Dangermonkey

Czech Alcohol - Never Mind the Thujone Level

Czech: Methanol Contamination at Czech Spirit Maker Halts Production

Source: FLEXNEWS

25/08/2008

25 August, 2008 - Spirit production at LIHO Blanice was suspended recently after Czech authorities found dangerously high levels of methanol in samples of its beverages, forbidding the distribution of stocked valued at CZK15 million (EUR 615,000)

In some cases the methanol level recorded was over four times the safety limit laid down by the European Union.

The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA) said "The European directives allow 500 milligrams of methanol per litre of absolute alcohol; however appliances in case of spirits from the company LIHO Blanice measured as much as 1880 milligrams."

The food safety organisation immediately issued an alert to consumers about purchasing LIHO Blanice's spirits. A CAFIA spokesman said the incidents of contamination were so "extensive" that Customs Officers from Tabor were drafted in to assist.

CAFIA said LIHO Blanice uses the spirits for its own products as well as selling them to other companies to use in theirs. However, the company was unable to provide fully accurate records of which companies had purchased the spirits.

A CAFIA statement said: "CAFIA not only banned further production of consumer spirit for food purposes, but also suspended sale of all spirits that were stored in the company at the time of control. Nearly 57 thousand litres of decanted spirits are concerned in total value exceeding eight million Czech crowns. The producer cannot further distribute even the spirits which have not been decanted from production tanks yet; therefore the total value of these goods is estimated at 15 million crowns."

The body said its investigation is on-going.

So eventually here is the explanation of the guys pretending to trip balz after drinking crapsinthe...

Btw this is another field where distilled absinthe kick oil-mix's ass: if you distill and distill correctly, cutting the first spirit that come out as "head" give you the possibility to avoid the bad stuff a not perfectl rectified base alcohol can carry.

Losing your eyesight and being preserved alive is a necessary component of trippin' ballz.

Ethanol ->-> acetaldehyde.

Methanol ->-> formaldehyde. :cheers:

Good thing a preventative measure to keep the enzymes from breaking down the methanol is to just drink the real thing... :drunk: I guess not too many of us are going to have to worry about that... :devil:

Ah, the irony..

“Do you know what that thing will do? Suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro.”

Good thing a preventative measure to keep the enzymes from breaking down the methanol is to just drink the real thing... :drunk: I guess not too many of us are going to have to worry about that... :devil:

Exactly! The antidote to methanol is ethanol. Lots of it. Through the veins if necessary. :devil:

I wonder how many Czechsinthes buy their base alcohol from these guys.

I am aware of one who buys from them, but I don't think I should name them. ;)

I wonder if we will read about a recall on any of the sites selling these products? Having had this problem in the first place is bad enough, but if the manufacturers or brands concerned don't tell their customers about this, then that's disgraceful.

Oh come now, you can tell me. I promise, I won't tell a soul. :twitchsmile:

Given the fact that these companies are already in the business of defrauding their customers by lying about the effects of their product, I have no doubt that they will sweep this under the rug. Heck, they might even be happy. Their product might actually start making people go crazy!

I was sorta hoping for copper sulphate over methanol; but hey I like the color green.

:puke:

I was holding out for my old standby, antimony chloride.