Sign in to follow this  
Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

The Thirsty Traveler

Was just playing around with my Comcast "DVR" unit today. It allows you to plug in a keyword and it will tell you if there are any upcoming shows that contain it that you can record... naturally, I typed in "Absinthe", and it popped up with a show that is on tonight [August 6th] of all things:

FINE-LIVING [204]

11:00pm - 11:30pm

"Green Fairy" Kevin Brauch harvests wormwood and helps create a new batch of absinthe.

Now... the few times I've caught an episode of "The Thirsty Traveler", I wasn't necessarily impressed with the amount of real information that it contained, so I don't necessarily hold out much in the way of hopes that this episode will be any different.

-Robert

I was just watching a show on the Travel Channel called Haunted London and they advertised a show coming up that features Absinthe at least for a bit. It is called:

Anthony Bourdain: no reservations. it airs at 10:00pm eastern on the travel channel

On the commercial spot, I saw that it was an episode on France and the host was holding an Absinthe looking bottle and asking, "so technically is this legal?" The barkeep responded, "technically... no." Then they showed the host watching a glass of bright yellow/orangejuice looking stuff in a pontarllier glass under a dripping fountain.

I was watching the Thirsty Traveller episode on absinthe (which I tend to do on a monthly basis) and I noticed that in the credits Betina is not listed in the "Special Thanks" section. If you watch the show on a regular basis, you'll notice that almost everyone that they talk to on camera ends up being thanked, especially someone that plays a major role in the episode.

So I was wondering what she could have done to make them not thank her. Any thoughts?

Edited by Hiram

Upfront she asked to be, and was to a certain extent, paid for her participation, whereas everyone else was gracious enough to offer their time, connections, materials and knowledge for the show...

Do a search on her name here and on other Absinthe forums. You will find many opinions from others and you'll probably collect enough information to form some of your own.

Investigating some of the people, references, etc. will take you farther than just that one show. :cheers:

Did this create animosity, or did they simply not thank her because she was a paid participant?

My guess would be,

Yes.

Do a search on her name here and on other Absinthe forums.  You will find many opinions from others and you'll probably collect enough information to form some of your own.

Investigating some of the people, references, etc. will take you farther than just that one show. :cheers:

Sadly I am well aware of her business "method".

My first inclination when I noticed she wasn't thanked was that she probably tried to sell them a $300 bottle of Ouzo and pass it off as La Bleue.

That makes perfect sense, it's probably pretty costly for Betina to take time off treking the globe to find her customers more substandard absinthe to charge $200+ for. Whatever they paid, they got ripped off, I found her annoying through most of it.

I know someone said to search....(puts flamesuit on) but this is something I've kind of heard rumblings about for a long time. Who is this Bettina and why does everyone hate her? She sounds like a troll trying to screw people out of money, which is reason enough, but does she run an online site, or someplace to stay away from? What's the deal?

Hmm, interesting thread. I'd heard about her before, but never thought to order from her. I use LdF pretty much for everything, but would buy from Markus or Andy I guess as they come fairly highly reccommended I suppose.

But this chick is a piece of work man. Geeze.

I use LdF pretty much for everything, but would buy from Markus or Andy I guess as they come fairly highly reccommended I suppose.

Read carefully, one of these things is not like the other. Or as G&C says, "There is no learning curve for those who PTFA." ;)

Also, all in good fun I am sure fellow WSers, but as far as Betty goes, Behavior and Honesty are important and can be helped, looks on the other hand, are not and can not. Maybe we should only get on her (no pun intended) for the stuff she can help.

Well, looks can be helped to an extent. For example, that hair. With the money she steals from others she could easily fix the afro troll doll look if she wanted too. Many here have said they wouldn't make fun of her looks if they weren't the outward display of her character.

Don't think I am not laughing, I am. I just feel badly about it, besides it is to my advantage to stop this trend before you see me!