The Absinthe Encyclopedia

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#31 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:45 PM

Ooh! That would make me do the happy dance!

I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.

#32 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

I've been keeping and eye on this thread to see if someone received their encyclopedia yet, but no.

My wife received an e-mail from Oxygenee saying that it should get here by next week. That should be good news for you all since it'll get to you a couple of days before me.

The wait's almost over!

:cheers:

#33 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,169 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:58 AM

Not here yet. Not even an email. When it arrives I'll post a note. *smile*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#34 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 05:09 AM

Yes I had the same inquiry and they are just slightly behind. It should ship and be here within the week. I’m excited.
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#35 Wren

Wren

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

I received word that my copy of the encyclopedia arrived yesterday (I'm traveling at the moment and will have to wait a bit until I can go through it).
"Understanding is joyous." --Carl Sagan

#36 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

It's way neat! *thumbsup*
Some folks may cringe each time I use the term "Booze" regarding these high quality drinks.
I mean no offense. There are bottles of extraordinary booze out there. I've tasted a few. Relax.

#37 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

So, OMG_Bill, are you saying that you got yours?

That means mine is almost here!

:yahoo:

#38 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

Yes, Mine arrived Monday or Tuesday. A very nice piece of work. I just looked through it briefly. The pictures of posters and the old prints and all kinds of wonderful things were really quite nice. I haven't settled down to go over it with more attention, yet.

I'm in the middle of another book and I'm only a man and can only do one thing at a time. *wink*

I honestly doubt that anyone will be disappointed. I should have bought two!

Your's should arrive soon, let us know.

The "what made you happy" thread is probably where I posted that it had arrived.

Cheers!

#39 Belarmin

Belarmin

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

My copy arrived this afternoon.

Merry Christmas!

:cheers:

#40 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Pretty dang neat isn't it.

Cheers!

#41 LeRoy

LeRoy

Shifty eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:42 AM

I'm finally getting to flip through mine. I'll be lost in this one for a while!

"We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight"
HP Lovecraft

http://yourinspirationathome.com.au

#42 fingerpickinblue

fingerpickinblue

Hallucinations Sold Separately

• Content Team
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:28 AM

I'm in the middle of another book and I'm only a man and can only do one thing at a time. *wink*

Cheers!

Yeah, I'm just a couple of chapters into the Jad Adams book, and if I pick up the encyclopedia, Jad's is going to be treated like an ex-wife, for sure! Well, this will just make me read faster!
blind man see her, dumb man call her name - Ed Bell

#43 Danny Hawaii

Danny Hawaii

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

Yesterday morning I was leaving home for work, literally on my bicycle, when some guy in a council worker's fluorescent vest said, "Hello." I responded with "Hello" and started to pedal.

Then he said, "Hello, Daniel? From number XXX?" (house number removed to protect the not-so-innocent). I said yes and he handed me a package that had an aura of absinthe about it. I was right. It was the encyclopedia.

Now my life is complete.

#44 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:31 AM

...still waiting for mine... :poke:

#45 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

Me too, glad I'm not the only one!

#46 A Medicine for Misery

A Medicine for Misery

Newcomer

• Neophyte
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:50 PM

I was a bit displeased because the shipping took so long but all of that vanished once I opened my copy. It's a beautiful book, with a whole lot of illustrations and broadsheet reproductions I haven't seen before. I think my favorite is the front side of the Chat Noir newspaper with lyrics to a song tribute to the Green Fairy. Awesome!

#47 cuz

cuz

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:18 AM

Ordered mine last night!!

#48 Mat B.

Mat B.

The Gentleman of Verona

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

I’ve had to put it in queue among several other books I am reading at the moment (just for sheer size of the encyclopedia- I can breeze through a Vonnegut book in a day) so that when I get to it I can enjoy it in its entirety. I did several flip-through’s and I am Very intrigued!
"I will show you something different from either Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you; I will show you fear in a handful of dust."
-The Waste Land

“…and it’s appropriate to serve them, as long as you serve them appropriately.”
-Jules

#49 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:19 PM

Ok, so who else is still waiting for their copy... or am I the only one?

#50 Retrogarde

Retrogarde

"historical joie de vivre" -Marlow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

Well, I'm still waiting for mine, but then I haven't actually ordered a copy yet.

Sorry Robert, that stinks! I'm sure Oxy will do right by you though.
The basic tools of the absintheur are essentially a spoon, glass, sugar cube, chilled water, and absinthe. None of the other objects are actually necessary to prepare the drink, but they are imperative for instigating a type of visual hypnosis and bringing richness to the ceremony.
--Betina J. Wittels

#51 Ken Hallenius

Ken Hallenius

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

That's going on my "when I get my tax return back" list. Me wanna.
"If you've never said anything that can be held over your head on the internet, you've never been on the internet." - Peridot

http://blog.hallenius.org

#52 OMG_Bill

OMG_Bill

Complete Absinthe Geek

• 12,169 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:34 PM

It's a neat book. I'd be happy to share or loan it. There are people in it that I know! Cooool!

I have a few other things to read in the mean time.

*smile*

#53 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,725 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

I had a similar problem with my copy of the Duplais Manual. It came about a month after everyone else's. For no apparent reason either. It was also missing the CD Rom that was supposed to be there. :thumbdown:

Other than that, I've been nothing but happy with Oxy. He's always been very helpful in fixing any problems. I once had some Jade glasses break in transit. He asked me to send a pic, which I did. He had replacements to me within 2 days.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#54 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:06 AM

Shot a quick message to Oxy, their records show the book going out in early December so it got lost in transit, they've got a new one being sent to me direct from the printers... good stuff.

#55 Bkultra

Bkultra

• PipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:56 PM

Glad it got worked out for you :thumbup:

#56 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

I want one of these so bad. My cash is better spent on actual bottles at the moment, but when I get my tax return...

#57 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:54 PM

I was going to use part of my tax return on that and some absinthes I haven't yet tried, but one of my coworkers was selling a bass amp, and another coworker is selling his father's 1968 Fender Jazz, so it's either spend the rest of my tax refund or save it. I really, really want to be responsible (especially in this economy).

But I wants it....
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#58 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Spend it! Get the guitar man!

#59 Ryan

Ryan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

I have a 1999 American Jazz bass, so I don't really need to buy the vintage one. I want it, but I keep telling myself that if it was from the pre-CBS years I could justify it. Now I'm trying to figure out if I can justify getting the Encyclopedia. I mean, I've never even posted a review.
"The decline of the aperitif may well be one of the most depressing phenomena of our time." -- Luis Bunuel

#60 Neorebel

Neorebel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

Its going to be my next frivolous expenditure... I would have it already if I didn't have to first restock myself with actual absinthe itself! You can justify it by thinking that it might not be available later-?-

Edited by Neorebel, 01 March 2009 - 03:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association