I like Armagnac. I had some really good stuff when I was in the region a couple of years ago. It was given to me by a local, but I can't remember the name and I'm sure you can't get it here. Cognac is such a bigger market. Most people don't know what Armagnac is, and Armagnac is harder to find. Anyway, I do have a bottle of 1980 Baron de Lustrac from the Bas Armagnac region, 100% folle blanche. I've quite enjoyed it over the past couple of years. I have enough left for about 1 glass......And now it's gone. Time for a new bottle. :cheers:

I do have two armagnacs in my bar, Les Domaines Grassa Reserve, from the Bas Armagnac region, and Armagnac de Montal V.S., which is a blended armagnac. I really really like the Grassa Reserve, it's very earthy, kind of reminds me of when you bite into an apple and eat right down to the core, it's kind of smoky and slightly bitter and sweet all at the same time. The de Montal is less character-driven, but it's nice enough for sipping.

I don't think I paid more than $40 for either bottle. Armagnac is much more reasonably priced than Cognac, because the region is less well known, and they just haven't penetrated the US market yet. Plus, so much of what you pay for in the higher-end cognacs is the bottle that it comes in, and that doesn't usually matter to me -- it's the gold inside that makes it worth it!

My pleasure OMG. Tonight on the way home i stopped and bought a bottle of Pierre Ferrand Reserves Des Dieux. It cost about $60.00 and is fantastic. I said in a previous post that to me the $60. to $100. range stuff is better then the $1000. plus bottles such as Louis the 13th. Have a good night all I'm going back to my Cognac :cheers:

Good to see you again Metodd and thanks.

:cheers:

Thanks and good to see you too. Too bad we didn't get together before I left Texas like we talked about. I've been missing a bit on the forums for the past couple of weeks as I tried to get moved 1800 miles across the country. Had a flat tire on the towing trailer (thankfully not on the moving van) and had a scare on a twisty, one lane mountain road (wrong turn), but made it in one or two pieces.

Since I've been out here in the Napa valley it has been work work work. Harvest is just starting to crank up, and I hardly have time to breathe. Crushed lots of Sauvignon Blanc this week. Merlot comes next week.

It was amazing with a PF 1914, and Martell's Extra. :yahoo:

Show off. :tongue:

Hell, I'd never have any chance of "keeping up with the Joneses" in your "neighborhood". :rolleyes: :cheers:

I really haven't experienced alot of cognac but I did buy a bottle of Courvoisier poured about 2 oz in a glass and I must admit, I had to sink it. I really couldn't take it. Should it be warmed?

Oh well my guests may like it. :cheers:

I have a bottle of Louis the 13th which I am not crazy about.

Having worked on Cognac in the past (including Louis 13th) I'd have to confess that I'd usually prefer an XO Cognac to the Louis. Louis X111 is a very complex cognac, and I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for it. The XO's are usually the best value, complex yet manageable .. you can detect many different aromas and tastes without being overwhelmed by them.

Here's a cognac that I have always thought to be exceptional and a tremendous value. Take a look at the review of Noces d'Or vs Louis XIII. Then apply whatever price/value calculations you want. The beauty of the Noces d'Or is that it is sold in a dolled up and handsome glass bottle, when most Cognacs of this age are served up in crystal. I actually own this one, and believe me, when I want a real treat... :thumbup:

If you want to really scramble your mind, take a look at this one! Here is the review.

Current prices are approximately $200.00 for the Noces d'Or, $7500.00 for the Perfection.

I have spent some time getting acquainted with Armagnac, and I have come to the conclusion that, for me, there is probably no finer beverage on earth. There is a specialty store here that has many choices and I have spent far too much money there. If I had to take one brand and run with it, it would be the de Montal line, although my Baron de Lustrac 1963 is mind-blowingly awesome. I had the Castarede 20 yr old a while ago, and it was fantastic as well.

I would like to hear from other WSers who enjoy the amber elixer. :cheers: