Gwydion Stone

Subscription Announcement

Hi folks,

Like a Public Television pledge drive, this is somewhat a repeat of my last subscription request, but unlike a pledge drive it hasn't happened for ten months and it won't last for a week. It won't even interrupt your entertainment.

I dislike sounding like a Public Television spokesman, but if you like what we're doing here, please consider purchasing a paid subscription to help keep things going. If you're already a subscriber, thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

I know that some of you probably think I'm rolling in it, what with Marteau and all, but Marteau isn't on the shelves yet, I won't see revenue from it for probably a couple of months, and I haven't had a day job since December '07. I've spent literally all of my time on WS and getting Marteau off the ground. That adds up to a lot of private loans, strained friendships, service interruptions, and cut-off notices.

A number of important projects have been delayed, such as the Absinthe Chronicles podcast, distributing educational materials for members of the trade, such as bartenders, serving staff and managers, and legal research in the work toward assuring a legal definition for absinthe. These last are especially vital to protecting the integrity of absinthe as a spirit category.

As a producer, it's appropriate that I should gradually take a less central role in administering WS and allow other talented and expert members to step up. I'd like to be able to pay writers and editors and a techie or two.

As I said, I don't like to ask for money, even when it's necessary. WS was conceived of as a free service and I'd like to keep it that way, but revenue is necessary to sustain and grow the organization. So I've developed a cunning plan.

Hiram's Cunning Plan

We'll continue to take subscriptions for the remainder of 2008 and throughout 2009. New Year's 2010, we'll add up all of the revenue WS has ever earned in subscriptions, I will personally match it, and we'll donate it all to a worthy cause to be determined soon.

In your Control Panel there's an area where you can select a membership package that fits your budget. I know that our membership spans the entire economic range from flat broke to quite-comfortable-thank-you-very-much, so if you're totally strapped don't sweat it, just have fun, but if you have some spare jingle, it'll sure help the cause.

There are standard and anonymous options for each level. The standard option displays an icon in your profile and changes your member group to reflect your subscription level:

Bronze: bronze.png Silver: silver.png Gold: gold.png Diamond:diamond.png

Thank you all for your continued support! :cheers:

Cheers,

~ Hiram

Edited by Hiram
Added new subscriber icon options.

Just a few honest questions. Please don't think I'm trying to be rude, I'm more than happy to pay-to-play:

1. So, depending on ones level of subscription, will they (at some time) be restricted to certain areas of the site?

2. Will noobs have to create a paid account just to have a question answered?

3. Will this ultimately create a 'gated community' that does not feel welcoming?

Hiram's Cunning Plan

We'll continue to take subscriptions for the remainder of 2008 and throughout 2009. New Year's 2010, we'll add up all of the revenue WS has ever earned in subscriptions, I will personally match it, and we'll donate it all to a worthy cause to be determined soon.

I don't quite follow.

It sounds like you'll be able to use the money here for the next year or so, and then in 2010, you'll have to personally double the total amount and send it someplace else.

1. So, depending on ones level of subscription, will they (at some time) be restricted to certain areas of the site?

2. Will noobs have to create a paid account just to have a question answered?

3. Will this ultimately create a 'gated community' that does not feel welcoming?

No, no, and no. All I'm doing is asking for those who are able and so inclined to lend a bit of green energy.

Hiram's Cunning Plan

I don't quite follow.

It sounds like you'll be able to use the money here for the next year or so, and then in 2010, you'll have to personally double the total amount and send it someplace else.

You are correct, sir.
I think his point is that times are lean now, but are looking very good in the future.

That's exactly my point.

This will not be a difficult feat. A lot of you probably pay higher rent in one month than WS has made in the last year and a half. I know I do. Still, I thought it may be a bit of a perk knowing that your money will serve two causes, WS and then another.

I was thinking of an art scholarship of some sort.

Theater's not art?

I thought Art was some poor sap hangin' on a wall, with no arms, and no legs, who was the victim of a frame-job. :rolleyes:

Naw, you're thinking of those 2 fellows of a similar handicap hanging on the wall next to the window...

Curt 'n Rod. :devil:

To latch on to an earlier open question from Lyrt,

Are the monthly subscriptions automatically renewed (in other words, will it keep deducting the amount from my PayPal account), or will I get a reminder?

Do the gold or platinum memberships come with any sort of shwag?

Example: commemorative Wormwood Society tote bag

Well.....then again, the overhead from making/mailing the trinkets would probably negate the benefit from the fundraiser

It would, considering there aren't enough subscribers to warrant the bulk purchase of anything. You do however get a cool place to hang out and talk about absinthe without having to deal with a bunch of drunk jackasses with delusions of adequacy. That has to be worth something.

Current subscriber stats:

Bronze: 3

Silver: 4

Gold: 2

Plat: 0

Thanks, K-hiddy. ;)

Okay, it's been suggested that some sort of publicly visible recognition might be in order so I've created new sets of "user groups" for subscribing members: Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Diamond (Platinum would be indistinguishable from silver). There are standard and anonymous options. The standard option displays an icon in your profile and changes your member group to reflect your level:

Bronze: bronze.png Silver: silver.png Gold: gold.png Diamond:diamond.png

The only drawback is that with members who are in special groups such as admin, advisory board, moderator, etc., they have a choice of being visible as a subscriber or their actual group, but not both.

All current subscribers (except those who opted in today already) are in the anonymous set because I didn't want to presume to change their status. Anyone who wants to switch should PM me. It's easier than un- and re-subscribing.

We'll also be looking at renaming the "ranks" (lurker, newcomer, member, advanced member, etc.) or possibly doing away with them altogether, since they're really only based on post-count anyway.

And as usual, I'm deeply grateful to all who have generously contributed to WS. Thanks for believing in this mission. :cheers:

Those icons are pretty cool (they look to me like 'rouge', 'blanche', 'verte', and 'steal one of these to afford some pre-ban'). However, as far as ranks go, I'm a big fan of the word 'Absintheur'. I just sounds neat.

I can make you a great deal on Lordship of Chelsea (aka Brewhouse Chelsea). On sale for only £35,000!

Now that has a ring to it, Lord Buddhasynth! :cheers:

At these exchange rates, who can beat that? Do I get to be Baron Marshall

from the Baronies of Fermoy & Athenry, Cork & Galway, of the ancient Kingdom of Ireland(Eire)?

Oh, wait, the Lordship of Toundesley or Black Lands comes with an original 13th century

Knights Templar Dagger with crowned skull on top decorated with gold! Decisions, decisions.