If I remember right, there are other numbers, too. From what I can recall, calamus numbs my tongue completely. But that was when I tried chewing upon a chunk of it. Putting your nose in the bag will suffice, people. But if you really need to EXPERIENCE your herbs, do the calamus last. Something also makes me think angelica does something similar, but I could just be remembering that angelica tastes like dirt to me. Not bad dirt, really. But dirt, nonetheless.

The Leopold sample I had the other night gave a fairly strong numbing effect and I thought I tasted a little star in there. It certainly had that characteristic sweetness.

I enjoy the slight numbing effect. Oscar gave me a glass of something (damn me for forgetting the name) one New Year's in which I first really noticed the numbinng. I only see it as a 'defect' if the numbing is so bad that you don't notice the drool on your chin.

Nope. No star anise.

I didn't notice any Star Anise in Leopold but plenty of Green Anise which anyone here should be a big fan. Good Green Anise can have plenty of tongue numbing. Personally, I have no problem with it* but I'm sure for someone with a very sensitive sense of taste, it could be a problem.

*If you saw how much Tabasco I just dumped on my pizza, you'd know my taste buds are fairly screwed/toasted anyway.

Aw heck, Tabasco is just Vinegar, really. I used to drown my hashbrowns in it and after a year or so of no ketchup I put it on my eggs n hashbrowns again and all I tasted was sugar. Now I have a little blob of ketchup and a little blob o' tabasco all separate from each other.....for the best of both worlds.

When I lived in Tucson it was an Odyssey of hot foods,(after having had a fair amount of experience as a kid) it just kept escalating and was fun as all get-out. After moving up north I don't care as much and it don't take much to make me hoot. Not that I'm not game for a challenge... :devil: