Brian Robinson

A new round of bans?

Liquor ban after teen's near death

Only a matter of time before someone dies - police

By SONIA GERKEN - The Southland Times | Saturday, 30 August 2008

OFF THE SHELF: Liquorland manager Glenn Dickson removes absinthe from his shop after two teens, one near death, were admitted to hospital when they collapsed after drinking the potent liqour.

A Southland teenager's near-death experience after drinking Absinthe has prompted authorities to ban sales of the potent liqueur.

Marc Hansen stopped breathing three times before he was put on life support after drinking shots of 89.9 percent proof Absinthe on August 2.

Another Gore teenager ended up in hospital last weekend, also after drinking Absinthe shots.

The Mataura Licensing Trust board this week voted unanimously to stop selling the liqueur.

The Invercargill Licensing Trust has also removed it from public sale.

Invercargill police liquor licensing head Sergeant John Harris said police were aware young people were buying Absinthe for shots.

It was only a matter of time before someone died, he said.

Marc said he took responsibility for his decision to drink Absinthe.

He wanted to make people aware of the dangers and avoid what he went through.

It had started like any other Saturday, the 17-year-old having a few beers at rugby before going to a party.

This time though he was offered some Absinthe and collapsed after only a few shots.

His mother Monica said he was lucky someone at the party checked his pupils and called an ambulance.

"We, as parents, had to watch him die twice in the ambulance and once at (Southland) Hospital before he was put on life support."

Mrs Hansen paid tribute to the St John Ambulance staff and medical and nursing personnel at Gore and Southland hospital who had been "brilliant".

Mr Harris said Marc's decision to share his story was gutsy.

The police raid squad boss hoped Absinthe would be banned throughout Southland, if not the whole country.

New Zealand already had a huge problem with alcohol abuse without allowing something as potent as Absinthe to be sold, Mr Harris said.

Absinthe is banned in some countries and has long been known to have an hallucinogenic-type effect on some people.

Invercargill Licensing Trust general manager Greg Mulvey said the trust stocked Absinthe only for the licensed trade but it had been put back on the shelf at Centrepoint during the past few months.

"As soon as it was brought to our attention we have removed it," he said.

Mataura Licensing Trust general manager John Wyeth said Absinthe had been on the shelf for about two years. Only three dozen bottles have been sold.

"It's the most horrid tasting drink you could imagine."

The trust would supply Absinthe but only by special request, Mr Wyeth said.

In Queenstown, Absinthe shots were less popular than they had been about five years ago, although a St John Wakatipu spokesman said a man in his 20's was admitted to Lakes District Hospital several months ago after drinking half a bottle of Aminsthe.

However, Surreal Restaurant and bar owner Mel Knox said she chose not to stock it, because she had seen the downside of its effects while working in Spain about 15 years ago.

"It was sometimes like people were on acid or something, it changed their personality really quickly and then others (drank it) and were fine," Ms Knox said.

One Queenstown bottle store manager said they only mainly sold it to older tourists who could not buy it in their home countries.

Um...

she had seen the downside of its effects while working in Spain about 15 years ago.

"It was sometimes like people were on acid or something, it changed their personality really quickly and then others (drank it) and were fine," Ms Knox said.

She's full of shit. In all my time living in Spain, I never saw anyone acting any more odd while drinking absinthe as when they were drinking anything else. She just wanted to get quoted.

It appears as though the Czech industry (which is all NZ seems to stock) has hurt the same industry it helped to revitalize. Not only are they making 90% assbinth, but they also taste like shit and even the liquor store owners know it!

I think Scotland may have bigger problems.

6. Young People and Alcohol

a. Not only are more children in Scotland drinking, they are drinking more.

The proportion of pupils aged 12-15 who had had an alcoholic drink in the previous week has risen in the last decade from 14% in 1990 to 21% in 2000. The average weekly consumption of those who had drunk in the last seven days has increased from 8.4 units to 11.1 units.

b. 4 out of 10 children aged 15 had had a drink in the last week. The likelihood of weekly drinking increases sharply with age. Only 6% of those aged 12 had had a drink in the past week compared with 39% of 15 year olds. This latter age group has shown the greatest change in the proportion drinking over the decade with an increase from 28% to 39%.

c. More young girls are drinking at least once a week. In 1990, boys were more likely than girls to have had a drink the previous week (16% compared with 12%). However, by 2000, this gap had virtually closed (21% compared with 20%).

d. Boys drink more than girls. Boys aged 12-15 have a higher mean weekly consumption than girls (12.8 units compared with 9.3 units).

e. Children who drink frequently are more likely to report drug use. Amongst children aged 12-15, drug use was related to drinking frequency. 39% of those who drank at least once a week had used drugs in the last month, compared with only 1% of those who had never had a drink.

