Any coffee snobs? I love Starbuck's breakfast blend. I usually like a light roast in the morning and a medium/dark roast in the afternoon and evening. I admit to adding a little cream and sugar, but not a lot. What do you look for in a roast, where do you get yours and do you grind yourself? I'm looking to expand my coffee horizons so any suggestions would be awesome.

Dear Goddess he's talking coffee, RUN! 1000's of dollars later we are getting our morning buzz in style.

Thanks Elf.

Edited by Oscar

Davidoff black, Lavazza (any), acorn coffee of course, and absinthe-coffee. One sugar cube, sometimes milk.

1000's of dollars later we are getting our morning buzz in style.

Any additions lately?

You’ll see when you come to town.

Abs, what's your source for the Mezzana Estate?

Edited by Oscar

Thanks elf. My goal was to start off actually about coffee instead of wading through a couple pages before getting to something about coffee. I think pots, glasses, etc, should follow after coffee.

I'm usually backasswards on stuff. :twitchsmile:

About 18 months later & I'm still in love with my Nespresso Romeo machine & coffee selection. Nothing like good espresso to get you going in the morning.

We really like the French Roast beans we get at Costco and grind using our little Braun grinder for each pot. I keep thinking about a burr grinder(and which one is best?) and French pot instead of our Braun drip coffeemaker. It all works great.....but could it be better? Wow......roasting green beans sounds fascinating. Overwhelming amount of beans to choose from. The smells must be incredible.

I just recieved an order of 1lb each:

Brazil Daterra Farms -Yellow Bourbon

Ethiopian FTO Yirgacheffe Oromia

Nicaragua FTO Esteli - Miraflor Coop

Puro Scuro Blend

And the smell? While some don't like it and prefer to roast outdoors, I myself like it after a day or so.

I would like to start roasting coffee beans, too. Maggie says, "One more hobby and you'll be giving something else up!" :shock:

Maybe I'll just be nice to the Elf.

*Ahem*

Care to bring a little in a couple of weeks?

Absolutely. I'm also bringing a bottle of '05 Allagash Interlude and a couple surprises for you mo-fo's.

I would like to start roasting coffee beans, too. Maggie says, "One more hobby and you'll be giving something else up!" :shock:

Maybe I'll just be nice to the Elf.

No complaints here. Keep yer ear to the ground. The monkeys will be busy next week.

I love the smell of the roasting coffee, the only pain is the chaff on some beans gets very messy.

I'm just about done with 5 lbs of Idido Misty Valley beans, though I love the taste of these beans the chaff they produced was very fine and would pass through the screen on the roaster leaving a dust on everything.

Otherwise the freshness and ability to roast to your preference makes for a fantastic cup.

Well la-tte-da.

I'm roasting out in my shop where I laugh in the face of chaff.

Grey, have you had to replace yer chamber yet? I'm on my second. It sounds at the rate you're going it won't be long.

Nope, I'm still on my first chamber, I've had it since Dec of '05 and roast about a pound at least 3 times a week. I treat it with kid gloves.

What happened to yours?

That's what I love about this place. However much of a snob you are about something, you can almost bet someone here is more of a snob about it than you. So there's always something new to learn and always something to enjoy that's better than what you've enjoyed before.

Wow- & here I thought I was all la-tee-dah about grinding my own daily.

I use Stew Leonards (I like that they roast it there where I can see) but I am awaiting arrival of a very special blend that my cousin created while working with the Peace Corps in Indonesia. Its named after him.

The best coffee I've ever tried is Douwe Egberts; however, the taste of the coffee is vastly better when prepared in one of their industrial coffee brewing systems, rather than in my home coffee maker. Whenever I drive through Columbia, MO I stop off at Lakota's? for a pound or four. Simply amazing stuff, especially the Jamaican Blue Mountain!

What happened to yours?
If you'll notice, the cast bottom section is epoxyed(?) to the glass chamber. Over time it will separate. This has been a problem from the beginning. My original chamber lasted about 2 years, but I was not roasting as much as you.

I know I'm not as refined as you folks, roasting your own coffee. I'm sure it it is much better than buying pre-roasted beans, but I must refrain from further hobbies and reading material as my current loves have already consumed all my funds. If I start another hobby, my bank will separate me from them!

However, in the interest of being "on thread" I would like to recommend Catskill Mountain Coffee. My favorite is Mood Indigo. A blend of Ethiopian and Sumatran in a dark Espresso roast. It is very nice. At least given my limited knowledge and experience, I believe it to be very nice. I think tayker would like it.