• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 06:47 PM

I left a message at the Delmano a week ago, and no one's called back. They're so exhausted by their own hipness that they haven't strength enough to talk.

Off-topic....
My favorite map of Manhattan shows streets and subway stops, and is laminated against spills and April showers:
Streetwise Manhattan
Pick one up at Barnes & Noble. A good street map will come in handy ― especially below 14th Street.

Ha! I got a good chuckle from that line, but that's crappy they haven't rung you back.

I love that map! It is a lifeline, and supplies hours of enjoyment for map geeks like myself.

Edited by scuto, 05 April 2009 - 06:52 PM.

"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#32 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:43 PM

Very funny indeed! Very crappy too, but all that hipness takes a toll on a person, I'm told. Map geeks, being in GIS automatically makes you one I think. ;)
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#33 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:59 PM

I will have to pick your brain about GIS, mister. :wave2:
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

#34 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

I had to look up "GIS." That's some rarefied, brainy stuff right there.

That a forum not specifically devoted to GIS could boast two GIS fans (GISmen? GISters?) is nothing short of astonishing.

#35 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

I will have to pick your brain about GIS, mister. :wave2:

Looking forward to it. Since I'm the Planning Director I haven't done much with it for the last few years, because we've got 3 other people that do nothing but all day. But I know my ESRI, and someone's got to tell them that dot density maps don't work all the time.

GIS folks are sneaky like that, Brooks. ;)
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#36 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

That a forum not specifically devoted to GIS could boast two GIS fans (GISmen? GISters?) is nothing short of astonishing.

My brain-picking of speedle will be rudimentary at best. I admit to knowing near-nothing about GIS, except that I might look into it as another career option at some point. Reading the atlas for bathroom reading at a young age just might prove useful!

But I know my ESRI, and someone's got to tell them that dot density maps don't work all the time.

I'm going to write these things down and look them up. Gotta start somewhere! And may as well have a map. >groan<

#37 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:03 PM

Very funny indeed! Very crappy too, but all that hipness takes a toll on a person, I'm told. Map geeks, being in GIS automatically makes you one I think. ;)

Hm. What do you do with GIS?

My Dad worked for the Department of Interior, and was in charge of implementing one of the first as well as the largest: ALMRS. The Automated Land and Minerals Records System.
Does this ring a bell?

#38 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Well, it rings a bell insofar as I've heard of the Department of the Interior because, more specifically, I work mostly with the Bureau of Indian Affairs portion of Interior. And, as such, they use the ALMRS mostly to keep track of Indian land claims and the like. Though we don't. But that's cool that your dad did that!

What I do that relates to GIS is, well, almost everything I do relates to GIS. As a planner, I and my department are responsible for the land, transportation facility, and capital improvement/purchase planning for the Tribe, and that takes maps, lots and lots of maps. Our GIS Department works with other departments as well, mostly our Natural Resources folks, and the Environmental folks too.

I love what I do, it's a blast, and every day is a challenge one way or another!
- cogito ergo louche

#39 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

Damn, I'm *really* in the wrong line of work.

#40 leopold

leopold

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Well, it rings a bell insofar as I've heard of the Department of the Interior because, more specifically, I work mostly with the Bureau of Indian Affairs portion of Interior. And, as such, they use the ALMRS mostly to keep track of Indian land claims and the like. Though we don't. But that's cool that your dad did that!

It was a neat, neat project. I guess the main idea is to get info. on all Federal land and what is on (flora, fauna) and under (minerals, water, oil) it.....put it in a database that any citizen can access at any DOI office in the country. Pretty neat. I think he started work on it in 1979. Can you imagine managing all those resources, and giving our permits to mine/drill/whatever when all you have is a bunch of maps that aren't cross-referenced? What a mess.

Sounds like you have a fun job!

#41 Hunnibunni

Hunnibunni

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Hello! :thumbup:

Just wanted to add that if you are looking for a bottle of Kübler- the litre bottle is $70 at Pasanella & Son Vitners on South Street between Peck Slip & Beekman

:cheers:
la Fée Verte ~ I am a fan.

#42 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 10:50 AM

Maison Premiere is a recently-opened absinthe/oyster bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

Posted Image

The absinthe menu looks right nice. (See "Menus," bottom of page.)

The fountain, built over a four-month period, is a working marble replica of a fountain at the Old Absinthe House in New Orleans. :)

Maison Premiere
298 Bedford Ave (between Grand & 1st St.)
Brooklyn, NY 11211
http://maisonpremiere.com/

#43 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,588 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

Sweet, thanks, Brooks!

Yet another attraction that almost has me nostalgic for the Big Apple.

Great to "see" you, as always! :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#44 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

Yet another attraction that almost has me nostalgic for the Big Apple.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that the operative word is "almost." Amirite? :cheers:

Happy to see you too, Abs.

#45 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:32 PM

The fountain, built over a four-month period, is a working marble replica of a fountain at the Old Absinthe House in New Orleans. :)

Sex grease! :yahoo: I know where I'm going if I'm ever in that town again.

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#46 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:31 PM

Did you really say "sex grease"???

Posted Image

Sakes alive....young people today.

The original fountains at the Old Absinthe House haven't dripped water since long before I was born, so I'm kinda looking forward to seeing the new fountain in action. (The original fountains were moved and hidden during Prohibition, and I don't know that they ever functioned as working fountains again.)

Another cool thing: The brass Napoleon atop the new fountain is by the same sculptor that made the figures atop the old fountains in New Orleans. Props to the guys at Maison Premiere for tracking down that nice bit of continuity!

Posted Image

#47 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Brooks, it's always a treat to see you on here and you bring the coolest stuff.

You should build a book!

