Sign in to follow this  
Gwydion Stone

François Guy at Liqueurs de France

...anyway...

Pensieve and I got our trifecta order from LDF last week, 3 liters of Absinthe plus shipping for a total of $254.00. I don't know about spoiling one's palate by starting with the Jades but it sure is easier on the pocketbook to experiment elsewhere. We got FG, Kübler, and Kallnacher. We tried the FG first.

I mixed it 3-1 with sugar and it tasted a bit strong so we went up to 3.5 or 4-1. Let me say, I really liked it (I'll let Pensieve give her own review). I thought it was very sweet and will probably not use sugar with it again. It had a warm, spicy taste to it and reminded me of citrus and cinnamon. I was expecting an A-bomb and was very much surprised. Unlike many of the other Absinthe's I have tried, the first half of the glass of FG was better than the second half.

The three Jades taste similar to me although I have a clear order of preference. The VdF and BdF were different than the Jades but similar to each other. The FG was really different (by the way, I also really like the spoon that came with it. It worked better than any of the others I have. Less splashing).

I liked the Kübler too but found it to be more similar in taste to the BdF. The FG was just really... unique. I am definitely in the like FG camp. Maybe I will like Serpis too. I think we will try the Kallnacher tonight.

Sadly I found the FG a bit nasty :( The flavors that Shai liked were exactly what I didn't like about it. It is very sweet and I had to drink about half a glass before I could make up my mind, I think that was mostly psychological, I really wanted to like it I just didn't.

I agree that the Kübler was similar to the BdF, but the BdF isn't my favorite either! I always preferred the VdF.

My favorite that we have tried so far has been the Edouard and I always compare it against the others, which have all been very different.

Hopefully the Kallnacher will do something for me tonight.

That is what I have enjoyed the most about absinthe...the variety and finding out what I like. I know what I like now, but that will probably change. I like FG, but not all the time. And there is life beyond the CO's...just have to be patient. Serpis is unlike any of the absinthe that you have there..I like it too! Cheers!

As I recall, the Kallnacher was an awful lot like Kuebler, but not as well made. Both the Kuebler and Kallnacher have a fennel taste that seems more like the vegetable than the seed to me, which I don't detect at all in the BdF. I rather like it, but the thing that turned me off to the BdF was that it had a really harsh underflavor. BdF used to be my favorite, so it took alot to turn me off to it. More specifically, a side-by-side tasting with the Bugnon Clandestine.

I might also note that every epiphany I've ever had about absinthe taste has been brought about by side-by-side comparisons. I suggest everyone to try it.

The three Jades taste similar to me although I have a clear order of preference.

Interesting. I've never heard that view before (unless it's in regard to their all tasting Burnt™) Could you provide more detail?

I have done side by side blind comparisons of the VS and NO, and at another time, the BdF and VdF. Each time I found them to be difficult to distinguish by nose or tongue. When I drank the NO I remember thinking "I don't like this as much as the VS" and I thought I liked the Edouard more than either of the other jades but I have only had a bottle of each so far. Al three seemed 95% the same to me with a 5% variation of taste or smell. The dF's were very different from the Jades and now that I am trying the FG, Kübler, and Kallnacher, I find them all to be much more different from eachother.

In most cases, we are talking about the differences between Coke and Coke Classic rather than Coke, Pepsi, and RC, or even more dramatic, Coke and diet coke

you know, I am sure you are right. My palate develops as I go along as well. Unfortunately, I can't afford to stock all kinds at once.

Just to be clear, I do notice a big difference between the Jades, Kallnacher, and VdF. I do not notice a big difference between the VS vs NO or the BdF vs. VdF.

There are almost always going to be similarities between products from the same producer.

"I can't afford to stock all kinds at once. "

So what you do is always save back about a quarter of a bottle before ordering the next stash. After a while you'll have a bunch of bottles with 4 or 5 drinks each and you guys can have you're own tasting.

That's what I do..of course when you have 12 bottles open with 4-5 drinks in each it's harder to decide what to drink..kinda like standing in the cereal aisle at the grocery :P

There is no cereal scarier than "Cap'n Crunch". Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it. Why I even have teeth left after eating as much of those sugary cereals (as a kid), I don't know... Probably explains why I don't use sugar in absinthe.

Captain Toothache

Frosted Enamal Shards

Coco Lispies

Grape nut pebbles

Super Golden fillings crisp

Frankencarries

I'll be damned! The cereal is probably not as noxious as Cap'n Crunch, but that marketing is a killer! Clowns! Next to puppets, nothing gives me a worse case of the willies...

Absomphe and I are old enough to remember when Rice Krinkles were represented by a politically incorrect animated asian kid named So Hi.

So Hi was even more offensive than the Frito Bandito. He had his own cartoon too. Every episode ended with a little Confucius-like saying that began;

"Moral of story honorable children friends..."

However, I do really like François Guy. (Back on topic - kind of)

Getting back on the off topic... Remember, as long a one clown is oppressed, no one is free. (Legal Disclaimer -- The preceding was not a political statement. Tax, tax and destination charges not included. Actual mileage may vary. Do not remove this tag under penalty of law.)

post-164-1129907741_thumb.jpg