Gwydion Stone

Calling All Math Geeks

(that's MATH, not meth)

If you're a bona fide, horn-rimmed-glasses-wearin', slide-rule-totin', function-fetishist, I need to hear from you asap.

Also, ordinary mortals who are just really, really good at math may apply.

Please PM me. I have an idiotic question.

Probably something like this:

Johnny has 42 pounds of wormwood he wants to sell. Jimmy wants to buy 3/5's, Debbie wants 1/3, and Teresa wants 14%. Debbie doesn't want to pay any more than Teresa, but she doesn't want to pay for any stems larger than 7 mm in diameter. Jimmy doesn't want to pay any more than $23/pound.

How much does each person get, and what do they pay?

You have to figure out the question. :twitchsmile: Come back in 5 million years and I'll give you the answer. :wave2:

Our crack team of accountants and financial consultants are now busily hammering away at the thorny problem of making the offline, printable score sheet work just like the online version, so folks don't have to log in and post a review in order to get a score.

Thanks for playing! :cheers:

I went looking for my copy of "Introduction to Fuzzy Arithmetic" by I couldn't find it. But it's true that you can get 2+2=5, well a probability distribution where it is possible given fuzzy enough values for 2.

That must have been pretty cool. I admit I never got to take a class on it, but I spent a lot of the money I earned at Computer Literacy. :twitchsmile: I got to hang out/work with some Lisp hackers doing cool AI software. I was the lowly C/Modula/Pascal programmer assigned to all the low level multi-machine .com software that they didn't want to do. I was always interested in just things but never got to write the code.

I don't regret that life, but I prefer my artistic endeavors now. :cheers:

Haha don't get me started on Lisp! I find it easier to program assembly then to do something complex in Lisp. I'll stick to my procedural OO languages thank you very much.

I have the opposite story from you:

I always grew up wanting to be an artist, and some how ended up in Computer Science.

(that's MATH, not meth)

If you're a bona fide, horn-rimmed-glasses-wearin', slide-rule-totin', function-fetishist, I need to hear from you asap.

I'm dying to hear the actual problem itself.......not really the specific coding problem (if you are trying to make a web form (???) that executes a function.......I just mean the math problem itself.

You should post it........

Edited by smug simian

That must have been pretty cool. I admit I never got to take a class on it, but I spent a lot of the money I earned at Computer Literacy. :twitchsmile: I got to hang out/work with some Lisp hackers doing cool AI software. I was the lowly C/Modula/Pascal programmer assigned to all the low level multi-machine .com software that they didn't want to do. I was always interested in just things but never got to write the code.

I don't regret that life, but I prefer my artistic endeavors now. :cheers:

Only if you consider a shag rug to be fuzzy.

Ok --- here is a fun one (stop me if I've posted this one before):

You have 100 quarters scattered on the floor. 90 are tails, and 10 are heads. Devise a method to separate the quarters into piles with the same number of heads. You cannot see the quarters, only flip them.

Separate 10 quarters and flip them over. Yes, I cheated and used real quarters.

(that's MATH, not meth)

I'm dying to hear the actual problem itself.......not really the specific coding problem (if you are trying to make a web form (???) that executes a function.......I just mean the math problem itself.

You should post it........

Our crack team of accountants and financial consultants are now busily hammering away at the thorny problem of making the offline, printable score sheet work just like the online version, so folks don't have to log in and post a review in order to get a score.

The opposite of creating a web form: creating a paper sheet that would perform the same function simply. The evaluation sheet used to be just a simple five-star system, but it didn't take into account the % weights written into the code of online feature. This made it awkward for offline evaluation because the scores would be slightly different.

Turns out I solved it myself, but also got a couple other elegant solutions. As I mentioned, it was an idiotic question and the answer was staring me in the face, but not being math-oriented I couldn't get my head to where I could even figure out how to approach the problem. Then I did.