hartsmar

The Absinthe Encyclopedia

Okay, if I do a couple of reviews and it's still available, then I'll reward myself. I have to take the plunge sometime. Well, maybe I don't have to, but it's for the greater good, right?

Cue the community from Hot Fuzz.

I bought mine at the advanced rate and didn't get a CDRom either. I'm not complaining.

The book is quite interesting. I haven't settled down and taken much time to go through the thing yet.

What I've seen has been worth it.

Right on, its good to hear more people speaking highly of it, can you tell I need a little convincing, since I did miss that pre-pub. sale? That note right there on the site confused me a little because its actually going for $180. right now, unless he meant 40 off the published price of 160GBP

The pre-sale is is over, he just never removed the info from his site. I just listed it to answer your question on what others paid.

I had no choice but to let that pre-pub discount pass me by, but even now I dream of owning the book...

Maybe someday soon. :pirate:

You will not find another book on absinthe like the Encyclopedia. If absinthe is an interest of yours you cannot help but like the book.

I was a little surprised, however, by the actual quality of the book itself; not by its content, but its manufacture. It feels more like a school text rather than a fine dictionary or encyclopedia.

Bibliophiles might have mixed reactions.

Do I like the Encyclopedia? Yes.

Would I buy it off the shelf after having looked at it first? Probably not.

But then again, you might never find it on the shelf for sale.

If you want one, you better put in an order. Never mind the price. :twitchsmile:

This book is excellent. It actually is the entire Virtual Absinte Museum on paper, with extras. I love this book, because it's just so comprehensive. It's also beautifully made, it feels like a collector's item already.

Oh, and no, David doesn't pay me for writing this, he should though ;)

Alan,

since your copy is clearly defective (and therefore worthless), I will gladly take it off your hands. It is the least I can do! :devil:

I just ordered a copy at long last. I'm looking forward to pouring a glass of something green and reading it cover to cover. :cheers:

It is fantastic. I am extremely pleased with my purchase!

Hmm, that sounds like eBay feedback...

I just bought a couple copies! One hardback for keeping, and one soft cover to accompany me in my travels. I'm very looking forward to reading it, cover to cover. I got a chance to check out OMG_Bill's copy in the City a while back, and I can't believe I've not bought it yet! Fixed.

Thanks David!

My only real gripes are the lack of consistency in captions/credits for images, and the lack of translations for the French quotes. The first one is an easy fix, but the second one would require considerable modification to the layout. I'll just have to befriend a Frenchman (or woman) to get the stuff translated...

But I really love the book.