PeterL

Pernod aux Plantes d'Absinthe Superieure

Just read an email from DUNY,a new Absinthe has been added to their line-up Pernod aux Plantes d'Absinthe Superieure. Any reviews? Comments?

There's one review posted by Peridot, not very flattering. But still I think I might give it a try. :twitchsmile:

Don't do it, Peter.

There are far better absinthes to blow your money on. Like most of them.

I agree with Absomphe entirely. Pernod 68 is probably the worst non-Czech absinthe I've had. There's no reason to subject yourself to it in the name of Trying Every Absinthe Available. Wait for the "opportunity" to try it for free.

How discouraging. I guess all of that history and prestige mean absolutely nothing....however, I can't say this with conviction, because I have not tried it.

I've spent a few dollars on bad absinths. Then I started paying attention to reviews. I didn't start saving money but what I spent my money to get was far superior.

Looking up my earlier purchases on different review sites convinced me I didn't need to buy each and every "new" product that came down the pike.

It's all a matter of personal preference. :cheers:

How discouraging. I guess all of that history and prestige mean absolutely nothing... however, I can't say this with conviction, because I have not tried it.

Dude, it's not the same company, it's a huge global conglomerate that owns a third of the liquor brands in the world. Seriously, they don't know anything about absinthe anymore. If they wanted to bring back Pernod Fils, they'd have to hire consultants.

:fork:

Mmm ... I wonder how much they pay consultants. :devil:

I read that the new Pernod is "a bottling closely based on the iconic original." Assuming that "bottling" refers to the act of filling the bottle, that's not too significant a statement about the product itself.

Just read an email from DUNY,a new Absinthe has been added to their line-up Pernod aux Plantes d'Absinthe Superieure. Any reviews? Comments?

i actually just tried this absinthe last night and its quite good. it must be a preferense thing because its thick, good trails, great louche, fresh/clean flavor, sharp drunk, and the highest alcohol content (68%) that ive found in an american marketed absinthe. i generally drink a dulais blache from over seas and its very similar just less alcohol content and much cheaper due too no shipping rates. i say give it a try and judge for yourself.

Seriously, they don't know anything about absinthe anymore. If they wanted to bring back Pernod Fils, they'd have to hire consultants.

Maybe they should. I still can't believe nobody in that company bothered to at least record the ingredients and the process of distilling the legendary absinthe for posterity's sake, if for nothing else. They've got alot of namebrand recognition that they're just flushing down the drain like people do with their absinthe.

i actually just tried this absinthe last night and its quite good. it must be a preferense thing because its thick, good trails, great louche, fresh/clean flavor, sharp drunk, and the highest alcohol content (68%) that ive found in an american marketed absinthe. i generally drink a dulais blache from over seas and its very similar just less alcohol content and much cheaper due too no shipping rates. i say give it a try and judge for yourself.

Where do these people come from?

Now, now.

it must be a preferense thing because its thick, good trails, great louche, fresh/clean flavor, sharp drunk, and the highest alcohol content (68%) that ive found in an american marketed absinthe. i generally drink a dulais blache from over seas and its very similar just less alcohol content and much cheaper due too no shipping rates. i say give it a try and judge for yourself.

First of all, the shift key is your friend. Please be courteous to your readers by making your posts easier to read. Also, please go back and read the section of the forum labeled Read This First.

Second, looking for a "sharp drunk, and the highest alcohol content" are not exactly the hallmarks of a connoisseur. You could be talking about Wild Irish Rose. We're not so much about getting crunk over here as we are learning to recognize and appreciate a good, authentic absinthe. If you just want to get good and fucked up and keep a buzz, just put some Everclear in your quad, with-room, grande latte.

Third, it's not so much a preference thing as an experience thing. After you've tasted a dozen or so different absinthes, you begin develop a keener sense of their differences. After a couple hundred varieties you can pretty well recognize crap.

I still can't believe nobody in that company bothered to at least record the ingredients and the process of distilling the legendary absinthe for posterity's sake, if for nothing else.

I'd bet your ass they've got it all locked up in a Swiss safe somewhere. Numerous people have contacted them asking if they'd reprise Pernod Fils, but they're apparently not interested.

Well that's the funny thing. Nobody likes their current offering, but they still offer it. They must think the additional investment would not get the returns they like. What a pity.

That's the thing about absinthe, so few people know what it's supposed to taste like that many, like our new friend Boogie Man here, find it perfectly acceptable.

However, if anyone is in a position to blow the top off the segment, in terms of having the means to produce a superior product and marketing power, they are. But only if they decide to get off their butts and actually bring back the real thing.

You listenin' P-R? Have your people call my people. We'll talk. No big whoop.

I think P-R USA is a little more concerned with what they do with the 10 million cases of Absolut they will be handling in the US from October 1st. Nice problem to have ..

True, Alan.

But still, there's the idea of a public face for a brand. For example, the "Hershey's Kiss". (sorry if this doesn't make sense to a UKer, Alan) Hershey makes a huge majority of their profit from products you might never guess came from Hershey. But ask the average guy in the street about Hershey, and 999 times out of a thousand they'll talk about the Kiss.

Without the Kiss, Hershey would just be another giant manufacturer largely unknown and unloved by the public at large. But this tiny product gives them a face, a personality that keeps them in the hearts of all Americans and gives them public awareness they couldn't buy without it.

Pernod, the product, gives this to Pernod-Ricard, even if Absolut pays their bills. And most people kind of know that the current Pernod began as a substitute for their famous absinthe, now lost to history. A revitalization of that absinthe now, when absinthe is poised to become the newest trend, could give them a fantastic public face, with an instant link to a history of excellence, even if the current owners of the name have no right to it.

For a comparatively small investment, they could turn the name Pernod back into a trademark of quality with very high visibility, even if their main business is selling vodka.

Other than someone interested in absinthe, I think if you would ask the average person on the street what Pernod Fils means, you'd just get a blank stare.

Have your people call my people.

Whoa, H...are you on the "ins" with Ellen?

Cuz, if you are, I'd really love the opportunity to meet Portia, and try to convince her that she needs to give bisexuality a tr.........

Oh, hi, Tishy... I'm so glad you're home, and I've been missin' you all day!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Yes, and we're the only ones who really matter.

Oh, I forgot, you're in the process of opening a distillery in upstate New York crackerville, nevermind. :harhar:

Just funnin', Dakini.

We all have Bill's Toupee.

Just funnin' Bill. :laugh:

No one cares about Pernod Fils absinthe of the Belle Epoque except a few hundred aficionados on the internet.

Not so much, don't care but more don't know.

We can't seriously expect to bounce back to absinthe's popularity of a hundred years ago in only a very few years. It took absinthe almost a hundred years and a devastated winery biz for absinthe to reach it's zenith. We are currently in absinthe's second infancy. Wait twenty years for its preadolescence. :cheers: