I will post a review when the product is added. For now I'll give a run down. I love this absinthe.

I believe I was fortunate enough to stumble upon the perfect absinthe/water ratio on my first try. I watered it less than 3:1, let's call it around 2.7:1. I stopped there to taste it. I was going to add more if it needed it, but said to myself... "this is perfect".

The color was a mix of light olive and gold. I had no problem getting a nice louche out of it. It built slowly, from the bottom up. Didn't have the layering action I've seen in some absinthes or achieve that opalescence, but it became relatively thick, not too thick, with that milky green hue after locuhe you expect from a good verte. All in all I thought it was attractive. I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

As I've already noted, the aroma was wonderful. Right up there with the Belle Amie and Jade N-O. I didn't quite find it to be quite room filling as it was described by some, but very encompassing. It certainly jumps out of the glass at you during louche. It's very floral, and very well balanced. Anise plays second fiddle. That Italian wormwood was a perfect choice for this absinthe. I'm sold on this now. It's very noticeable but not overpowering. Again, great balance and it blends in well with the bouquet.

That floral bouquet explodes onto your palate, while the wormwood imparts what I found to be a desirable bitterness. It's very crisp, balanced and delicious. The fennel takes a back seat initially but then the creaminess of it comes through in the finish, which is how fennel should work in an absinthe IMHO. I believe I can see what some have described as a "harshness". I just kind of saw it as "bite", somewhat similar to what a strong ale has, and didn't find it off-putting at all. In fact I liked it and thought it was a nice contrast to some of the delicate floral notes. The finish was long, with a slight bitterness from that Italian wormwood and the creamy fennel coming through a bit more. A slight numbing sensation which I found desirable. The mouth feel wasn't as creamy as many absinthe's I've had, but not flat by any means. Considering the recipe I wasn't expecting this to be a strong point of this absinthe, but it's certainly not a liability either.

This is without doubt one of the best commercial absinthe's I've had to date. My 2 favorite were Belle Amie & Jade N-O and this is on par with them, no question about it.

I know some people are giving advice to you Stefano, and telling you "more anise", "more wormwood", ect... Feedback is always nice as far as "I liked it/I didn't like it", but I think you should just trust your own artistic vision and go in your own direction. You've made a wonderful product and I wouldn't change much, if anything. If you go trying to tweak things it could end up ruining your original vision, which would be a travesty. I look forward to trying your future creations.

Very nice "review", indeed! I can't disagree with a word of it, either.

I believe I was the first person to comment on a harsh aspect, but that was only my immediate impression upon louching my first glass (the bottle hadn't even had a chance to rest), which hadn't even chilled yet. Once it was the proper temperature, the harshness vanished, and the louche was very adequate, not to mention appropriate for such a floral absinthe.

Really nice Tally, and thanks for the appreciation!

I can assure you I trust my own vision, and I have no intention to change the recipe. But I also really value people feedback, cause I know there are many really experienced absintheurs here and on FV, and I think they can definitely help me to improve things, and give me inspiration. My only recipe dubt was with the wormwood, as actually in this batch I used 10% less than how it is supposed to be in the recipe (and in the proto). I took this decision cause the wormwood was powdered instead of whole stems cut by me, so I was concerned about a stronger release of flavours. To my taste I think I could add that 10% back in the next batch, but many (like you) find it enough as it is now, so I'm considering to leave it unchanged. Probably I'll just pour a glass while weighting the herbs and decide in that very moment :cheers:

Concerning louche and mouthfeel, I have no intention to increase anise and fennel at all, so Absomphe and zouave don't worry about that! Still I think I will be able to improve both a little bit fixing something in the process. We'll see soon, as the next distillation is scheduled in the days before absinthiades (29th september/3rd october)!

So soon?! :yahoo:

That's great news, Stefano, and I, for one, certainly trust your judgement regarding any tweaking of the next run, since it was your wondrous vision that brought us this floral beauty, in the first place. :cheers:

Many of the people giving you feedback on both sites are far more knowledgeable than myself, but I still think you should stick to your own plan. If you decide to add 10% more wormwood because it's your inclination to do so, and not merely because somebody else said "bump up the wormwood"... that's great. I just think it's fantastic as it is and I'd hate to see the wonderful balance thrown off.

Of course if you were to take my advice, that means that you should not take my advice, so that's kind of a paradox.

I'm keeping a bottle of this to age. I think it has great aging potential. I look forward to trying it along side the next batch for comparison.

Oh yeah, and I know we're not really supposed to discuss this, but... nice secondaries.

Oh yeah, and I know we're not really supposed to discuss this, but... nice secondaries.

I noticed that after my first glass, but I figured I'd let someone a little greener be the one who went out on that limb, and brought it up. :devil: ;)

Just poured out my first full serving. I notice the cork is quite dry and sends off lots of tiny pieces every time I pop it out. I noticed lots o' floaties in the glass and figured they were cork fragments. Then I took the bottle out on the porch and held it up to the sum to have a look.

in that bottle I saw more seamonkeys than I have ever, and I mean ever seen in a bottle of anything. I mean we really aren't talking sea monkeys, we are talking a fragmented horsehead Nebula in there. Chunks of floaty fuzz suspended in mid bottle, going all the way up to an inch or so below the surface. And discernible grades of it too, the really fine stuff is on the bottom and the big dust bunnies all chunky up top.

