Sign in to follow this  
Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

The Thirsty Traveler

I did a search for thirsty traveler first, and came up with nothing. Sorry about that. I knew

there was a thread for it somewhere. I wanted to put it in the right thread, really I did.

I figured the most logical place for an absinthe television show would be in the Media section.

When Ted let Kevin Brauch put the bag of herbs in the vat, Kevin said it was to add color.

There was no mention about it also adding flavor, but it obviously does. I'm sure Ted would

have been more clear if he had been explaining it. A tea bag certainly adds more than color

to a cup of tea. :cheers:

I think I've watched about all of the Thirsty Traveler Episodes; they are a mixed bag in my opinion. Years ago when the episodes were being aired for the first time I did gain some valuable knowledge from certain shows, though a lot was rehashed in the later episodes. Ironically, it wasn't his narration that gave the best insight, but those little info boxes that popped-up every now and again.

The absinthe episode was passable, but it just put it in a strange light. Those people he drank with in Switzerland were VERY strange if I recall, and they started singing at some point...badly. It's been too long to remember specifics, but I remember being a bit annoyed by some of the information that was not elaborated on.

I watched the absinthe episode last night, and it was pretty interesting in light of some of the discussions that have been taking place here on the forum. For example, I watched with great interest the process of the condensation of the distillate from the stills at Saumur, which was taking place in the background while Ted Breaux was talking about thujone not being as prevalent as the anti-absinthe forces claimed. The liquor was just pouring off the condenser, over that big silver ball. What's the purpose of that ball?

If one hadn't known anything about Absinthe except from the episode, one would think that you had to have a spoon and sugar to drink Absinthe.

I also thought it interesting that it appeared that the only verte he drank was Jade Nouvelle-Orleans.

Finally, that Bettina is something else!

The liquor was just pouring off the condenser, over that big silver ball. What's the purpose of that ball?

I'm not totally sure I know what you mean* but I think I know what you mean and in which case, that would be water flowing over the ball, not liquor. The question is already answered in your first line: the purpose is part of the condenser system.

*If I don't know what you mean then, never mind.

emily_litella.jpg

Those people he drank with in Switzerland were VERY strange if I recall, and they started singing at some point...badly.

This actually DOES happen in the Val de Travers, even without a TV camera filming...I believe absinthe has always remained popular there because it makes these encounters more tolerable...

KB is EVERY bit as cool in real life as one would (I hope) imagine he would be... and then some. I met him 2 years back for all of 5 minutes, and a full year later, he walks up to ME, throws an arm around, and says 'Hey! Good to see ya again!'.

Class, man. Class. and KB, if you are reading this, I meant what I said. For a job as a PA on your show, you point, and that person is dead. (one needs a PA that dedicated...)

I knew absinthe was a medicinal. I didn't know it was an anesthetic.

Better than Anbesol™ when I have a gum infection, particularly the herb-heavy Montmartre.

We met him at Tales '07. Nice guy, he took time to answer questions and discuss his drink with my well inebriated Precious.

He does seem to be a good sport, I'll give him that! :thumbup:

I'll likely be at Tales, so if he is there I'll certainly say hello.