• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#1 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

Our Canadian friends are getting desperate for absinthe. Some of them are even thinking of emigrating south, although that may depend on the election result.

They can get Taboo in B.C. but I understand that Absinthe Classics Canada has had problems shipping more broadscale. Pernod are Hill's are in several provinces. The one remaining European shipper has put their prices up. La Clandestine is in one bar and we have another order on the way ...

The main problem continues to be the Liquor Boards, either saying that there is no demand (with the current general brand choice, I wonder why!) or hiding behind Health Canada guidelines (quoted as below 1 ppm or below 5 ppm by different people).

Rather than meeting clandestinely secretly in bars to discuss how to resolve this, my Canadian friends have set up a more public Facebook group, Canadians for Real Absinthe. If you live there, or if you ever shop in Canada, or would like to, please join!

If they can get 1,000 members, it may start to show the Liquor Boards that there is a demand.

With 10,000 members, the Group may start to get some publicity.

With 100,000 members, it could get really interesting!
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#2 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:24 PM

One thing that amazes me is that you can buy poor quality fakes in our local MLCC stores, but only one quality, "real" Absinthe, Taboo (which I absolutely love, by the way). It would seem to me that there are a lot of good reasons, including economic ones, to make it easier to get quality products.

Canadians, let's support the facebook group and get active. Write to the appropriate provincial authorities. Let's show our love for the Green Fairy! :cheers:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

#3 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,534 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:50 PM

Let's get Terrance and Phillip to join the campaign! :yahoo:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#4 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,030 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 04:11 AM

"Blame Canada!" :laf:

#5 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,534 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:57 AM

Don't laugh too hard, there, Bob.

Your flappin' head might come off! :laugh:

#6 EdouardPerneau

EdouardPerneau

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

Thanks Alan ,

It will be fun to have quality brand at SAQ to complain on instead of absente , pernod and versinthe
Si tu veux t’aventurer dans la recherche sur l’absinthe c’est triste mais c’est en français que ça se passe .

#7 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:47 PM

Need a little love for America's hat!

#8 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

Tuque?
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#9 smiley

smiley

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

I just found this post. We Canadians are lucky we've got Alan pulling for us :cheers:

Since I live in Toronto, I have a couple options available to me:

1 - Order high priced absinthe from one of only a few vendors that are still able to ship to Canada. This vendor also sadly lacks the variety that the rest of you sirs find yourselves privileged to, although they do have some good "usual suspects".

2 - Order only from Taboo and the new CLB batch coming in soon on the east coast, in some hope that my little sum of money saturating the pathetic absinthe market here in Canada will make a difference.

3 - Drink Hills and try to enjoy the sodomy that IS the LCBO.

Anyone have any ideas? Would it behest the Canadian absintheur to buy Canadian absinthe only? I doubt that my buck would make a difference.

Edited by smiley, 21 November 2008 - 11:53 AM.

#10 buddhasynth

buddhasynth

Unseemly and Obtuse

• 2,647 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Option 3 is not an option. Clean your toilet with that stuff and forget it exists afterward.
What part of Klaatu Barada Nikto don't you understand?

...because shoddy absinthes will be flavored with the lubricator of take the lead anise.

#11 smiley

smiley

• Indefinite Suspension
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 10:20 PM

Hills took my innocence, friend. You should have seen me. I was 16 years old, I had gone to the trouble of finding someone in my high school old enough to buy me a bottle, (yes, the drinking age in canada is 19, sometimes 18). I'm still trying to figure out if there is some way to get a refund. I can in all good conscience assert that Hills is not an absinthe.

I'm sorry, pardon me, absinth.

#12 Bob Tessier

Bob Tessier

WS token Canuck

• 2,030 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:31 AM

The MLCC treated me well after I made the mistake of buying Czech Absinth Strong several weeks ago during my absinthe infancy. Even without a receipt they refunded the whole price based simply on my statement: "I don't like it." I left the store with two bottles of Taboo.

#13 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:15 AM

I'm gonna try to get LCBO to make an order from Drink up NY, I just really want to get my hands on Marteau, Duplais and Vieux Pontarlier. Hope they don't end up being douchebags.
HH

#14 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,776 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:03 AM

Good luck, but I won't hold out too much hope, based on the history of shipments of absinthe to Canada.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#15 Stomp Brockmore

Stomp Brockmore

stabbed in the face.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 11:16 AM

I'm gonna try to get LCBO to make an order from Drink up NY, I just really want to get my hands on Marteau, Duplais and Vieux Pontarlier. Hope they don't end up being douchebags.

You can be sure that they WILL end up being douchebags. They will end up being douchebags because they already are douchebags.

