Ok, I'm going to say it. It may not be popular, it may not be the cool thing to do, but it's the truth. I don't like the L'Italienne. There, I said it. I feel better now. I love the smell. It really does make me think of smelling a beautiful woman wearing an enchanting perfume. But that's also the problem for me. I don't want to drink a woman's perfume. The first glass I had was right after popping the cork, I've waited a few days as I'd read helps the profile, but it hasn't yet......

Sorry Absomphe.

I'm another of one of those people that don't like the L'Italianne. The aroma isn't so much of a turn off for me, but the combination of flavors just doesn't do it for me the way it is now. I like to water my drinks down to 4:1, and L'It doesn't handle that well. And it's too cloying. With a lot more anise I think it could work, jmo.

And it's too cloying.

I certainly can understand someone not favoring the L'Italienne. It really is almost akin to drinking what I imagine perfume might taste like, and if such extreme floral balance isn't your thing, it's a deal-breaker.

However, cloying is definitely the opposite of the L'Italienne is...it's probably the driest absinthe I've tasted since the incredibly austere, and florally bitter Emile Gentiane.

No need for apologies, Phoenix. That's why we all have individuated palates, to favor, and savor that which pleases us the most. :cheers:

It really is almost akin to drinking what I imagine perfume might taste like...
Interesting to see what it tastes like if aged for several years with a substantial air space.

Indeed, or longer, even.

Perhaps old leathery perfume?

I don't know for certain, but the L'Italienne tastes like it's distilled using a neutral base, so I don't think it would come out to play, and overwhellm that floral balance.

I like to water my drinks down to 4:1, and L'It doesn't handle that well.

Aside from your personal taste issue with this absinthe, which is perfectly legitimate, an inflexible dilution ratio is a strange measuring stick. Different absinthes take different ratios. I'm not saying you don't know this already, DP, but why critique an individual brand for not doing well at an arbitrary ratio?

Well, Phoenix, I won't go as far down that road as you, but I must concur. L'Italienne is no doubt a fine product , and a very interesting one but I don't see myself drinking this one regularly. The perfumey thing is a nice novelty and is fun to smell but I don't want to spend my afternoon just smelling booze--at this point what I want in an Absinthe is much better served by La Coquette.

I am withholding an official review/declaration because I have had probably 2 glasses' worth, only one full serving and a # of taster shots. I also noticed the Perfumery stepping back after about 20 min in the glass and more things I like stepping forward, so I don't want to rush to judgement.

Additionally, I was a bit put off by the floaties. I must re-emphasize that these were NOT cork floaties. Yes, my cork was dry as a bone and sending off lil' tiny particles but if they were cork fragments they would float. There would be a layer of corkies on top, I pulled a number out of the La Coquette bottle that very morning, and am pretty sure of my ability to tell the difference. This stuff is vegetable matter. This was basically a bottle full of sediment in suspension. A 104 dollar bottle of sediment. After filtering it is still a bottle of sediment in suspension. Apparently presentation is more important to me than I thought' cuz that is a deal breaker AFAIC.

With that in mind I hesitate to declare an official result when I am thinking along these lines. But that is what is happening in my head right now.

Some may see it as blasphemy but I actually prefer to use L'Italienne for absinthe cocktails as the perfumey flavors liven things up a lot when mixed. On it's own it's a touch thinner than I would prefer for myself but is nevertheless a very interesting absinthe.

...the L'Italienne tastes like it's distilled using a neutral base...

Well, I certainly hope so! :tongue:

I meant as opposed to a wine base, doofus, but you knew that. :cheers:

I like to water my drinks down to 4:1, and L'It doesn't handle that well.

Aside from your personal taste issue with this absinthe, which is perfectly legitimate, an inflexible dilution ratio is a strange measuring stick. Different absinthes take different ratios. I'm not saying you don't know this already, DP, but why critique an individual brand for not doing well at an arbitrary ratio?

The ratio isn't arbitrary as at 4:1 to 5:1 the alcoholic heat dissipates and the flavors develop even more. It's also a measurement of quality, as an absinthe that becomes thin in flavor and mouthfeel has a reason for doing so.

Ok, I got my bottle of L'Italienne from storage this evening and it's had one drink from it so far. So it was opened and then put away. It isn't bad to me. The sea monkeys are present but the cork was fine. The cork didn't have a rounded end. It was flat and straight. I haven't notice any recently that weren't kind of rounded. I think the flat end may have been the culprit as far as cork chips. When I put the cork back in the bottle I may have chipped a piece or two.

The louche was very thin but it has a peculiar taste that I just can't figure out. Not offensive but something a bit different. Maybe it has angelica seed or something but it is far better than some of the recent offerings.

I'll put it up now that there is more air in the bottle and see how it performs the next time I stumble across it.

