I was wondering if we had any cognac aficionados in the house? I myself prefer it to all other liquor, even absinthe. OMG!, blasphemer! I have tried many brands and prefer Pierre Ferrand. I have a bottle of Louis the 13th which I am not crazy about. The best I've had was a vintage 1914 Pierre Ferrand it was incredible . I am also holding a bottle of vintage 1900 Cerbois armagnac which I am not sure if I'll drink or try to sell, it was a gift. Could anyone recommend a reasonably priced yet mellow Armagnac? Thanks :cheers:

I myself prefer it to all other liquor, even absinthe. OMG!, blasphemer!

Absinthe is not the drink of choice for many of us (although we have a great passion for it). I myself prefer bourbon.

I myself prefer it to all other liquor, even absinthe. OMG!, blasphemer!

Absinthe is not the drink of choice for many of us (although we have a great passion for it). I myself prefer bourbon.

sorry . didn't mean to offend. I was just being a wise guy since this is an absinthe site :devil:

Edited by absinthiamentis

Are you trying to say we're that volatile, that we'd blow up over the least offense and loose our heads? That we're a bunch of hair-trigger internet bullies waiting to go off with no provocation?? I for one don't appreciate being portrayed that way! Way to wade in with both feet and start a fight, buddy!!!

:twitchsmile:

Bourbon's my favorite as well, but there's a long list right behind it. And as with absinthe, it's just been too much fun trying and discovering wonderful liquors & spirits that are new to me.

And so I'd also like to hear about reasonably priced and tasty Armagnac's.

:cheers:

Are you trying to say we're that volatile, that we'd blow up over the least offense and loose our heads? That we're a bunch of hair-trigger internet bullies waiting to go off with no provocation?? I for one don't appreciate being portrayed that way! Way to wade in with both feet and start a fight, buddy!!!

put up your dukes... ;)

I love single malts, but bourbon is my drink of choice too. However, I do loves me some absinthe.

Doub's Mystique is wonderful stuff.

Brevans is one of my favorites.

Hard to beat Duplais Balance for the cost and the taste.

I'd have to say vodka is my favorite liquor.

:pirate:

Actually, it's Scotch. But Gin, Tequila, Bourbon and just about everything else (except vodka) are great as well.

absinthiamentis, the p_quote.gif button at the bottom of each post is the "quote this post in your reply" button; no need to repeat what the last poster said; psychologists call that "echolalia". You can reply with the "Add Reply" buttonat the very bottom, or if you go to your My Controls panel, you can set your board settings so that the Fast Reply window is always open at the bottom of the page.

absinthiamentis, the p_quote.gif button at the bottom of each post is the "quote this post in your reply" button; no need to repeat what the last poster said; psychologists call that "echolalia". You can reply with the "Add Reply" buttonat the very bottom, or if you go to your My Controls panel, you can set your board settings so that the Fast Reply window is always open at the bottom of the page.

ok,you folks are just to confusing. I did the reply thing before and someone told me not to add the previous message in my post ? Maybe its me being illiterate. I also asked for advice on armagnac and never got any feedback, just the regulars joking around. I've been trying to comply with the rules here but on the few posts I've done all I've gotten is criticism.

I did the reply thing before and someone told me not to add the previous message in my post ? Maybe its me being illiterate.

That's exactly what Hiram said.

no need to repeat what the last poster said

I also asked for advice on armagnac and never got any feedback, just the regulars joking around.

Maybe it's just because the people who have read this thread so far don't have much advice to give on armagnac. People here are very willing to offer their advice, so i'm sure they would if they had any info to give. I for one don't mind cognac or armagnac, but I don't particularly care for them either. It's not something I actively collect or drink. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I did a search of the forum as well and didn't really find any information. A few mentions here and there, but no discussions on specific products.

Allow me to try again and maybe I'll get it right. I thought he meant I was supposed to hit the button. It doesn't help that I'm at work and keep getting interruptions, how dare they expect me to concentrate on my job. :) I'll keep checking for the cognac posts also and thanks for checking for me shabba. I'll get the hang of this sooner or later :cheers:

The same company that distributes Pierre Ferrand also owns Cerbois.

If you're looking for a "reasonable" French Brandy, you can certainly do worse than the Cerbois Armagnac VSOP. It should be somewhere around $40-50 US.

I quite enjoyed the bottle I had of it. It and the Pierre Ferrand Ambre were two of the most enjoyable French brandies I've tried so far. Though I am by no means a Brandy, Cognac, or Armangac expert.

~Erik

I thought he meant I was supposed to hit the button.

Actually, there are two 'reply' buttons. He was suggesting that you use the one at the bottom of the page instead, because then you won't be automatically quoting everything.

You can reply with the "Add Reply" buttonat the very bottom

Quoting specific points made in a post (as I'm doing here) is perfectly fine, as it maintains continuity.

I've tried several Cognacs and Brandies but no Armagnac yet. I enjoy a nice quiet drink and those suit me but I'm pretty lost on what is good, better or best.

That's the difficult part in spending the $$. I hate to spend alot on something unless I've read favorable reviews. I will buy smaller bottles to sample and go from there.

It's still a "what mood am I in" thing.

A few suggestions would be appreciated. I can't drink absinthe every night, that stuff will make you crazy. :twitchsmile:

Eric, I did try the Ambre before and found it very enjoyable and would recommend it. OMG_Bill here's one for you to try. Its Casterede Bas Armagnac and you can get a good XO for about $90.00 US. I think, from my research, that you always want to get the Bas Armangac. I think Bas refers to the region.

Edited by absinthiamentis

If you like cognac, you should try making a Tremblement de Terre. I'm surprised that this hasn't come up yet in this thread.

Quoting Oxy:

Start with a dose of a fairly plain anise rich absinthe - we used F.Guy. Add half as much again of cognac. Top up with iced water as normal. The cognac gives the absinthe an almost vintage-like richness - delicious!

I think any cognac would do, but you should use cognac, not armagnac or other brandy.

The absinthe should be anise rich, because you still want it to louche, even when diluted at least 50% with the cognac. It's really delicious, and what I found especially interesting is that it shows that at least some of the unmistakeable taste of vintage absinthe is due to the aged grape based eau de vie.