Until next time we meet, :cheers:
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#48 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,588 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and guess that the operative word is "almost." Amirite? :cheers:

Always. B)

#49 Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Zman (Marc Bernhard)

Really Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

And Maison Premiere has Pacifique on the menu! :cheers:

If you don't like anise at all, you're not likely to care for any decent absinthe, as absinthe is an anise flavored drink. It's kind of like asking if there are any good beers that don't taste like hops or malt.----Hiram

Marc Bernhard, owner and Master Distiller of Pacific Distillery LLC
Maker of Pacifique Absinthe and Voyager Single Batch Distilled Gin
Woodinville, WA, USA
www.pacificdistillery.com

#50 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 06:30 PM

When I saw Pacifique and Delaware Phoenix on the menu I thought, hey! The gang at Maison Premiere did their homework.

I have to admit that I don't recognize some of the newer absinthes. What do y'all think? They can't all be ace, but are there any clunkers in the bunch?

Hi, Bill! Sure hope to see you 'afore ol' rockin' chair gits me. Give Precious my best. :cheers:

#51 baubel

baubel

Hued-pottymouth

• 7,716 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:40 PM

Did you really say "sex grease"???

Posted Image

Sakes alive....young people today.

I've been known to say it on rare occasions when I get excited.

The original fountains at the Old Absinthe House haven't dripped water since long before I was born, so I'm kinda looking forward to seeing the new fountain in action. (The original fountains were moved and hidden during Prohibition, and I don't know that they ever functioned as working fountains again.)

And that's exactly why I ejaculated it in the first place, so I might as well again, this time with the power of capital G: Sex Grease!
:thumbup:

A little technological fix to a spiritual problem.

#52 Rimbaud12

Rimbaud12

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hello! :thumbup:

Just wanted to add that if you are looking for a bottle of Kübler- the litre bottle is $70 at Pasanella & Son Vitners on South Street between Peck Slip & Beekman

:cheers:

If you are in NYC looking for a store to pick up some bottles, make sure you head to Astor Wines and Spirits. Kübler there is 50$ for the 1L. They also have an entire section labeled "Absinthe," with many brands on the market. I head there at least once a month for wine or booze of some kind. I could answer any questions regarding what they have in stock. I know off the top of my head that they have a Jade at 114$, Vieux Pontarlier, Vieux Carrer, La Clandestine, Tennyson, Germain Robin, Duplais, Pacifique, Lucid (meh), Mansinthe, and a few others. Look at the top two shelves, as the bottom few are for Sambucca, and Jagger. Back right corner of the store! Sometimes they have great sales going on. I think right now the Pacifique was on sale for 55$ I believe :cheers: .

#53 crow

crow

There's a fly in my potatoes.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

Astor Wines also has St. George, Walton Walters, and Meadow of Love, all at great prices. I paid $59 for St. George there; uptown it was $75.

I couldn't believe my eyes: a whole section dedicated for absinthe. A big sign and everything. Heaven.

Edited by crow, 14 December 2011 - 04:15 AM.

"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#54 greenbird

greenbird

Newcomer

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

That's a nice brass Napoleon, but it's not short enough. `A Napole'on, ce con de nain!
Some tastes grow from desire, some from disrepute and some still from boredom, ad infinitum.

#55 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

An old high school friend owns the William Barnacle Tavern at 80 St. Mark's Place in the East Village. When I first went there last fall the best absinthe he had was Lucid, but now he boasts 17 different brands: Duplais Verte, La Clandestine, St. George, Mata Hari, Vieux Carre, La Fee, Tenneyson, Edward III, Mythe, Van Gogh, Ordinaire, P. Roux Absinthe Supreme, Pernod, Lucid, Grand Absente, and Kübler.

It is a straight-up bar, no fancy decor, but his father bought it years ago from an actual gangster and if you ask, my friend Lorcan might take you on a tour of the basement where you can see evidence of the bar's prohibition days.

Lorcan and his wife are Quakers. I get a kick out of the fact that they run an old gangster bar. They also own Theater 80 and a mini museum of American gangster artifacts, right next door.

Irish music every Monday night.

Edited by crow, 30 April 2012 - 04:05 PM.

"Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!" ("A life lived in fear is a life half lived.") --Frangipani della Squeegeemop

#56 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

Good tip, Crow. I visited on Wednesday morning, so missed the "crowd," but enjoyed meeting Lorcan and getting the tour.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#57 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,588 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

When I first went there last fall the best absinthe he had was Lucid, but now he boasts 17 different brands: Duplais Verte, La Clandestine, St. George, Mata Hari, Vieux Carre, La Fee, Tenneyson, Edward III, Mythe, Van Gogh, Ordinaire, P. Roux Absinthe Supreme, Pernod, Lucid, Grand Absente, and Kübler.

Seventeen absinthes is, admittedly, an impressive number, but (other than the Duplais, and La Clandestine), "boast" is hardly an appropriate word to use when one considers that particular selection.

#58 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:09 PM

They also carry NO, Pacifique, and Vieux Pontarlier.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#59 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,588 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Much more betterer. :thumbup:

#60 crow

crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

When I first went there last fall the best absinthe he had was Lucid, but now he boasts 17 different brands: Duplais Verte, La Clandestine, St. George, Mata Hari, Vieux Carre, La Fee, Tenneyson, Edward III, Mythe, Van Gogh, Ordinaire, P. Roux Absinthe Supreme, Pernod, Lucid, Grand Absente, and Kübler.

Seventeen absinthes is, admittedly, an impressive number, but (other than the Duplais, and La Clandestine), "boast" is hardly an appropriate word to use when one considers that particular selection.

I agree with you but he was so proud... what can I say? "Dude, your collection sucks elephant dong."?

Alan, I'm glad you got the tour. Great little piece of history down there, isn't it?

Edited by crow, 18 May 2012 - 07:42 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association