I haven't had the regular Taboo yet (weird, because it's an easy to get, Canadian-made absinthe, and here I am in Canada, where it's not typically easy to get any decent absinthe...except this one), but yesterday put in an order for 2 bottles of the Taboo Gold. Trusting Oxy's description, I'm damned excited about it. I'll post my thoughts. Anybody, aside from Oxy, been privy to this one yet?

Oh yeah, and ... hey, guys!

:wave2:

Apparently, almost everything. This was a joint venture with Oxy using specially sourced herbs and a different production process.

An entirely new small-batch absinthe, Taboo GOLD has been developed from scratch under the

guidance of David Nathan-Maister.

Taboo GOLD is made in tiny quantities according to scrupulously researched historical principles,

using only the most carefully selected wormwood. Painstakingly naturally coloured with hyssop,

melissa and petite absinthe, the absinthe is rich, complex, and spicy, with a distinct wormwood

character and a perfect louche. This is an absinthe made without shortcuts of any kind and without

compromise.

Although some may detect a family resemblance to the regular Taboo, this is a completely different

product, with a different production protocol, and a different herb bill. The wormwood used is

specially sourced, and is not the same as the wormwood used in the regular Taboo.

Because of the limited small-batch nature of the product, and to keep costs as low as possible, Taboo GOLD is bottled in the same tall

black 50cl as the regular publicly available Taboo, but with a gold capsule, rather than the normal black one.

So what's the difference between the two other than the bottle?

The bottle, actually, is identical (sadly).

I'm going to be in Vancouver for a few days at the end of the month, so I may grab a bottle of the regular Taboo so that I can try them both, side by side.

Dunn, is it on the BCLB shelves?

Meh, I got samples when they first came around. :tongue:

But it was astounding to see how fast both rounds of samples went this time.

Besides, even if I wanted to post a review, I still can't do it. I'm not able to add reviews right now due to some software glitch.

Will the Taboo products make it to U.S. distributors?

I don't know...but I'd be more optimistic about that than I would be about it making it to Ontario distributors, funnily enough. The Taboo Gold, apparently, will only be sold on the Absinthe Classics site, keeping it in very limited supply.

Nice to see the novelty of pre-ban absinthe is wearing thin.

I expect to see a drop in price very soon.

Would that 'twere so, my good man. I'm Woulding pretty hard right now.

Well, I'm terribly ill-equiped to describe it in any great detail right now, but I love it. Sipping on my first glass, 3:1. It's got a very creamy, smooth mouthfeel. Clean. The wormwood is delicious. I don't have any frame of reference to compare it with the regular Taboo, but this seems like fine stuff to me.

There isn't any star anise in Taboo Gold.

Taboo GOLD has zero star anise. The recipe isn't a variation of the regular version, it's unrelated and entirely different. The wormwood used is also from an entirely different source.

I just got mine today! Weee! I'll be sipping on some tomorrow!

and a proper review to follow, eh?

I seriously have about 25 reviews I have written in my log, that I just need to log in and post. It's just become a daunting task now.

But yes, I'll post a review of this as well!

And I'll add the Taboo Gold category today.