:cheers:

The ratio isn't arbitrary as at 4:1 to 5:1 the alcoholic heat dissipates and the flavors develop even more. It's also a measurement of quality, as an absinthe that becomes thin in flavor and mouthfeel has a reason for doing so.

So 53º Clandestine and 72º Edouard both get louched exactly the same at 4 or even 5 to 1, and if the Clandestine tastes overwatered it's because of poor quality?

Actually, he asked it. Badiane or not, you'll be hard pressed to convince most absinthe drinkers that Clandestine isn't excellent quality.

Certainly I would not water La Capricieuse at the same amount as La Clandestine.

The sea monkeys are present...

Not a trace of sea monkeys in my bottle. There was a little fine herbal sediment in my final glass, but otherwise it was as clear as...well, certainly not mud. :).

OK, fine herbal sediment. B)

The stuff doesn't really bother me so much. It is disturbed by the slightest movement of the bottle. I'm not going to filter it or even mess with it. I will however, open it and drink it till it either tastes bad or the bottle is empty. I enjoyed the drink last evening and the peculiar taste is merely part of the adventure.

Several other artisanal products come to mind that I would say the same about.

I really appreciate craftsmen that can live the dream.

:cheers:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this, DP.

To me, it's unimaginable to dilute every absinthe at the same ratio and expect each to be at its best, and I think that if there were one single correct ratio for all, it would have become globally accepted dogma by now.

I take your point though, (as I interpret it) that the more oils that can be brought over, the better an absinthe will stand up to dilution.

The sea monkeys are present...

Not a trace of sea monkeys in my bottle.

Nor in mine. It's only half empty so there may be some small chunks of herb toward the bottom. I've seen the same thing in every bottle of Jade I've ever gotten. I don't consider this a flaw.

I also see a lot of people describing an overwhelming perfume taste. It's been likened to reminding one of drinking perfume. I don't get that at all. The only perfume I pick up are the delicate floral notes. They are forward, but clean, not abrasive or pungent.

It doesn't take well to overwatering, I found that out. I tried it close to 4:1 and it flattened out. I like it just under 3:1. I don't see this as a flaw either, as the same can be said for many absinthes that I like, specifically the 1797 Roquette.

I haven't tried the Coquette yet. I only got 1 bottle of it so I don't want to open it. I'm weird like that.

a measurement of quality

From the woman who shattered her custom-made Dale Chihuly fountain. How quickly they get used to precise measures (even when they're imaginary).

Careful not to break your TTB approved tools. (insert pixelated pictograph of choice here).

I take your point though, (as I interpret it) that the more oils that can be brought over, the better an absinthe will stand up to dilution.

Your interpretation of my opinion is correct. I admit I wasn't thinking in terms of 53% vs 68%.

PB, please don't interpret my comments as snootiness. I am the kind of person who puts a tool back where I found it because it's a PITA to spend 3 times as much time looking for it as it would have taken to put it back where it belonged in the first place. And the regulations are very exacting about keeping track of what's done. It is a lot of paperwork, and you simply can't say "I don't feel like doing that."

I don't intend to break any of my expensive hydrometers. Of course, that's why they're called accidents.

There are only happy accidents..

OK, I am drinking this right now, and although I was a bit put off by the perfume like aroma, I have to say I quite enjoy the taste. It is a tad thin, but not what I would call poor quality. No sea monkeys at all in this bottle. Maybe I got lucky, but I would recommend this highly as something that says "I am an absinthe with that bit of variation that lends itself to the drinker who doesn't want to drink the same tasting absinthe all the time".

It doesn't take well to overwatering, I found that out. I tried it close to 4:1 and it flattened out. I like it just under 3:1. I don't see this as a flaw either, as the same can be said for many absinthes that I like, specifically the 1797 Roquette.

I haven't tried the Coquette yet. I only got 1 bottle of it so I don't want to open it. I'm weird like that.

You certainly won't encounter that "problem" (or not, to us) with La Coquette.

It louches thickly enough to stand up to any reasonable dilution.

The problem for me (and Zouave, and Donnie Darko, and another I won't name, over at Fee Verte) is a grassy underpinning that flattens out what should be a more "popping" absinthe. I taste this in every Devoille product, (I (and others) attribute it to the assemblage method of distillation. but the reviewers, (and other commenters) here haven't picked this up this characteristic, so you may not either. This aside, I think it's a rich, spicy, not overly complex, but very nice absinthe, although I wouldn't rate it nearly as high as the WS reviewers have, so far.

Every time I louche up a glass of absinthe, even if it's something I have had many times, I stop here and there to check the taste and mouth-feel. There is no perfect measurement except what one likes. Hell, the worst Czech swill can taste good with the right number of gallons of water added.

It's nice to be back..now if I can only make the two bottles last for three months, I won't have to take another leave of absence due to credit and SO problems ;)

Every time I louche up a glass of absinthe, even if it's something I have had many times, I stop here and there to check the taste and mouth-feel.
This should be stickyed.