the about it a month ago and the reply said it has been discontinued.

It is now listed in two Societé d'alcool du Québec (SAQ) Signature locations - one in Montreal and one in Quebec City.

And the Canadian Merry-go-round continues.

I think most of my absinthe will be purchased from sources like DrinkUpNY when I make trips to the US.

#194 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

In western Canada I've also been able to find bottles of Lucid. Absinthes.com says they can ship to BC and I'll be trying this out shortly. Once Pemberton distilleries have their second batch out I may give that a go.

#195 ilion

ilion

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Wanted to follow up that I did finally place my order to Absinthes.com and it got to me in under 2 weeks. The postal services did an awesome job of letting me track it as well. I ordered two bottles - Duplai Blanche and Absinthe Authentique. With only two bottles I didn't qualify for free shipping so I paid quite a bit there.

#196 MaxThrusters

MaxThrusters

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

I'm hesitant to post to such an old topic but here goes!

Recently (Oct 2013) I received an order from Absintheclassics.com with no problems, although they did not provide me with a tracking number which was somewhat irritating. Ordering from them seems be a good way of trying some brands that the local liquor stores won't stock (in my case, the LCBO or SAQ). I received Esprit Edouard, La Berthe de Joux, and La Roquette 1797.

I'm in Ottawa. The local LCBO stocks La Clandestine, Versinthe, and Absente. The SAQ over the border in Quebec stocks La Clandestine, Taboo, & Vieux Pontarlier. So, not much choice at either. Also, prices in Ontario much higher than Quebec due to taxation differences. Overall, I would have to say importing from Europe is a better deal especially if ordering enough to qualify for free shipping.

I love La Clandestine, but it's $99 in Ontario, $88 in Quebec, yet only $65 in Europe MINUS VAT! Such crazy taxes we endure, sigh. I hope this post is helpful, cheers

#197 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:39 PM

Calgary Co-op in SW has Voodoo absinthe for cheaper than you can buy in BC.

#198 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:49 AM

Taboo found in Calgary at the SW Co-op.

#199 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Taboo found at Chinook liquor in Calgary.

#200 deltapapatango

deltapapatango

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Picked up Pernod absinthe at the Royal Liquor on 17th and 8 st SW.  Taboo available there as well.  Price is more than Chinook liquor.

#201 SuperNintendoChalmers

SuperNintendoChalmers

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:41 PM

Taboo is also available in many Co-Op Wine & Liquor Stores in Calgary.

@deltapapatango - nice to see someone also in Calgary who is on this forum!

#202 SuperNintendoChalmers

SuperNintendoChalmers

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Crowfoot Wine & Liquor Store in Calgary (Crowfoot location):

• Taboo
  • Hills
  • La Clandestine
  • La Fee
  • Perno

#203 SuperNintendoChalmers

SuperNintendoChalmers

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

CSN Wine & Spirits in Calgary:

• Pernod
  • Absente
  • Lucid
  • Taboo
  • Green Tree Absinthe (!)
  • Dabel Red Absinthe (!)

#204 LoneHowler

LoneHowler

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:39 AM

The Calgary airport liquor stores have Absinthe. Each one has Taboo and one or two other brands. So far I haven't found the other brands have very good ratings on this website.
If you do pick up Taboo while traveling through, remember that liquids restrictions apply. If you buy it at one of the two stores outside of security make sure to do so before you check your bags. If you buy it past security remember you may run into trouble when you make connections

#205 SuperNintendoChalmers

SuperNintendoChalmers

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 12:27 PM

Out of curiosity, what were the two other brands?

#206 LoneHowler

LoneHowler

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

La Fee, Hills, the Czech absinth (I'm not sure it's name) but it's the brand that has the red absinthe, and a French one, but it didn't get a good rating. Each store seems to have Taboo and one or two of these others. Only two of the stores are outside of security, but the main one has Taboo for 36$
Edit: I'm not sure what the Duty Free stores carry, as only international travelers are allowed to buy things there

Is there stores in Cagary that carry good traditionals other than Taboo?

Edited by LoneHowler, 31 March 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#207 SuperNintendoChalmers

SuperNintendoChalmers

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:27 AM

$36 for Taboo is a good price compared to what you can find at Co-Op Wine & Spirits or Crowfoor Liquor Stores (usually $40+).

Crowfoot Liquor, the Crowfoot location, sells La Clandestine priced at $100+ for a 700mL bottle...

#208 LoneHowler

LoneHowler

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:25 PM

Found Absente http://www.wormwoods...cle/147-absente at Penbrooke liquor in the S.E. $44 it's not as strong in flavor as Taboo and louche is so-so. Not bad overal but I think the mix ratio might have to be greater so cost might not be worth a second try.

Edit: I forgot to mention that it came with a spoon.

Edited by LoneHowler, 04 April 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#209 SuperNintendoChalmers

SuperNintendoChalmers

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:27 PM

Pernod spotted at Highlander Wine & Spirits at the North HIll location. It's probably carried at their other locations as well.

#210 SuperNintendoChalmers

SuperNintendoChalmers

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Willow Park Wine & Spirits Main Store:

• Taboo
  • Pernod
  • St. George (200mL)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users