Canada

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#61 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:27 PM

I'm just wondering if anyone else in the Great White North got the email from Oxy with the good news .... :cheers:

I might have...I am unable to check my email from work and my computer is getting fixed cause it has a major virus problem right now

can you PM me a copy please?
nasty prisms good sir

#62 Le Diable Bleu

Le Diable Bleu

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:53 AM

What good news? I want to know :dev-cheers: !

#63 EdouardPerneau

EdouardPerneau

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

LDF resume shipement
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .

#64 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

did Sirene drop in price?

from LCBO.com

SIRÈNE ABSINTHE VERTE
VINTAGES 109330 | 750 mL bottle

Price: $ 83.15
nasty prisms good sir

#65 Le Diable Bleu

Le Diable Bleu

• Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

Saw that to, it's possible from what the guys from Sirene said in another post that the price was adjusted by the LCBO. It's now more interesting, I'm eager to get a bottle someday and do a review!

#66 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:11 AM

I digs me some Sirene
nasty prisms good sir

#67 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

I was returning home from Michigan through Ontario a few days ago, & detoured a bit through north London to pick up a bottle of Sirene listed on the LCBO site. It showed they had 8 bottles in stock, but alas, none could be found at the location after about 20+ minutes of investigation by staff. :no: Needless to say, I was a bit disappointed...
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

#68 Sonja

Sonja

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

Hello all. Sirene's price was indeed adjusted by the LCBO to 83.15. We are not yet sure whether this is a temporary change or not, but I will update further once we have confirmation.

Sardonix, I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. It's too late now, given that you're not in the area anymore, but I will follow up on it to inquire. I have been told that the inventory system is not perfect, your experience proves that point.

#69 EdouardPerneau

EdouardPerneau

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:29 PM

Canadian interested to get european absinthe I could help you ... just give me a PM

cheers !
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .

#70 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:16 AM

Nice article in today's National Post.

Obsello and La Clandestine in the photo; NO, Obsello and Taboo in the article.

I suggest Canadians register and add their comments to the blog. This is a very high profile opportunity for you and the Liquor Boards will be reading!
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#71 Wayek

Wayek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 03:44 PM

The problem with LCBO is that they will only allow to stock absinthe that only contains 1ppm thujone and they will not budge on that .. If you can get your product at 1ppm thujone or less then they will consider it if you are willing to go through their processes...but the problem I think with that would be if distillers got their absinthe to be at that ammount they would have to alter the recipe and use less wormwood, would they not? I'm not sure...correct me if I am wrong

Sirene Verte is the only actual absinthe that they sell and it's only available in Toronto and Ottawa and you need to order it by the case - yeah, some variety at the LCBO instead of Sirene and Pernod would nice for a change

My voice has been heard in the article.
nasty prisms good sir

#72 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

I live in Montreal Quebec and I was really looking forward to having Clandestine and Taboo on the shelves by Christmas... but apparently this will not happen until March?!!? Is this true? I don't know what to believe anymore, I called the SAQ a couple weeks ago and they said December.

I am anxiously awaiting some variety for Canada and I thought it would come sooner than this. I love Clandestine, usually always have it on hand from Premier. Taboo is ok, I don't like it as much as my first tasting. To me it now tastes like Eaux de Vie flavored with some herbs.

I was happily ordering from DrinkUpNy for awhile until my last shipment of 6 bottles! was seized by Canada Customs. This is a warning to any Canadians who do order from them. Seizures are always a risk. So I don't think 'll be ordering from abroad anymore.

And absintheclassics.ca has stopped delivering within Canada as well???

I thought things were looking pretty good for Canada when Taboo was released but now I'm not so sure.

#73 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:10 PM

I live in Montreal Quebec and I was really looking forward to having Clandestine and Taboo on the shelves by Christmas... but apparently this will not happen until March?!!? Is this true?

I don't know about Taboo. However I have been told that SAQ only puts La Clandestine on the shelves in March. Which seems strange since they already have the stock. We've asked them to re-consider.

