9 replies to this topic

#1 Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Robert (DrinkBoy) Hess

Advanced Member

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:33 AM

Just ran across this article, and felt it was fairly appropriate for this audience.

http://www.msnbc.msn...0377/?GT1=43001

Dying for a salad? You may be, if you eat this...
Chef apologizes after accidentally recommending potentially deadly plant

Celebrity chef Anthony Worrall Thompson has apologized after accidentally recommending in a magazine article that the weed henbane (also known as stinking nightshade), a potentially deadly plant, made an excellent addition to summertime meals.

After all, there was plenty of it, it grew locally and was used by the ancient Greeks and the Arabs for its anesthetic properties.

Er, not quite.

Henbane, or Hyoscyamus niger, is toxic and can cause hallucinations, convulsions, vomiting and in extreme cases death.

Worrall Thompson, who was discussing his passion for organic foods, had confused the plant with another of a similar name.

The magazine Healthy & Organic Living printed an urgent warning: “Henbane is a very toxic plant and should never be eaten. As always, check with an expert when foraging or collecting wild plants.”

Henbane, a close relative of deadly nightshade, was used by Dr. Crippen to kill his wife in 1910, and is thought to have been the main ingredient in the poison Romeo took in Shakespeare's play “Romeo and Juliet.”

The chef had intended to refer to fat hen, a weed rich in vitamin C, that is edible, media reports said.

It too can be harmful because of its high level of nitrates, but cases of poisoning are rare, Garden Organic said on its Web site.

Worrall Thompson was reported in the media as saying the confusion had been “a bit embarrassing.

“There have been no reports of any casualties,” he said.

“Please do pass on my apologies.”

#2 chrisemt74

chrisemt74

• Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:36 AM

"Celebrity chef"...huh? I wonder if he poisoned somebody famous. Somebody like Marilyn Manson? And then, after hallucinating, "Manson's Own" salad dressing....
I gotta fever, and the only perscription is...more cowbell.

#3 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

Mandressing sounds even worse than Mansinthe.
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#4 Daegul

Daegul

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:22 AM

Methinks that the FDA might not be keen on the toxic hallucinagens; even if they are organic! :twitchsmile:

On the plus side, it actually would cause you to see things, unlike absinthe. :arrr:
"My experiences with my fellow men have proven to me that very, very few of them would be willing to listen; and of those few who listen even fewer would be willing to act on what they have listened to; and of those who are willing to act even fewer have enough personal power to profit by their acts." -D.J.

#5 Jonathan D.

Jonathan D.

Really Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:24 AM

No mention of Poke? Pshaw.

#6 Gwydion Stone

Gwydion Stone

Propriétaire

• Root Admin
  • 11,236 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 12:05 PM

Henbane ... is thought to have been the main ingredient in the poison Romeo took in Shakespeare's play “Romeo and Juliet.”

Ah, journalism; speculating on fiction.

Mandressing sounds even worse than Mansinthe.

Must.. not... go there! Must... resist.. straight line. Resolve fading...

Maker of Marteau Absinthe
Master Distiller, Gnostalgic Spirits Distillery
www.absinthemarteau.com
Confessions of an Absinthiste

#7 Wilson

Wilson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

I am trying to resist it too, and I am having a hard time. There are so many things that can be said about it. So tempting.

#8 thetripscaptain

thetripscaptain

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:13 AM

Henbane is one of the many Solanaceae plants containing alkaloids of the tropane variety, such as Hyoscyamine, Scopolamine, and Atropine. All these chemicals are currently used as pharmaceutical medications in their pure form. It would definately not be wise to eat henbane, however other members of the Nightshade family can be eaten such as tomatoes, potatos, and eggplants. Also related to tobacco. Every now and then some misguided kids eat one of the poisonous nightshades and the results aren't good.

I like to grow poisonous nightshades in my garden... the animals won't eat the deadly ones so they actually make it through the summer. :) And they look nice... A picture of Henbane can be found here:

http://weeds.hotmeal...st_B_Part1.html

... look what else is there.

I haven't grown henbane but I've grown some relatives such as Datura (Angel's Trumpet). But here I go, rambling about nightshades again...

One of mine:

Posted Image

... it's a Datura.

Edited by thetripscaptain, 23 March 2009 - 08:14 AM.

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh
Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced. - Terence McKenna
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

#9 Brian Robinson

Brian Robinson

Shabba

• Advisory Board
  • 12,781 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:27 AM

Attached File  threadnecromancyns1nf0.jpg   20.4KB   0 downloads

:devil:
Answers to common newcomer questions.

List of WS articles from across the web.

Help other absintheurs and newcomers by submitting a review. Click here to go to the main review page to submit your entry.

Rantings of a DC Gourmand.
WS on the Mutineer Blog!

#10 thetripscaptain

thetripscaptain

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:11 AM

Dammit I'm new. And I like plants. Had to do it.

:tongue:
Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. - Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh
Animals are something invented by plants to move seeds around. An extremely yang solution to a peculiar problem which they faced. - Terence McKenna
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Copyright © 2014 The Wormwood Society Absinthe Association