• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 03:55 PM

Warehouse Wines & Spirits at 735 Broadway (just near 8th St station) stocks: Kübler, Lucid, St. George, Grand Absente (the new French one) and Le Tourment (for brushing your teeth with).

Yes, an Aussie has to travel to New York to find this out. ;)

#2 elfnmagik

elfnmagik

Mumbler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,302 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:07 AM

I saw a bottle of Grand in the store down in Myrtle Beach this past weekend.

Passed.
"I really like depriving myself of things. It's fun! Very monastic." - Kosmo

#3 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

White Star (mentioned in the recent Obsello press release)

21 Essex St., New York, NY 10002

Lower East Side, between Hester and Canal St.

NY mag write-up.

I'd be curious to hear folks' thoughts! Next time I'm there, I hope to see how it is.
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

"I've an absinthe factory in my head" (jcbphd, 2009). [Liberties taken. -ed.]

#4 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 03:44 PM

I'm going to be hitting the Big Apple next weekend--any other recommendations for bars serving absinthe besides White Star?
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#5 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

Someone on this here board gave me a list of bars that likely serve absinthe, though primarily in cocktails. You could probably ask for and receive a carafe of ice water. The fella's name is Brooks (where are you??! I/we miss you!) and here is a list: Pegu Club, Flatiron Lounge, Little Branch, Temple Bar, Angel Share, Bemelmans Bar, Campbell Apartment, PDT, Death & Co.

If White Star were open when I last visited, I would have gone there in a second!
"The Saint when he is drinking/Is also pleasing God/As if he were praying and singing." - Angelus Silesius, quoted in Simmel's On Individuality and Social Forms, p.391. (Yay for classical sociology!)

"Full bottle in front of me/Time to roll up my sleeves and get to work/And after many glasses of work/I get paid in the brain" - They Might Be Giants "Your Own Worst Enemy."

#6 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:23 PM

Many thanks! :cheers:

Looks like I have my work cut out for me... :twitchsmile:
"Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot" -- Charlie Chaplin

#7 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:35 PM

You're welcome, and we both thank Brooks for compiling the list.

Heheh, don't let "work" get in the way of fun! (What?)

#8 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

Temple Bar is a great bar. It's not too expensive, you can almost always find a place to sit and drink quietly with friends, and my favorite part: it's the kind of bar you can ask the bartender what he recommends and he comes back with genuine recommendations. The night I went, the bartender came back with, "There's a drink I've been tinkering with." It was called the Au pair and it was delicious. Any bar where the bartender actively tinkers with new drink ideas is alright in my book.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#9 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:33 PM

:cheers: Next time I'm there, I'm there!

#10 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

Sounds very promising--do they serve absinthe as well?

#11 Martin Lake

Martin Lake

The Great Lover of Mankind

• 2,163 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

I don't know. I didn't see it on the menu, but it couldn't hurt to ask. If they do, I bet you could get an excellent sazerac there.
Ah, la petite mort; such beautiful suicide.

#12 C-Los

C-Los

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:03 PM

places that serve absinthe in nyc that i like...

vintage irving- union square

-a little pricy but very elegant bar with a cool staff, they serve lucid ($15) and three other absinthes less pricy, lucid being the most expensive. they do Death in the afternoon (with a sugarcube in it-it was delicious) and a few other cocktails...and they have fountains.

White star- awesome feel. fountains. some real absinthe, some not.

apotheke- doyers st.
expensive but in the middle of nowhere chinatown, crazy looking bar and crazy looking menu...awesome drinks...the mata hari cocktail was great. it makes absinthe NOT feel like a loner as a cool drink, since they make everything from scratch and infuse things with a multitude of herbs to create effects that range from stimulants to euphoric enhancers $15 all drinks and they have there 200 year old absinthe recipe which is $35 pperson, a 30 minute prep time, and they only give it in a shot (even tho that pissed me off since they had a bunch of fountains everywhere)... no cocktails no exceptions. there a "medical bar"...so don't ask for a vodka cranberry.

#13 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

they have there 200 year old absinthe recipe which is $35 pperson, a 30 minute prep time, and they only give it in a shot

Sorry. Their recipe aint absinthe. ;)
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#14 pierreverte

pierreverte

Liquoristorian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

agreed...

Attached Files

Absinthe is always greener in the other glass.™

#15 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 07:16 PM

That picture always makes me angry.

And what Brian said--it's steepsinth, in other words false.

#16 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:55 AM

apotheke- doyers st.

My grandmother always taught me that if I can't say anything nice, I shouldn't say anything at all...

Dammit! I did it again!

Oh well, now it's out there; here comes the angry me.

Apotheke is a gimmicky, trendy, poseur-trap. The wormwood tincture he makes isn't absinthe any more than batter is cake. What kind of moron fills an absinthe fountain with absinthe and then does a pyro show right in front of it and sets the bartop on fire?

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#17 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,172 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:07 AM

A snake oil salesman that charges $15 a drink to make you think you are living on the edge.

Or a potential Darwin Award nominee.

His insurance company or the guy himself, needs to review his policy.

I'd go to watch but I'd sit near the exit. *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#18 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:44 AM

These pics (snatched from the web) are of a bar in Williamsburg, Brooklyn called the Hotel Delmano:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I haven't been, but it looks beautiful, doesn't it? Weekday afternoons are apparently the time to go. The bar can be scenester/hipster hell on weekends, according to some sources — especially at night.

In addition to see-saw brouilleurs, the bar has a four-spigot fountain.

Hotel Delmano (a "hotel" in name only) is a quick ride from 14th Street in Manhattan on the "L" train. Get off at Bedford Avenue — the first stop in Brooklyn. The bar is just a few blocks from the subway.

Hotel Delmano
82 Berry Street (between 8th & 9th Streets — entrance on 9th)
Brooklyn, NY 11211
718-387-1945

#19 AiO

AiO

Movie Freak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:25 PM

Looks fantastic, Brooks! Any idea what brands of absinthe they serve?

#20 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:36 PM

Was wondering that myself. When I find out, I'll be sure to report back!

#21 Absomphe

Absomphe

Krinkles the Clown™

• 18,547 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

I haven't been, but it looks beautiful, doesn't it?

You are the Master of Understatement, Brooks. :cheers:

Yes, I'm Krinkles the Clown on an absinthe a beer bender.

You got a problem with that?

#22 Alan Moss

Alan Moss

absinthe-suisse.com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Looks fantastic, Brooks! Any idea what brands of absinthe they serve?

Definitely La Clandestine. I don't know of any others.
www.laclandestine.com: Hand-crafted in the birthplace of absinthe.

#23 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

I'm guessing at least one more, since the bottom pic shows them louching up a verte.

I put a call in this evening. When I hear back, I'll post the list.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#24 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Wow, thanks Brooks and all subsequent information-givers!

And I'm glad there's a time one can go and avoid the hipsters. Mostly.

#25 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

When I phoned this afternoon to ask about absinthes, I got a recording, which makes me wonder if the bar has shortened its hours. (It's also possible that I misunderstood a comment on Yelp, and that it's always been an evening bar.)

I left a message. Hopefully they'll call back.

I put a call in this evening. When I hear back, I'll post the list.

"Man, this is so weird....two guys phoned to ask about our absinthe stock today. WTF's goin' on?"

And I'm glad there's a time one can go and avoid the hipsters. Mostly.

There's no avoiding hipsters in Williamsburg! B) But Monday through Wednesday is probably "Hipster Lite" compared to weekends.

#26 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:52 PM

There's no avoiding hipsters in Williamsburg! B)

Indeed! Would that flame throwers were legal for me to foist upon those with both denim-on-denim and hairstylist-coiffed bed-head in their native habitat.

But Monday through Wednesday is probably "Hipster Lite" compared to weekends.

Hmm, sounds like a good place to go the day before the DUNY event. :cheers:

#27 Absinthe Ben

Absinthe Ben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 11:20 PM

Any long term stays available in this "hotel"? :devil:
At least it's not Le Tourment Vert...

15 minutes of reading could save you $50 or more on shit absinthe:

www.absinthe-review.net

#28 speedle

speedle

Peanut Gallery owner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:11 AM

Yes, I'm seeing a good reason to get to NY earlier on Wednesday!

(edit)
Makes me want to wear a beret, although that'd be too recent historically and besides nobody in Paris actually wears a beret, but still. Or maybe I just expect to find Verlaine sitting there in back, who knows.

(edit again)
Sorry to rattle on about this place, but just do a search on Flickr for hotel delmano and absinthe, and you'll be mezmerized (apologies to Mr. Mezmer). I even have a hangover, and still can't wait to see this place!
- cogito ergo louche

“I lost some time once. It's always in the last place you look for it.” - Neil Gaiman

#29 scuto

scuto

Taste sensation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,908 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:27 AM

I'm going to wait and see what their accommodations/offerings are before booking any long-term stays. :twitchsmile:

Ooo, I'm liking this Hotel the more I see!

#30 Brooks

Brooks

Bo-nana Fana Fo-Frooks

• 2,484 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

I left a message at the Delmano a week ago, and no one's called back. They're so exhausted by their own hipness that they haven't strength enough to talk.

Off-topic....

My favorite map of Manhattan shows streets and subway stops, and is laminated against spills and April showers:

Streetwise Manhattan

Pick one up at Barnes & Noble. A good street map will come in handy ― especially below 14th Street.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association