Gwydion Stone

Sugar Poll: Go Vote

Veni, vidi, vici..
...runs through the town;

upstairs and downstairs,

in his night gown...

So youre saying the Roman soldiers didn't have ANY sugar in 'em? Somehow I doubt that.

They did have Nipple Rings though.

Hey, it was fun meeting you the other day. Sadly, that's as much of a myth as hallucinogenic absinthe. Doug Malloy—easily the father of the modern piercing movement—made it up, as reported by Jim Ward. That stuff about the PA? Also BS:

The impact the “Piercing Brief” has had is phenomenal. It was widely distributed and reprinted and contained many of the colorful myths that persist and, to some extent have been widely accepted as fact. There has never been any proof to substantiate, among other things that:

1. Roman Centurians wore nipple rings to which they attached short capes.
  2. Navel piercings were a sign of royalty in ancient Egypt.
  3. Beau Brummell and Prince Albert had their penises pierced.
  4. Arab boys had the side of their scrotums pierced at puberty.
  5. Male South Pacific islanders did the Guiche piercing.

The evidence on which Doug based his Roman Centurians claim was a Baroque statue he’d seen in Versailles. He showed me a photograph. I pointed out to him that Roman military men frequently wore metal breastplates sometimes sculpted to resemble a muscular male chest. The rings with cape attached were in the breastplate, not the man. Doug paused for a moment to ponder my observation, then replied, “Well, it makes a good story anyway.” There are actually very few body piercings which have a documented history.

The impact the “Piercing Brief” has had is phenomenal. It was widely distributed and reprinted and contained many of the colorful myths that persist and, to some extent have been widely accepted as fact. There has never been any proof to substantiate, among other things that:

1. Roman Centurians wore nipple rings to which they attached short capes.
  2. Navel piercings were a sign of royalty in ancient Egypt.
  3. Beau Brummell and Prince Albert had their penises pierced.
  4. Arab boys had the side of their scrotums pierced at puberty.
  5. Male South Pacific islanders did the Guiche piercing.

The evidence on which Doug based his Roman Centurians claim was a Baroque statue he’d seen in Versailles. He showed me a photograph. I pointed out to him that Roman military men frequently wore metal breastplates sometimes sculpted to resemble a muscular male chest. The rings with cape attached were in the breastplate, not the man. Doug paused for a moment to ponder my observation, then replied, “Well, it makes a good story anyway.” There are actually very few body piercings which have a documented history.

Well, that shows my ignorance of piercing and whatever history it might have. I remember reading all of the above back in the early 90's. I'll admit it, I think piercing is dumb as mud. There, I said it.

it was fun meeting you as well. Hope to do so again sooner than later.. :wave2:

And I don't use sugar, it tastes Icky as hell to me.

Why is there no choice for Human Blood?

I have always been one to Choose My Own Adventure.

If you think this is splendid, turn to plate 36.

If you sickened at the thought, turn to plate 23.

If you could go either way, really, turn to plate 42.

I voted once when the poll first appeared. Today I tested whether I could vote again, and found I could. Are you able to remove one notch to the "often" column?