Has this happened to anyone else? It looks like I need to let this sit for a year before I can even decant the stuff!

Um, no.

In fact, I haven't had so much as a flake of cork in my L'Italienne, and I'm almost down to the bottom of the bottle.

In future, it might behoove you to invert your bottle every so often, in order to keep the cork moist.

Meanwhile, if you have a really fine strainer, this would be a good time to pour out the contents through it, and then re-decant them into the bottle...the L'Italienne is too fine an absinthe to waste!

Oh I sure as hell ain't gonna toss this one. But I don't think a strainer is gonna do the job. I have unbleached coffee filters and a spotless stainless funnel; think that would do the trick?

This is funny 'cuz the other bottle in the order(La Coquette) had a cracked cork, which came apart when I opened the thing. The glue in the T-cork was pretty well dissolved and I had to use a bit of finesse to get it out without any crumblies falling into the Booze.

The yin and yang of cork-oriented bullshite.

I have unbleached coffee filters and a spotless stainless funnel; think that would do the trick?

Those should work just fine. If there still happen to be some really fine cork floaties, just think of them as a bit of healthful extra fiber, and enjoy.

So that's what sea monkeys in an absinthe look like. I never really understood the phrase and the only reason I've held my bottles up to light before was just to see if I should feel guilty yet. There's a whole ecosystem flourishing in my bottle of L'Italienne!

buddhasynth - As far as the coffee filter thing goes. There was a debate here about whether that would strip some of the flavor away. It may not hurt to filter a dose and try a side by side comparison with an unfiltered glass and see if you can tell the difference before filtering the entire bottle.

Too late, already done. Already the stuff is looking a good bit better. I accept any change in flavour as a matter of course. These were definitely not Cork Floaties, it was Sediment from the Maceration. Much, much more than I have ever seen. In any Absinthe.

For review purposes I am using a seamonkey-free sample that was just given me. After smelling it all afternoon it's tough not to recognise it so I'm gonna base my Review impressions on it. Maybe in July of '09 or so I'll sample from the bottle. What else can a guy do?

Sedimentation from the maceration would come from the coloring. wouldn't it? If it's from the coloring it should have disolved in the alcohol. JMO

Maybe a temp issue. I'll have to give the l'itailenne (sp?) a test drive.

I base my opinion merely on things I've read.

:cheers:

Sedimentation from the maceration would come from the coloring. wouldn't it? If it's from the coloring it should have disolved in the alcohol. JMO

the Coloring step is a maceration of sorts. Where else are the critters gonna come from? I've seen it before, just not to this extent. I looked at the bottle today in the sun, it is hazy but with a much finer particulate than before. Maybe a cotton filter would be more effective? I have no idea how long it'll take to settle out.

I've seen some take weeks to settle. The seamonkeys most folks post about are so small that it appears as very fine particulate. The stuff is so fine in fact that the bottle of joy may apper clear but let it set some months and notice very fine and easily disturbed "stuff" on the bottom of the bottle.

My last bottle of VdF had some but the full bottle appeared close to pristine.

There was one bottle I found that had been stashed for quite awhile and the fine dust like stuff on the bottom was starting to affect the flavor. I let it settle and decanted it into another bottle very slowly so I wouldn't disturb the sediment. I left about an inch in the bottom. The bottm couple ounces were unpleasant and the rest was ok. <shrug>

I'm no chemist, just an end consumer. :cheers:

I'm no chemist, just an end consumer. :cheers:

Really, Bill, I hadn't a clue that your predilections ran in that direction.

I take it you must be a fan of FrASSois Guy, then. :harhar:

Returned to inspect my bottle of L'Italienne and found no detritus. Unfortunately, I also found very little absinthe remaining at the bottom. Alas.

My bottle of Blanchette is about a year and a half old and was previously pristine, now it is yellowish and has a nice layer of seamonkey fuzz. It smells delicious though.

I also have a bottle of the Eich down to the last couple inches and notably hazy. I have seen a few homemade products that similarly seem pristine until reexamined in a half year.

I am thinking of getting some really tall skinny clear bottles to decant into at this point.

And maybe a bag of cotton balls.

BTW, the l'italienne is a truly interesting product. After the dust settles(!) I will post a review but right now I am listening to NPR and getting hammered to deal with it.

I didn't run into that problem with mine. It was free of any sediment or haze. I can see what you're saying about the cork though. A couple small chunks fell into mine too when I opened it, came out in the first glass. No big deal.

I just reached the end of bottle today, and it wasn't until that final glass that I encountered a little fine herbal sediment, and it certainly didn't impact upon that incredible dry and floral flavor or bouquet, in any way.

Just shake it up and drink it.

As for you Mr. Absomphe, it depends on the end. (I know the depends remark is going to haunt me but I lacked a better word)

Ok, you guys got me salivating and my fingers found there way for the first time in two years to type in that cc number to purchase this..as well as a couple other goodies. I need to stay away from these reviews!

BTW, it's been a while..hope everyone is well..including the many many new faces here.

Drink those monkeys as well..they're good for what ails you!

Hi plunger, don't think I know you but any friend of Bob Ross is a friend of mine.

L'Italienne is very interesting, very floral, I think it's worth your while to try. Not as thick or herbal as some vertes, but that's its nature.