#74 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,590 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:27 PM

Great, someone to get cofused with Baubel, as if absinthe addiction isn't enough of a monkey on my back. ;) :laugh:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#75 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

I wonder what the reasoning behind that is. You would think they would want it out by Christmas because thats when people buy the most booze, try new boozes they don't usually drink and give booze as gifts.

I hope they reconsider well.

And thanks a million for getting this shit going :cheers:

#76 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:34 PM

Oh shit. Didn't realize they was a member named Baubel.

Don't worry though I probably won't post that often, only because its not something I really do. This is the first forum I've ever joined. Just want to stay on track with whats happening with absinthe in Canada. I do read the forum a lot and I have learned much from the website in general.

#77 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:39 PM

This is a pretty nice place to hang out.

Would you drop by the newcomer introduction area and tell us a little about yourself so we can welcome you right and proper.

You never know how a newcomer thread can get derailed until you've posted one. Thanks. :wave2:

It may help with the baubel confusion. ;)
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#78 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

"Shit" is one of my favorite words...

:laf:

Just don't choose a Bill Bailey avatar and I think we'll be okay. :cheers:

Heh. baubel quoting Babel.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#79 oglala56

oglala56

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

Don't worry though I probably won't post that often, only because its not something I really do. This is the first forum I've ever joined. Just want to stay on track with whats happening with absinthe in Canada. I do read the forum a lot and I have learned much from the website in general.

Newcomer introduction would be excellent...I am pretty sure all will be able to tell the Babel from the Baubel.... :cheers:
"Everything is on its way to somewhere" (Albert Einstein)

#80 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:24 PM

I just noticed Absinthe Classics Canada is out of commission. What's going on?
HH

#81 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,590 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

You've only got yourselves to blame. :laugh:

Seriously, Canada's tough stance on the importing of absinthe had a lot to do with that, I'd surmise.

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#82 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:00 PM

Yep. I've noticed that for awhile now. Rue verte is no longer shipping absinthe to Canada and neither is Ldf. And on top of all that, worst of all things... I bought a bottle of Grande Absente yesterday :dead:

#83 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

And to make it even worse, Premier Halifax is out-of-stock ....

of La Fée Parisian.

But they still have the Bohemian (and Taboo and La Clandestine).

#84 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

Ya that too! If it weren't for them still carrying the Bohemian, I'd haue no use for them anymore. I guess this Christmas will be a Blue Christmas :(

#85 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:13 AM

In time, I believe, the Canadian situation will get better. On the positive side, we have access to Taboo and CLB. I am grateful for that.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#86 mattsback

mattsback

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 07:09 AM

Hey all,
As of now in Gatineau,Quebec 15 minutes from Ottawa I can get,
Absente $50.25
Hills $63.25
Versinthe for $38.95
Pernod $77.00
All prices are in Canadian Dollars.
In Ottawa the Resto bar Absinthe serves,Taboo,Pernod and the Hills.

http://www.saq.com/w...chTerm=absinthe
There is also a Versinthe gift set available for $56.00
Posted Image

#87 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

You can... but don't. If you have to buy one get Versinthe but remember it is an Absinthe Liqueur as it states on the bottle and not a traditional absinthe. It does have a good herb bill though.

#88 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 12:05 PM

Go to the LCBO on Rideau, downstreet from the Parliament, go downstairs and ask for Sirène Absinthe. That's the best you can get until SAQ gets Clandestine and Kübler.
HH

#89 mattsback

mattsback

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

Thats actually my next stop. I am gonna try the Taboo see how that is next day or 2 at the Resto.
Just checked online i think Rideau LCBO still has 8 bottles of the Sirene left.

#90 Babble

Babble

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:31 PM

According to the Taboo website (http://tabooabsinthe.com/home.html), Taboo Absinthe will be available in select LCBO vintages stores as of May 2010.

Does that mean that Taboo meets the 1ppm rule??? If so I really hope that any future Canadian absinthes do not adhere to this rule while crafting their product.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association