Sign in to follow this  
Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

The Thirsty Traveler

As much as I find her business tactics to be despicable and predatory, I agree, it's uncool to dog someone for their appearance.

My Grandma taught me to look at the less fortunate and think "There, but for the grace of God, go I." Be careful, 'cause God will fuck you up.

Shinsain: I recommend against AB24 for almost the same reason I do Betty: he's getting rich off the gullible and uninformed.

He used to come into the forums—still does from time to time. His response to criticism about selling Czech crap was to open a new store that sold only Spanish, French and Swiss.

Integrity is not an issue for some people. They find it impossible to say "no" to a buck.

Crap, I laughed so hard I spit all over my keyboard. Do you think they'd let me cover that tune for special music at church on Sunday?

HILLARIOUS!

sounds like the sounds from the apalachian church of the snake handlers!

thanks for the big laugh Hiram!

Hahah, my orchestra director sent me that one the other day.

I'm tempted to post Eric Idle's FCC Song, but it's so blatantly political that I'll abstain for now.

Last night I was sitting with a glass of nice vintage Port in front of the TV, watching Viasat Travel. Suddenly a glass of absinthe showed up on the screen! A programme called The Thirsty Traveller was due and my senses suddenly sharpened. The programme had "famous" participants, Bettina and TAB, not in the same scenes though.

Found it a bit "hysterical" with some misconsceptions and some nice information.

It will probably be aired (can that be said of Sat-TV?) again so if you have the possibillity, watch it.

Anyone here seen it? Taped or ripped it?

whizz

I think Thirsty Traveler managed to tackle the subject pretty well. It's hard to make a TV show about Absinthe without playing up the hallucination stories a little. They were very cautious to dispell the myths and focus on just the enchanting nature of the drink rather than saying "It'll make you trip ballz!" Much better than the portrayal given by No Reservations.

There IS a torrent for the episode, as well as all the others from seasons 1-3, and it will possibly be released on dvd in the near future (season 1 has already been released). PM me if you would like a link (it might still have seeders).

Anyone here seen it? Taped or ripped it?

I had it on a DVD. Then a local drifter on the FV forum, who came by for a drink, borrowed it, and I haven't seen it (or him) since then.

A nice enough little show. Yes, the tone made me constantly think "hey, mister, calm down a bit", but he went to Switzerland and hooked up with folks like Ted - not to Prague to meet Kyle Bairnsfather and Radomil Hill.

Nice to hear H-mar :cheers:

We said we should get together this summer to share some drinks didn't we?.

I will leave for Greece right after midsummer, but after that... middle of july to middle of august, no problemo pour moi :drunk:

I'm busy the last two weekends in july and the first one in august, but a mid-july or mid-august thing would probably be OK with me.

The episode is about a year+ old. I've seen it like 3-4 times now.

It's not bad though.

I've been telling people for what seems like forever that the Thirsty Traveler is, bar none, the luckiest fucker on Earth.

THAT job?

... /drool.

I finally watched the Thirsty Traveler absinthe episode the other night.

Had been wondering what those references to "Cousin It" were all about in a previous thread.

Now I know. :rolleyes:

Nice show!!

It was very interesting to see the giant "Tea Bag" of herbs Ted puts into the vat to color the product.

Makes you wonder, if he did that to the Blanchette...what would it be like afterwards?

You would think that the big bag of herbs would add some flavors as well. But they only leave it in for 5 or 10 minutes.

It's difficult not to say anything without coming off down right mean. Let's just leave it at, I think Ted Breaux has been a fine spokesperson for the absinthe community.

It was very interesting to see the giant "Tea Bag" of herbs Ted puts into the vat to color the product.

Makes you wonder, if he did that to the Blanchette...what would it be like afterwards?

A verte.

You would think that the big bag of herbs would add some flavors as well. But they only leave it in for 5 or 10 minutes.
That's what it's for. Otherwise, why use more than one herb? Why those particular herbs? The green color is only a bonus.

Which "they"? It's been a while since I watched it. And did they say it was "for color" or "just for color"?

Yeah, Brian, I merged all of the Thirsty Traveler threads.

Cuz, it's generally better to post in an existing topic if you have something new to contribute, rather than start a whole new thread to discuss the same topic. It makes it easier to look up things later. Otherwise you wind up wondering which of the five "Thirsty Traveler" threads you're looking for. Thanks! :cheers:

As much as I find her business tactics to be despicable and predatory, I agree, it's uncool to dog someone for their appearance.

My Grandma taught me to look at the less fortunate and think "There, but for the grace of God, go I." Be careful, 'cause God will fuck you up.