#16 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:22 AM

Did any of you ever try to get LCBO to order either from overseas of from the U.S. If not, how do you get your absinthe into Canada.
HH

#17 Stomp Brockmore

Stomp Brockmore

stabbed in the face.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 06:26 AM

I either order from the vendors that ship here, order the absinthes that are available here (Taboo Gold, Clandestine, etc) or pick up bottles when I'm in the U.S. or overseas. I'm in the U.S. fairly often. If I'm desperate for a certain absinthe, sometimes I'll order it to wherever I am staying in the U.S. and then bring it home with me.

#18 Sonja

Sonja

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:22 AM

Hello all - I am happy to announce that the LCBO has just received some of our Sirene Absinthe Verte, and I expect it will be available in a few of their stores there in early March. They do indeed have a complex process for submitting new products - they only look at them in specific time windows, and have a fairly rigorous review/tasting/testing process as well. They are particularly sensitive about absinthe - even more so than the US government, based on our experience.

We are planning to be in Toronto in May, and will have some tasting events there before then. I hope you'll consider coming out and giving ours a try. :cheers:

#19 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Now there's some good news! *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#20 Stomp Brockmore

Stomp Brockmore

stabbed in the face.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:53 AM

Wow! I'm impressed! I figured the LCBO would be turning their noses up at ALL new absinthes considering the minimal success of Pernod 68. They seemed to be against it, stating, "We already offer two absinthes. They don't sell very well."
I'm looking forward to this!

#21 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,534 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:20 PM

Canada never ceases to surprise!

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating...but this time, definitely! :thumbup:

#22 Joe Legate

Joe Legate

2 jobs. 0 sense.

• Advisory Board
  • 16,940 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:28 PM

Congratulations Sonja and Canada!

#23 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:30 PM

OK ... let's be a little bit controversial on this one.

While this is good news for Sirene and Sonja, and while it does appear to open the door to absinthe in Canada a little more, there's a small downside.

I am assuming (since LCBO continue this week to state their 1 ppm policy) that Sirene meets that limit. In effect, then, this gives the LCBO one more reason to say to others "They can get below 1 ppm; why can't you?" And so it could end up blocking the door to several (many?) absinthes in Canada ... or even meaning that some change their recipes to get below 1 ppm. Maybe that is easier with certain strains of wormwood.

So here's hoping that this opens the door to real absinthes in Ontario, rather than shutting the door there to many brands this community loves.

Sorry if that sounds a little like sour grapes ... so congratulations, Sonja! :cheers:
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#24 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:59 PM

Well, they can only keep that policy until Health Canada sets a limit on Thujone content. It pisses me off that they just take up this ridiculous limit on there own simply based on rumors even though there is no actual law in Canada. Anyways, Health Canada is working setting a thujone limit for Canada, hopefully as much as the U.S.: I.E. <10ppm.

Cheers
HH
HH

#25 Marlow

Marlow

Aeronaut

• Silver Member
  • 889 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:56 AM

Is smoking legal in Canada?

Is it possible that absinthe with 10 ppm (or even 50 ppm for that matter) is more unhealthful than tobacco?

Sheesh!
Annihilating all that's made
To a green thought in a green shade.

#26 Stomp Brockmore

Stomp Brockmore

stabbed in the face.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:25 AM

Smoking is only barely legal. Can't smoke in bars, can't smoke in restaurants, can't smoke in cars, can't display cigarettes or tobacco products on store shelves (convenience stores have to hide their cigarettes), and on and on. I'm speaking for Ontario only, actually, which has a very protective, babysitter-like government. I'm surprised a local MP doesn't show up to fine me if I eat past 8pm.

The booze situation is way better outside this province - B.C., Alberta, etc.

#27 Heavy Harpoon

Heavy Harpoon

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:38 PM

Premier Wine and Spirits started stocking La Fée Parisienne and La Fée Bohemian. :thumbdown: At least they still stock Clandestine and Taboo.

:cheers:

HH
HH

#28 89five.o

89five.o

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:11 PM

I'll be visiting Windsor a bit while working near Detroit so I joined. :cheers:

#29 robb3566

robb3566

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:37 AM

Is smoking legal in Canada?

Is it possible that absinthe with 10 ppm (or even 50 ppm for that matter) is more unhealthful than tobacco?

Sheesh!

Or playing hockey? :laugh:
"The eyes...are the groin of the head." -Dwight Schrute

#30 sardonix

sardonix

C30H40O6 aficionado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:26 PM

Hello all - I am happy to announce that the LCBO has just received some of our Sirene Absinthe Verte, and I expect it will be available in a few of their stores there in early March.

We are planning to be in Toronto in May, and will have some tasting events there before then. I hope you'll consider coming out and giving ours a try. :cheers:

I'd greatly appreciate any updates on Toronto (or nearby) events; That's close enough for me to attend (passport pending) & I have yet to try the Sirene...definitely interested!
I think, therefore I am. Or am I over-thinking? I am thinking it over...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association