Sign in to follow this  
bksmithey

Sazerac Rye

I mentioned in this thread that Sam's Wines and Spirits has a Sazerac Rye that they advertise as a special "Sam's Selection" 10 year old. All other references I've seen to Sazerac Rye indicate that it's a 6 year old (obviously not including the special 18 year old bottlings). I sent some email to Sam's asking for more info, the spirits guy there was filled me in with plenty of detail.

The "Sam's Selection" is indeed 10 years old, and a single barrel bottling. The standard 6 year old is done as a small batch. He said that representives from Sam's used to travel down to the distillery to choose their barrels, but more recently the distilleries are sending them samples, and they are choosing their barrel(s) from the samples. He said that they have very little of the Sazerac left; at the time of his email, he said he had 5 bottles left on the shelf (not sure whether that was before or after they pulled the 2 bottles for my order :) ). He indicated that they probably won't get to select another barrel of Sazerac for a while, as Sazerac need it for their small batch production. He also recommended that I try their Eagle Rare barrel #23 bourbon, but by the time I received his reply I had already place my order. But it sounds like they have other Sam's special single barrel bottlings.

Cool and thanks!

I'll look forward to your review. The baby Saz is a favorite everyday kinda Rye and the 18 year old (does that make it an adult?) is great for special occasions.

The people at Buffalo Trace distillery, & Sazerac have an number of interesting things lurking, you can find out more by signing up on their information link.

On the Buffalo Trace site, lower left side of the page.

Buffalo Trace is where Sazerac production is located these days, beautiful distillery.

On Sam's site I'm seeing a "Thomas H Handy Rye" listed at $64.99 for a 750 ml bottle. Everywhere else I see it it's substantially more expensive and I'm thinking this can't possibly be the same thing. There is, of course, no picture of it to help me out.

I can't order from that site here in PA anyway, but I was just curious.

Actually, I picked up this year's Thomas Handy Sazerac Rye at the Eastern Blvd. W&S store in York for just a little over $50. Not sure if this is the SRP or not, but I would bet it's close. Like the Sazerac 18 yr., this rye is marked up wildly online due to its rarity. I don't know if Eastern Blvd. still has it in stock, but if not, they can check other W&S stores in the state and order it directly from them if anybody still has it. Good luck--it's a great rye to have on hand!

Thanks for the info. AiO, much appreciated. I may just have to have them hold me a bottle of it until the Vieux Carre hits the shelves, then pick them up in one fell swoop.

Yup, not only are the guys at BT doing wonderful things with (good) booze, but they are going WELL above the norm in doing personlized releases and special offerings for various bars and collectors.

Well done, Buffalo Trace! You guys, and your products, are simply top notch!

I didn't know Buffalo Trace and Sazerac were in cahoots. That is so cool as the former is my favorite whiskey and the latter my favorite rye.

The previous site had almost no information, I'm glad to see they mentioned some of their old products that helped build the company.

They know how to make some decent stuff, and are willing to listen about improving things.