Sign in to follow this  
Wren

Shipping absinthe to Pennsylvania?

It could be a while as I wait for my NY permit, but I'd be willing to try to get my product into the PA system if you folks are interested. Even if I had to personally deliver some cases to the state facility, I could probably do that. Just something to think about.

That's assuming that the result is a few steps above vile swill, and worth your interest.

Interested? I would be ecstatic. Your product is one of the one's I'm looking forward to the most, along with the Vieux and Pacifique. I already know the Marteau & N-O are good.

I have complete confidence in your skills.

Well that sounds like a pretty good line-up of absinthes to me. Thanks for the support.

I'll definitely look into the PA system and see what I can find out. I suspect I won't be able to do anything until I have NY approval, and maybe not until label approval, but if I'm lucky I will have figured out the PA Liquor Authority maze. :twitchsmile:

Interested? I would be ecstatic.

Seconded! I'd be thrilled to broaden the absinthe offerings in PA in the right direction. Best of luck with the NY approval and with the PLCB. I'll be checking the shelves...

Well I made my rounds today. I was received very well in the Loucks Rd. store and especially the White St. store. The lady there was really receptive. At the Eastern Blvd. store the guy was kind of busy, but wasn't rude. I saw the Kübler & Lucid on the shelves like AiO said, and just Lucid at the White St. store. They didn't have any at the Loucks Rd. store but said they would be getting some. Unlike my past encounters the people knew what I was talking about. They didn't look at me with a blank stare or point me to the Absente and say "there, see, we have it". I guess word is getting out.

A strange thing happened. When I walked into the Loucks Rd. store the guy acted like he knew I was coming. He said, "Absinthe right, I know all about it". Then said people from the White St. store called him wondering where I was. I guess somebody else was on the same mission today, possibly a rep from some brand was supposed to meet with them. I explained that it was a coincidence and I was doing this on my own. So it looks like I'm not the only one around here trying to get this ball rolling, which is encouraging.

I assured the lady at the White St. store that if she got some of those good brands on the shelves that me and a few other people would take them off their hands for them. She was very pleased to get the information and I have a feeling she was genuine when she said she'd look into it.

I feel I've done my absinthe deed for the day. Now comes the hard part... waiting.

Well done, Tally Ho! I think I speak for all local absintheurs when I offer thanks for your industrious efforts on behalf of the green fairy. Interesting (and heartening!) that the employees at these stores all knew what you were talking about. Maybe we're finally reaching a tipping point in general awareness about and interest in absinthe in the US? After all, if it's happening in York, PA...

Although I still do get a lot of those blank stares you mention.

I was also at the White St. store yesterday picking up a couple of bottles of wine for the weekend and chatted briefly with the same gal (I think) about absinthe; she seemed to be very aware of the situation and happy to have the feedback. Sounds like you had already primed the pump. Sorry to have missed the opportunity to meet you!

I do think that, as York's "premium" store, the Eastern Blvd location is the one most likely to carry other (better) brands of absinthe, but that doesn't mean we should discount the other places--especially when they're so receptive.

Thanks again for making the rounds! :cheers:

It's great to hear that there are other devotees in the area; we should get everyone together for a Green Hour at some point...

My door is open, lets get one going. It would be nice to do it before it gets too much colder for a little time on the deck. Google map Bramblewood Lane and you'll see where I'm at.

:cheers:

Found Kübler and Lucid in Camp Hill finally. Also

right next to them was St. Germain. It's ony been a

week since I was there and they have dozens of new

things.... The Kübler is in a totally different bottle, it's a very light

green with a seal molded in the glass.

Fuckin A, made my first Absinthe Purchase in PA!!!!

So another drop of (potentially) good news for absinthe devotees living in PA (or at least for me, Tally, Butch, and others living in South Central):

I dropped by the "premium" W&S store on Eastern Blvd in York this morning and took a look at the absinthe shelf in the cordials section, as is my wont. There I saw the usual Lucid and Kübler (which seems to have been selling briskly these last few weeks, as there was only one bottle left)... and low and behold... a bare spot on the shelf with a little label under it reading: Vieux Carre Absinthe ($54.99)!

I asked the owner when he expected a shipment of the stuff and he couldn't tell me (might be a week, might be a month), but took my name and promised to call when it came in.

Celebrations might be a little premature, since it's still an open question whether the stuff will be any good or not. The only info I've been able to gather is that it's being put out by Philadelphia Distilling, the makers of Bluecoat gin. Nothing up at the official site yet. Regardless, though, adding another absinthe--whatever the quality--to the PLCB's lineup strikes me as being a good thing, as long as it opens the door a little wider for other truly good absinthes from the States and overseas to sneak in.

Got an extra spring in my step this morning! :cheers:

Our local W&S store in Oreland only stocks Pernod aux Plantes d'Absinthe Superieure. :angry2:

Recent purchases from LDF have arrived safely, but I am just waiting for a S.W.A.T. team to descend upon me at some point and confiscate my cache of absinthe.

Rise, zombie thread, rise!

So, I've done a bit of research on getting absinthe in PA and wanted to add some updated info to this thread, in case there are other PA residents who might benefit from it.

First off, the Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board website is a good resource. If you search for 'absinthe' you will bring up a list of all the absinthes available either in-store or via special order. Click on 'Consumers" and then 'Product Search' to get to the search page.

Brick-and-mortar stores carry Grande Absente, Lucid and Vieux Carré, though not every store carries each. In the list of absinthe that comes up in your search results, you'll see that the Code for each of these three is actually a link, and it will take you to a store search for that particular product. In this way I've discovered a place 5 minutes away that has Lucid, and two shops 15 minutes away with VC.

Additionally, you can special order a number of other brands. The ones that I would make note of are: Brevans HR Giger, Butterfly and La Clandestine. The PLCB only requires a one bottle minimum on ordering any of those three, so you don't have to order 6 bottles or a case or something - they can do a one-bottle order.

Lastly, if you choose to go through mail-order outside of the PLCB but still within the U.S., DUNY no longer ships to PA but Astor Wines still does. I'm not going to cover the international stuff here, as that's not really particular to PA and has been covered elsewhere in many other threads and posts.

That's news to me. *commence frantic search for information*

Ok, from the website (I'm sure you've read it already, but for others):

Pot-distilled from local, organic wheat, this absinthe was infused with organic wormwood, fennel, mint, orange peel, and star anise and then re-distilled. When mixed with chilled water, the Swiss-style absinthe will properly louche (pronounced “loosh”) and release a wonderful bouquet of herbs and citrus. Bottled at 124.1 proof, this one will warm your senses in this chilly weather.

Seems traditionally-made, and its a blanche, but the inclusion of star anise troubles me - I hope it's not too heavy on the anise. Still, apparently they are able to ship directly to residents of PA as well as of D.C. I think I will definitely have to order a bottle and try it.

Have you tried it, Defiant? Apparently they just released it in mid-December of last year.

EDIT: They also distill genever and at least 4 kinds of rye whiskey, that I saw. I'm in love.

Edited by belewfripp

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll be visiting Pittsburgh in a few weeks and plan to pick up a bottle. It won a bronze medal in the American Carft Spirit Association competition this year . . .

I actually placed an order yesterday, so since it's coming FedEx and in-state, hopefully it arrives soon. I'm not going to be able to make a drive down to Pittsburgh anytime soon, but it looks like they host a lot of interesting events, so I may round up some buddies and head that way sometime this summer.

Once I get mine and have a chance to try it out, I'll post some thoughts in the Brand Discussion section of the forum. Maybe we can also get the site powers-that-be to create a review page for it? I didn't see one on in the Reviews part of the site yet.

Edited by belewfripp

Is that a good, bad or unimportant? After you posted that, I went and checked some ABVs and saw that many blanche absinthes are more in the 110 proof area.