No replies to this topic

#1 Garibaldi

Garibaldi

• Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:39 AM

Here is our family favorite.

Cedar plank smoked Marinated Salmon directions

Make the marinade in a bowl and set aside. You must use ALL fresh herbs in the marinade no dried. It is a night and day difference.

Rinse your salmon fillet with running water and dry with paper towels. Lay the salmon fillet out flat and spoon some of the marinade on top coating it well. Take a large zip lock bag and place half of the remaining marinade in it. Setting this zip lock bag in a bowl will keep it upright so it wonít spill. Roll up the salmon fillet (like a piece of paper, it will only roll up on one side) so that the coated side is on the inside and place it into the zip lock bag, add the reamining marinade, remove the remaining air, seal and place the bowl and all into the refrigerator to marinate for two hours.

Prepare the cedar planks by submerging them in salt water for the two hours that the salmon is marinating. Once the two hours are up remove the planks from the water and allow them to drain naturally while you heat your grill on high. Once the grill is ready to go (usually about 10 to 15 min) place the cedar planks onto the grill and char one side. Once the planks are blackened turn them over, turn the grill down to low to med, and place the salmon on top of the charred surface. Now using your fingers scoop the herbs out of the marinating bag while leaving most of the oil in the bag and rub evenly on top of the salmon. Discard the rest. If more than one plank is used just butt them together to form a larger one. Cook until done, usually when the creamy white proteins start to come out of the bone line down the middle of the fillet but you are the judge on that. You will need some type of water bottle to spray the cedar with when it catches fire but donít spray the salmon or you will lose flavor.

I usually get my cedar planks at Wal-Mart, two in a package for 3 to 4 dollars.

The marinade is from the Barbecue Bible-Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, & Glazes by Steven Raichlen.

I did add the soy sauce to the marinade but you can omit it for the original version. I think it is much better with it.

Salmon Marinade

1/4 CUP fresh lemon juice
1/2 Teaspoon hot pepper flakes
1/2 Teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon coarse salt (Kosher or Sea)
4 Strips of lemon zest
3 Cloves garlic, crushed with the side of a cleaver or minced
1/4 CUP coarsely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 CUP coarsely chopped FRESH basil, cilantro, dill, oregano, or a mix of all four
2 Tablespoons of soy sauce

Combine the lemon juice, hot pepper flakes, cracked pepper, and salt in a nonreactive (glass, ceramic, or stainless steel) bowl and whisk until the salt crystals are dissolved. Add the lemon zest, garlic, parsley, and basil. Stir or whisk in the olive oil.

Attached Files

See my DIY video projector with a 7ft wide screen at the address below!

http://www.lumenlab....?showtopic=2833

Artificial intelligence will never replace human stupidity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association