Jonathan D.

I thought I'd seen it all

My wife was in our liquor shop just after the LTV came out, she saw "Absinthe" on the label, and thought she'd do me a kindness.

So I was presented this oddly-shaped bottle, in its cardboard protective tube, and first did a search to see if it was any good. The reviews, all being uniformly negative, had me worried that my bride had wasted $65, but I was just silly enough to pop it open anyway. The color was incredibly off-putting, but it smelled refreshing and louched up just fine.

My verdict: minty, not bitter at all (didn't need any sugar, that's for sure), and light in body. Does indeed look exactly like Scope, but frankly tastes a bit better. ;)

I'd never buy LTV again, but it's not like it won't have a place on my shelf, in between the Serpis Red and the Green Devil...

They might have changed the recipe because the sample I have doesn't louche.

That said, I don't think it's an absinthe. It's got have more than just some wormwood to call it absinthe. Otherwise, how do you get a standard of identity for the spirit? It'd be silly to have absinthe gin, absinthe rum, and absinthe whiskey.

It'd be interesting if there was a way to naturally color it blue (some flower?), but who knows what that could do to the flavor. Hm. Maybe improve it. But definitely some serious anise, and some fennel. Maybe back off the eucalyptus. Replace some of it with spearmint, maybe.

I'm not opposed to unusual in an absinthe, but we hardly have the usual available yet.

People will not shut up about it on my blog. I want to delete all their posts, but I am in no way into censorship. I only hope more experienced people will counterbalance the flow. At least let the spice flow.

BTW- Borage is what happens when I watch just about any sporting event sober, 'cept for maybe Xtreme Full Contakt Golf. Wikkid.

I keep hoping Le Tourment Verte (and others) will re-think what they're doing and strive for a traditional absinthe.

Thanks, or not, to T73 I had my first taste of Le Tourment Verte and it remains to this day the only absinthe I sinked. I think it would fit right in at the Piggly Wiggly right next to the Listerine.

We've been waiting all summer for another absinthe to hit our shelves. All we've had until now was St. George.

And then the Torment came upon us.

The manager printed himself a sign on lime green paper for all to see touting it as "the real deal".

I feel like buying a bottle and forcing him to drink it.

I'm wondering now if LTV can be used in a cocktail, as they seem to be aiming in their marketing campaign, but in such a way as it will help it along towards a more traditional flavour. For example, just off the top of my head, like this:

1 oz. LTV

1 oz. Arak

1 tbsp. Maraschino Liqueur

Add all ingredients to shaker over ice, shake vigorously, strain into cocktail glass. Flame lemon twist over drink, toss twist into drink and serve.

My thoughts on these ingredients are as follows: the LTV is sweet on its own, and needs more anise. Arak has that anise flavor, but needs sweetness to cool it down. The maraschino brings a citrus highlight, complimentary to the mint evident in the LTV. The flamed lemon twist is an affectation, but the lemon oil adds a bit of mouth feel that will compliment the light louche.

Anyone want to suggest a name?

Ken, think of the children. Get that crap out of the house.

Do you want them telling their friends you have LTV in the cabinet or worse, on the table?

Ken's Torment sounds about right. *fork in the winking eye*

Although I don't like it as an absinthe, it does work very well as a substitute for Fernet Branca in some recipes.

Came up with the Harlequin:

3 oz. Orange Juice

1 oz. Pisang Ambon

1/2 oz. Domaine de Canton

1/2 oz. Velvet Falernum

1/4 oz. LTV

several drops of Pimento dram

shake with ice

Strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with a slice of orange and cherry.

The name came from the shade of green it turns when mixed.

That's interesting. I guess it would work well in small amounts, but aside from the non-absinthy eucalyptus/ sports cream flavor, something about the cheap alcohol base really turns me off in large doses.

RE: Name suggestion for Ken's concoction- "Polished Turd" ;)

I tried my proposed beverage earlier tonight. No go. Even after adding 1/2 oz. of simple syrup, it's just not going to redeem the LTV. What can I say, I'm no mixologist. I hope I get at least partial credit for trying.

It looks like "Polished Turd" would be a generous name! :puke:

What could be worse than paying $70 for a bottle of LTV?

Paying over $200 for a bottle of KOSG.

But Oxy did it for posterity, and then shared the "wealth", that crazy, wonderful man. :laugh:

Anyone want to suggest a name?

Tormented Turk aux Cerise Plastique ?

:)

I give Ken props for trying to make the best of his ladies' non-absinthe gift. I mentioned in another thread that I got a bottle, lured by the packaging (at least I did not pay over $70!). I also mentioned in another thread that I broke my right femur recently, and would not want to repeat either experience.

It is not a bad liquor, it is just an awful absinthe. I found that 40ml 5:1 in ice cold seltzer was very pleasant, maybe it finds its way into some frappe-like potions. I think mixing it with something more predominately anise might be interesting. But it is not just a blue-nosed absinthe reindeer, it is a blue-nosed aardvark, and so the other absinthe reindeer are right to bar it from their games.

To 'fix' it, I don't have the wherewithal, but certainly to cut back on the dominant coriander-ish flavor by about 75% and then include some more anise.