PeterL

Pernod aux Plantes d'Absinthe Superieure

I thought I would have created more of a stir with my heresy. Just two posts from the Bitter Elders? :wave2:

Certainly the internet forums established communities that could nurture and sustain the interest in absinthe for all the years that it could only be bought over the Internet from Europe with the attached large shipping costs. Without this, Kübler and Lucid would never have made the effort to bring absinthe to the US.

And I think it's really important that people who've taken an interest in the authentic historical article have gone to the extent to bring to market absinthes that honor that tradition.

The people I interact with are totally outside any absinthe community. About all they know is that it used to be illegal, that it isn't anymore, and they may not know why. More than anything they want to know what it tastes like, how it compares to the other beverages they drink. And these folks are as interested in 19th century France as they are in 19th century America, which is to say not at all.

Just sayin', that's all.

:cheers:

No interest in 19th century America?

Why, that's blasphemous!

How can you derive any joy out of the continuity of life, if you don't cherish the past?

Oh, wait, they're in Walton, so they're still living in the 19th century, aren't they?

On second thought, I can relate to those fine folks, Dakini, as I don't have all that much interest in the 21st century, myself. ;) :cheers:

No one cares about Pernod Fils absinthe of the Belle Epoque except a few hundred aficionados on the internet.

Heresy? I don't think so. Like already said, most people in the US would have no idea what PF is if you asked them.

Oh, wait, they're in Walton, so they're still living in the 19th century, aren't they?

Actually there are people who think that it's still the 1950's. Or it should be, so that Walton could return to it's former prosperity. But those people forget that from 1845-1968 Walton was dry.

We get to read the news from 100 years ago in our weekly paper. Not the news that would interest a city dweller, but the news of country folks. Farmer so-and-so [was killed, nearly killed, badly injured, narrowly escaped being killed] when his team was spooked and went at a gallop down the hill. I don't think many would give up their tractors.

Plus, there wasn't Nascar 100 years ago.

I can't see Pernod-Ricard spending the money to rebuild the needed infrastructure, just to produce a traditional absinthe.

Sourcing high quality herbs in the quantity Pernod-Ricard once used would be a daunting task today.

Pernod-Ricard are even able if they wanted to ,get back on their status of the best absinthe maker .

I know that they are suposed to still have in hand their original formula ... but a lot too lazy to do ...

Edited by EdouardPerneau

You really think they will come back? I feel that if that were their plan, they would not have started with the swill they just dumped on the market.

But, I could be wrong. Again.

You really think they will come back? I feel that if that were their plan, they would not have started with the swill they just dumped on the market.

You really think they will come back? no

I feel that if that were their plan, they would not have started with the swill they just dumped on the market... Perhaps but maybe they were trying to fool the customer and see if they could make difference ... so they do ... ( They even try several time to get to Vert d'absinthe) vert d'absinthe

but Monsieur Santiago always tell them that their absinthe wasn't competitive as the current offering .. but Pernod doesn't understand ,for them, they have an high end product based on the original 1943 recipe .

they have an high end product based on the original 1943 recipe .

Ha! Even more original than the 1932 recipe of Paul Ricard :twitchsmile: . It is a way without return. They are too far to make anything approachable in the matter of "extrait d'absinthe" since their current portfolio is full of mediocre products with few (really few) exceptions.

We all have Bill's Toupee.

If you have a Devil-Make-Hair attitude, there'll be Hell Toupee.

Did Burt Reynolds actually pay you to plug his mistake in here? :twitchsmile:

Update :

Pernod Absinthe is produced with the highest quality ingredients and standards in the industry. Each bottle is manually filled, corked and labeled from the small batch production. The current formula of Pernod Absinthe is based on genuine information recorded in a manuscript written by the cellar master of Pernod. The manuscript dated December 15,1943 recorded the detailed ingredients and production process of Pernod Absinthe before the ban.

End of story ™ we are all wrong to think that it taste bad ... It taste as good as the real deal ™ (according to Pernod of course) :laf:

Edited by EdouardPerneau

Interesting what that '1943' might actually be since the last recorded recipe was from 1906, Pernod under the name of "Perneau" was available on the black market in the years 1940-1945, whereas Pernod SA was already in full swing in Tarragona (it was absorbed by Les Établissements Pernod (est. 1926) in 1938) and Pernod Ricard as such has not been created (that was in 1975), while Paul Ricard is believed to have mastered his recipe in 1932 (back when it might have been something good, though based on numerous pastis recipes). Who they are trying to fool?

At my local BevMo they just stack this alongside the regular Pernod with no price tag to boot. I honestly don't think they realize it's anything different. Apart from the alcohol content, I'm not sure it is!

We've all got this wrong, it seems.

According to today's press announcement, Pernod Absinthe apparently dates back to the early 17th century.

"Since the beginning of its rich history in the early 17th century, Pernod Absinthe has inspired artistic endeavors from still life paintings to bohemian poetry."

Of course some of Dr. Absinthe's friends may still be able to beat that ... :devil:

To my surprise, I found this on the shelf in the local store.

I am a bear of simple brains. If it's US-available absinthe you want, and not necessarily a verte, then get Kübler.

Along those lines, based on the comments, seems like PernodaPd'AS is a lower quality than Lucid, right? The price was almost identical for the same volume in the store. So if not as good as Lucid, which seems more widely available, and you want some verte absinthe, why not just get Lucid?

I am mostly ignorant of the spirits industry, but it seems like if the European producers could check their current brands against the US requirements vis a vis thujone, and they pass, then they should start shipping!

But then as stated I am a bear of simple brains. :cheers:

[edit] My criterion at this point, based on my limited experience and reading the reviews here, as "Joe off the U.S. Shelf Absinthe Buyer", is to buy nothing reviewed that is rated lower than Lucid, unless you are wooed by attractive packaging and that should happen only once. LTV, blech.

Edited by Beautiful Loosher

If it's US-available absinthe you want, and not necessarily a verte, then get Kübler.

Or, you can upgrade to CLB. It's available in the USA and it's a high quality absinthe.

:cheers:

The modern Pernod is terrible. They sell it here in Ontario at the LCBO along side of Hills. It has 1ppm thujone. I don't see how any of the wormwood flavour could have made it past the distillation with 1ppm thujone. Retails for 84.50$ ...

Edited by smiley

The modern Pernod is terrible. They sell it here in Ontario at the LCBO along side of Hills. It has 1ppm thujone. I don't see how any of the wormwood flavour could have made it past the distillation with 1ppm thujone. Retails for 84.50$ ...

Thujone has absolutely nothing to do with wormwood flavor. I don't know if this comes as a surprise to you, or a disappointment, or what, but the best absinthes in the world, both present and past, had very small quantities of thujone.