[boreman, R., Shaw, A. (eds) Smoking, drinking and drug use among young people in Scotland, NCSR/NFER 2001].

f. Young people age 16-24 in Scotland are drinking more. Average weekly consumption in young people age 16-24 has risen from 1995 to 1998 for both sexes (20.8 to 23.4 units for men and 8.4 to 10.0 units for women).

g. Young people are the most likely age group to exceed weekly recommended limits. The proportion of young people age 16-24 exceeding weekly limits has increased from 37% to 43% for men and from 18% to 24% for women.

h. Two out of three young men and one out of two young women drank more than twice the recommended daily benchmarks. 62% of men and 49% of women age 16-24 drank more than recommended daily benchmarks (i.e. >6 units for women and >8 units for men) on their heaviest drinking day.

[scottish Health Survey 1998]

i. The commonest place of purchase of alcohol by children in Scotland (aged 12-15) was the off-licence, mentioned by 16% of drinkers, followed by a shop or supermarket (14%). One in five (11%) of children aged 12-15 are buying alcohol directly from a friend or relative. [boreman, R., Shaw, A. (eds) Smoking, drinking and drug use among young people in Scotland, NCSR/NFER 2001].

j. In 2000, there were 1,428 emergency admissions of young people aged 10-19 with a diagnosis of acute intoxication. Admissions were highest (1,036) in the 15-19 year age group (see Graph 4).

Source: Statistics on Alcohol in Scotland

I'm reminded of that conversation from "Train Spotting", wherein the British are called wankers, but the Scottish are called the "lowest of the low" because they were colonized by wankers.

The boy lived. The parents were pissed and the stores pulled it, except for tourists.

What a bunch of horse shit. :thumbdown:

We can only do so much. The 17 year old was obviously the valedictorian of his school. dumbass!

I may have mis-spelled some of this but I don't drink shots of 89.9% hooch. dumbass!

Anyone care to join me, I'm doing Drain-o shots tonight? dumbass!

Of course- because it’s not like people have free will or anything. Had he drunk rubbing alcohol they’d have pulled it from stores. It is always something… someone… screwing it up. Ruin it for the 99.99% of the rest of us who are responsible. :nono:

American youth drink themselves to death in alarming numbers. Usually a part of hazing or "drinking games" and they're not drinking Absinthe.

I despise the double standard of "Drugs and alcohol" as if alcohol isn't a drug-or somehow less dangerous. Abused, it can have the same lethal consequences as any other recreational drug. Between 1999 and 05 - 157 college students died from alcohol poisoning.

To blame Absinthe, to pull it from shelves, to ban it - is nothing more than a witch hunt. It's socially and morally irresponsible.

msnbc

One practice — drinking 21 shots on a 21st birthday — has proven especially lethal. Of the college-age deaths that made news, 11 people, including eight college students, died while celebrating their 21st birthdays.

People are getting weaker century by century. Social darwinism in the most unthinkable way is taking its toll. Sad id est. O tempora, o mores!

A Southland teenager's near-death experience after drinking Absinthe

Don't let's promote the concept of near-death experiences too much: I can see some crazy people liking the idea. It made for an interesting film a few years back.

And this July, in Ireland...

A FATHER-of-two killed his girlfriend and left her brother fighting for his life in a frenzied knife attack fuelled by the same "poison" that drove people insane in Paris in the 19th Century.

Kevin Prendergast (31), of Knockeen, Grange, Co Tipperary, was jailed for life by the Central Criminal Court. Mr Justice Paul Carney was told that the defendant’s only regret is that he didn’t kill himself in the seconds after stabbing Joanne Mangan and her brother, Edmond, last year.

Poignantly, Joanne Mangan’s last words were to call out her killer’s name.

The court heard that the frenzied stab injuries were such that they might have been inflicted by “a lunatic”.

Prendergast’s defence counsel, Brendan Nix SC, warned that the tragic case was “a salutary lesson” about the dangers of binge drinking and alcohol-drug cocktails, including the drink Absinthe.

Mr Nix warned that Ireland already has enough problems with binge drinking and drug abuse without the re-emergence of Absinthe which became notorious in France and Europe in the 19th Century for literally driving addicts insane.

<sigh> Where's my soap box?

Oh well, cars, motorcycles, swimming pools and the list goes on, are all killers.

Pretty soon they'll ban the sale of sugar.

I think they did in the 1920's or 1930's. Hmmm!

A Southland teenager's near-death experience after drinking Absinthe

Don't let's promote the concept of near-death experiences too much: I can see some crazy people liking the idea. It made for an interesting film a few years back.

Alan, that link is broken. It says "an interesting film", but when you click on it, it goes to a listing for "Flatliners".

What more can I add to what has already been said? Oh, I know.

Free will and personal choice count for nothing anymore. It is always someone else's fault. The bartender. The liquor store. The particular type of alcohol. Never the person who actually opened the bottle and drank from it.

(treading on very thin ice here) "Guns don't kill people, people kill people". While firearms are not my thing, the analogy is much the same.

Or was that the Valdez?

Perhaps it was a Louchefest on the Valdez.

That would've added a whole new dimension to that "oil trails" thing.

And another thing:

While it may be a matter of free will, I lay this partially at the feet of the amoral assholes who decided it was a good idea to actually market absinthe in such a way as to encourage abuse and XS, oops, I mean excess.

Crap, don't they realize that any alcoholic beverage over about 50% will de-fat tissue?

Doing shots of anything like that is a sure way to damage your esophagus if nothing else.

I think that is why Everclear is limited to 50% in some states.

Well, to get all “philosophical ‘n shit” I guess we could paint the picture appropriately; the blame should be shared. Shared amongst:

-Parents for not instilling correct values or protections?

-The media for portraying binge drinking in films or TV shows a ‘fun’?

-The neighbor ‘cause “it was his kid’s idea”?

-The system for allowing teenagers to drink at that age in that country (or any other country for that matter)?

-The industry for painting a false-light around that crapsinthe?

-The hometown because there is nothing better to do on a Saturday night?

-Mother Earth for producing such fine herbs and spices that make up all of the world’s most deadly or dangerous drinks, drugs and substances?

-Common sense for not reaching those afflicted by this?

I mean it’s sad that no matter how many people drink themselves into oblivion at age eighty, or eight, everyone always points the finger somewhere… usually except for right back at themselves. One thing is for certain- people will keep on being supid.

In the face of calls for a ban, some locals from New Zealand have set up a Facebook group to keep absinthe legal there. Seems a good cause to me.

Given the Wormwood Society aims/objectives, hopefully others here will feel they should join up.

We need to understand how something like this can develop, so that we are better prepared to fight anything similar closer to home.

At least one person is being logical about the whole thing. See the red passage.

Cop wants absinthe banned NZ wide

The Southland Times | Wednesday, 03 September 2008

Invercargill's raid squad boss wants absinthe banned nationwide, applauding Southland's two licensing trusts for pulling the potent spirit off the shelf.

Sergeant John Harris said yesterday absinthe had the highest alcohol by volume content for a spirit sold in this country. He would like to see it banned everywhere.

New Zealand already had enough of an alcohol problem without having something as strong as absinthe for sale to anyone over the age of 18 years, he said.

Mr Harris commended the Invercargill and Mataura licensing trusts for banning sales in their patch after a Gore teenager nearly died from drinking absinthe shots.

The publicity has resulted in absinthe being removed from the shelf at independent outlet Wetlands Liquor of Otatara.

Owner-manager Rebecca Munro said she decided to keep it behind the counter in the interests of the public. Staff would monitor who it was sold to.

Absinthe ranges in strength from 69 to 89.9 percent alcohol content. A few shots of the latter almost killed teenager Marc Hansen four weeks ago.

The 17-year-old stopped breathing three times before being put on life support at Southland Hospital.

The Alcohol Advisory Council said incidents such as Marc's were a graphic reminder of the dangers of consuming high-alcohol content products.

However, acting chief executive Tuari Potiki said binge drinking was not a single product issue.

Alcohol was a drug with toxic side effects if consumed in excess.

Marc's mother Monica Hansen said the family had been overwhelmed by the calls of congratulations and support from throughout the country since the teenager's story appeared in The Southland Times.

Marc has always taken full responsibility for his actions and was not proud of what he did.

But he was pleased with the outcome in raising awareness of drinking too much, Mrs Hansen said.

"he was pleased with the outcome in raising awareness of drinking too much"

Couldn't have said it better, myself.