sammy33

How many glasses...during the "Green Hour"?

In the end, it's just booze; don't get too hung up in analyzing it. Pour, drink, enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

I think this sums it up for me!

As forgiving as absinthe is the next morning,(and it really is compared to say,tequila) ,it still can bite you for awhile the next day if you have to work. So weekends are the way, then you can relax if you need to recover.

Friends can really get the numbers cooking up to 5-6 during a fun Green Hour, it flows when your educating others about this wonderful beverage,and I sure thank this forum for my ongoing education! :thumbup:

Absinthe does indeed seem to be forgiving the next day. I have had several nights recently where I have had 5-6 or more of this delicious concoction and feel much better the next day compared to drinking 5-6 (or more) beers. Absinthe is way more fun than beer in preparing a drink, the associated stories you can tell and the effect.

My recent discovery of Absinthe may also have something to do with my consumption rate (and fascination). I am only on my second bottle (in a week or so) and am really enjoying the drink. This forum extends that enjoyment as I feel like I have lots of drinking buddies here at WS. :drunk:

Two is very nice. Three can be nicer, but more than three gets a little 'sloshy' feeling.

Absinthe mixed with spring water 5:1 or 4:1 never gives me a hangover. Something maybe interesting: I have reflux, to the point where if I drink 1 oz scotch, 1 glass of wine or one beer, I have acid stomach that night and am awakened several times.

Never happens with absinthe-- mixed with water, slightly sweetened, I'm seeing that it is the only alcohol that I really enjoy during and after imbibing.

I generally have 2-3 glasses but mine are sipped slowly. One thing about Absinthe that I've never found with any other alcohol is that it doesn't give me a hangover. Or at least it hasn't yet. It's about the only alcohol I can stand to drink anymore. I had 3 glasses of wine last night seeing a friends band play and I felt like crap all day today. Not only do I not get hangovers from Absinthe, I usually feel more energized the next morning.

I don't recover from hangovers like I did 20 years ago. Absinthe has let me wake up refreshed even after some very vivid dreams. These are all bonuses to me. I can drink most anything but prefer absinthe. I sip it about every evening, atleast one glass.

Tonight I'm having two. :cheers:

It's about the only alcohol I can stand to drink anymore.

I couldn’t agree more. As I’ve said, an occasional beer or wine with dinner. But if I want to purely imbibe, I go for absinthe. Life and personal reasons caused me to cut a lot of my drinking- but Wow what I’ve discovered when I found absinthe. :wub: It’s hard to explain. I think quite possibly it is the best alcoholic beverage I’ve ever had, or ever care to at this point.

Generally one or two during the week. But like Wild Bill, when I get together with other absinthe drinkers all bets are off. Then you have to try as many as possible.

Something maybe interesting: I have reflux, to the point where if I drink 1 oz scotch, 1 glass of wine or one beer, I have acid stomach that night and am awakened several times.

Never happens with absinthe-- mixed with water, slightly sweetened, I'm seeing that it is the only alcohol that I really enjoy during and after imbibing.

I wonder how much of a role the essential oils play. Absinthe was originally a medicinal after all.

Typically only one, but sometimes two -- and I like to mix my brands; depends on what's available and the mood. As many others have noted, the company you're with is EVERYTHING. My wife and I recently introduced an old friend to absinthe and then we had three or four, including some Kübler mixed with champagne and some of the new Pernoud. Magnifique!!

Like others have said, absinthe has a calming effect my stomach and has yet to produce a hangover, a fact other friends we've introduced to the Green Fairy have mentioned as well. Truly, the nectar of the gods!

Typically only one, but sometimes two -- and I like to mix my brands; depends on what's available and the mood. As many others have noted, the company you're with is EVERYTHING. My wife and I recently introduced an old friend to absinthe and then we had three or four, including some Kübler mixed with champagne and some of the new Pernoud. Magnifique!!

Like others have said, absinthe has a calming effect my stomach and has yet to produce a hangover, a fact other friends we've introduced to the Green Fairy have mentioned as well. Truly, the nectar of the gods!

Sorry for the double post. My browser is acting weird tonight.

dang, I'm still only a NEWBIE??? I'm not posting enough! I've been drinking la fee verte for over two years now!

As little as one, as many as eighteen. I do NOT recommend the latter.

I hear that. After a certain point, you might as well be drinking something way cheaper, as your faculties start to, um, drift. And the next morning you realize your beloved expensive absinthe is perilously low.

I had 4-2 ounce shots of Lucid with 7up last night during a power outage, from around 8pm-1am. I had a chicken wrap at the dinner around the corner after the 1st drink, and then came back home for the rest.

Me and my girlfriend drank and did Tarot cards under candle light. I hated not having power, but the Absinthe was nice. I could have had another, but the girlfriend wasn't on par. :devil:

I'm late for this one, but I'll bite.

Usually I drink on the weekends, and while in the past the teenager in me likes to get really drunk, I'll have around 8 glasses of absinthe. With absinthe, even this fails to give me a hangover.

Recently, I am learning to have only a couple glasses, louche them well, let the flavours come out, and sip through the evening. I find the overall experience quite enjoyable, and the drunk feeling is more balanced and steady. As well, I finally get the word "apertif" with this kind of indulgence; it is very stimulating and invigorating.

I become more certain that absinthe was meant to be drunk quite slowly and steadily.

"...in the past the teenager in me likes to get really drunk..."

Hopefully, as time passes, the more orders of magnitude you will want to be removed from this existence: moderation is a virtue. Enjoy!

:cheers:

In answer to the original poster's question, I drink two glasses of absinthe on any given day a couple times a week. (Note: I have violated this rule on occasion--very rarely--and have always regretted it).

See above post.

:cheers:

How many glasses.....during the green hour?

All good answers but perhaps what he had in mind was a "timed" event, a competition. *devil grin*

With 18, I think Hiram is in the lead. *wink*

I'll stick with my original post. *smile*

Cheers!

In the end, it's just booze; don't get too hung up in analyzing it. Pour, drink, enjoy. Repeat as necessary.

Now that's poetry!

Keep drinking more brands :cheers:

Hey nephrite, nice to see you around!

So to address the question, I have never had a "green hour" as a formal plan. This beverage is so different than anything else, that any time I have one it's an hour, and two can take two and a half, including louche time.

I have told the curious that absinthe is to alcohol beverages as cigars are to tobacco. You know... Cigarettes and beers; wham-bam thank you ma'am. Cigars and absinthe; Now that's a relationship! They take time, and you need time to commit to each consumption. None of this is helped (time-wise) by the fact that I am usually doing a WS evaluation sheet most times when I have one. The other day, however, I thought it was high time I just enjoyed one for enjoyment's sake, so I did just "Pour, drink, enjoy", with a Marteau AdlBE, BTW!

Usually only one, sometimes two, and sipped slowly. It takes me at least a half hour to finish a glass, often more. If I'm at a get-together where imbibing is the objective, then I can really put them back.

After the half a bottle of Geyserville with dinner, I had the good sense to do the rest of my sampling/drinking from cordial glasses. My posts were silly enough without getting totally blitzed and I feel way better for it today. When we finally get to hook-up for real with the Good Doctor from Saint Looey, I think I'm going to be in trouble. And, I'm looking forward to finding out. :cheers: