1a-absinthe.com

Situation in Canada

Hi experts,

would anyone like to be so kind to give me information about the legal status of absinthe in Canada right now?

Some years ago, every order was stopped by customs.

It seems it was also depending on the thujone (aargh I am afraid of mentioning the word here) contents and the interdiction of strong alcohol transportation by canadian post.

Does anybody know how to make a save delivery to Canada? Does DHL work?

Thanks a lot.

Edited by 1a-absinthe.com

I have got several packages from Canada and sent back some others to. None was lost or stolen-all arrived safe and sound. Just be sure what to write on the customs declaration.

He was asking about delivery to Canada.

And I have just said I sent several packages to Canada from Poland, it is just similar as if sending something to Canada from Germany. Rules in Poland and Germany as members of the EU are rather the same. You just have to fill in the customs declaration, send it by "prioritaire" and it takes 4 working days to get to Canada safely and quickly.

The situation is a weird one. Essentially what it boils down to (I think) is that shipping of alcohol through Canada Post (or courier for that matter) is prohibited and they do a pretty good job of stopping it at customs. It's not an issue of thujone content and absinthe isn't illegal in Canada, it's just that our provincial liquor boards, being government controlled, don't want us cutting them out of the equation and ordering from abroad. That's as I understand it anyways. Thus, most online retailers don't ship here anymore due to all of these complications. One or two still will, but most don't.

I've never had any problems with any shipments I've received, whether sent by a friend or one of the companies still willing to ship here.

Oxy's Canadian site ships from within Canada, so the product never crosses the border, making seizure a non-issue.

Essentially what it boils down to (I think) is that shipping of alcohol through Canada Post (or courier for that matter) is prohibited and they do a pretty good job of stopping it at customs.

That exactly matches my experiences.

DHL does not work as it seems, but others services that to not use canadian post should be possible I think. I will have to figure out which one.